Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #29
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Could've_had_a_V8 View Post
Good luck on your search. I really love my V6 M6. I'm still in the break in period, so my mpg is not reliable yet. But one thing you mentioned that would be important to you is tire life. The RS package comes with Goodyear F1 all season runflat tires that have a treadwear rating of 500 (if I'm not mistaken). That said, I'm not fond of them - too loud and too harsh. I personally am looking forward to replacing them with non-runflats.
The run flat's concern me. Not too much locally, but as I travel around Montana, Idaho and Nevada. TONS of rural areas where the nearest Chevy dealer or tire shop that can supply a Camaro tire...can be a hundred miles away...or more. And many areas with ZERO cell service.

I am probably going to add NON run flats and a quality tire repair kit with a small compressor. I used a small kit and compressor for years with my old BMW GS bike. I repaired three tires with that kit over the years on bikes and it worked fine.

Hoping to drive an NPP car tomorrow...that will make up my mind on exactly what options I want.

Thanks for the info too.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:17 AM   #30
synaptik

Drives: 2016 2lt RS
You will love the sound of the NPP, I know I do. As for the tires you can always replace them and the rims too if you dont like them. I dont think theres enough room for a donut in the trunk but def a little compressor and sealant kit you can prob get the dealer to give you one for free, I have heard of others doing so.
synaptik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:24 AM   #31
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
There are three things that should determine if you buy a V-6 or a V-8: Budget, experience with the V8, and your particular life situation. If you can't afford it, then the V-6 is your answer. If you have V8 and experienced it , you will determine whether you need to have one, or can do without one. And lifestyle situation; are you around town person? or are you somebody That is going to use the V8 because you can't live without the sheer torque and exhilaration?

I owned two Chevy V8s, one in a 13 SS and the new C7 Corvette. I loved them both. However when I went to look for a car this time, budget was not a problem.I knew the 335 hp in a V6 Was more than I needed to be my daily driver around town and the occasional long trip. I have not been disappointed. It's all the car I need, I don't worship my rides ( I have, but not now) and I'm very satisfied. I would get the NPP on either car.

Last edited by Glen e; 11-10-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #32
monkeychops

Drives: 2016 V6 6 speed
Good Call Glen
I'm in the same boat......drove a 6 speed V6 was happy with the power it provided on good ole 87 octane.
Plenty fast enough for an old guy like Me.
Heck the turbo 4 was fast enough but I hate having to put premium in to get all my ponies.
monkeychops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #33
synaptik

I drive almost all in city/traffic so the v8 would never really get opened up enough to justify it to me. I dont go to the track, I dont race on the street even when there is room, if anything I might autocross at some point if i feel the need to get some extra kicks and the v6 is great for that also.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:13 PM   #34
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
it's funny, the first time I test drove the car I am driving now, it seemed slow with no power. I looked down at the buttons on the console. Hmm, what does this do? switched from snow/ice to sport. Bam, the car lurched forward with some instant torque. Oh hell yea there we go....this thing boogies!! then signed on the dotted line a few days later. My previous car was a 2012 RS w/v6 6spd manual. Almost full track prepped. The 2016 gave me instant gratification. it impressed me.
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #35
synaptik

yea i traded in my 2015 1lt RS with a k&n typhoon intake for my 2016 2lt RS and haven't done anything to it at all yet and its noticeably better to me.

I can't wait to get out of break in period lol
Old 11-11-2016, 03:03 PM   #36
Ravenmore

Drives: 2016 RS
Man I must be getting crappy gas mileage. I get a little over 17 mpg around town. Only been on one road trip since I got it and the best mileage I got there was 29.7. Central Texas is more hilly than people realize though.
Ravenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:46 PM   #37
central limit

Drives: 2016 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenmore View Post
Man I must be getting crappy gas mileage. I get a little over 17 mpg around town. Only been on one road trip since I got it and the best mileage I got there was 29.7. Central Texas is more hilly than people realize though.
Those numbers are fine, IMO. I get 17 frequently in traffic even with a light foot, and the difference between your 29.7 and others' 33 is insignificant. This would barely make a difference in annual fuel cost unless you're driving a ton of miles, like 20k+ a year.
central limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:56 PM   #38
Frank237

Drove an NPP car today....VERY nice sounds.

Now I have to make some decisions. Either order a stripped 1 SS car or take a 2 LT my local dealer has that's coming in. The latter has all the options I want as well as in Hyper Blue Metallic.

Patience is not one of my strong points. I'm a big fan of "instant gratification" . So a car in a few days, versus two months , is appealing.

Have some decision making to do. Headed out to the garage with a beverage and a good cigar I have been saving for such a situation.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:55 AM   #39
Could've_had_a_V8

Drives: 2016 RS V6 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank237 View Post
The run flat's concern me. Not too much locally, but as I travel around Montana, Idaho and Nevada. TONS of rural areas where the nearest Chevy dealer or tire shop that can supply a Camaro tire...can be a hundred miles away...or more. And many areas with ZERO cell service.

I am probably going to add NON run flats and a quality tire repair kit with a small compressor. I used a small kit and compressor for years with my old BMW GS bike. I repaired three tires with that kit over the years on bikes and it worked fine.

Hoping to drive an NPP car tomorrow...that will make up my mind on exactly what options I want.

Thanks for the info too.
You're welcome! I have the same feeling plans - swap to non-runflats and stick a good tire inflation kit in the trunk. Good luck with your decision!
Could've_had_a_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #40
Frank237

UPDATE

I have seldom agonized over any decision, like I have , concerning this car.

I let AVAILABILITY influence my thinking more than I should have. I originally drove a 2SS car and that was what gave me the biggest thrill.

I can't rationalize what a 2SS will run but couldn't get away from the LT1 and the NPP. LOVED the sound and the performance.

So....My Dealer found my a hyper blue 1SS, A8, NPP, blk wheels and not much else.
Should be here on Wednesday.

Appreciate all the input here. I'll post some pics when it comes in.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #41
JTFIFTY

Drives: 2017 50th edition
I have enjoyed reading this thread. Congrats on choosing the LT1 with NPP. That is the best combo hands down and you will have zero regrets. Welcome to the Camaro family and post us some pics when you get your new ride!
Old 11-12-2016, 05:35 PM   #42
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank237 View Post
UPDATE

I have seldom agonized over any decision, like I have , concerning this car.

I let AVAILABILITY influence my thinking more than I should have. I originally drove a 2SS car and that was what gave me the biggest thrill.

I can't rationalize what a 2SS will run but couldn't get away from the LT1 and the NPP. LOVED the sound and the performance.

So....My Dealer found my a hyper blue 1SS, A8, NPP, blk wheels and not much else.
Should be here on Wednesday.

Appreciate all the input here. I'll post some pics when it comes in.
Nice and you didnt have to wait 2+ months. Don't forget the pics when you get it!
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote