Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 05-10-2016, 12:03 PM   #15
Magna_Flow

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Cool. Any chance for a full catback or is the AFM valving a limitation/obstacle?
No problem with the AFM, we just determined from our past experience that the main focus of the V6 community is on axleback systems. We are not developing a catback at this time, but wouldn't say the possibility is off the table!
Magna_Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #16
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna_Flow View Post
No problem with the AFM, we just determined from our past experience that the main focus of the V6 community is on axleback systems. We are not developing a catback at this time, but wouldn't say the possibility is off the table!
understandable.

ive seen some pics on phasteks site, but you may know a bit more indepth, but I take it theres not a lot of crushed/crimped sections like on the 5th gens???

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #17
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Somebody will still have to show me where the AFM valves are on a V-6… I can't find them and I've had my entire car installed with an axle back and they are not there on the V6 automatic. AFM valves are only on the V8 as far as I can tell
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #18
bdar66

Drives: 2016 camaro lt2 rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Somebody will still have to show me where the AFM valves are on a V-6… I can't find them and I've had my entire car installed with an axle back and they are not there on the V6 automatic. AFM valves are only on the V8 as far as I can tell
ill talk some pics of the underside of my car so you can compare to a m6 this weekend. if you would like
bdar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:49 AM   #19
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...rts-s/1284.htm

Look towards the bottom. Entire underside of car, but look near the diff. It says adaptive valve on it. Chances are when they removed yours they took it out.

The mrt axlebacks seem to remove em altogether. Prob what many will do.

Granted it may be an automatic/manual difference.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 05-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #20
Magna_Flow

Quote:
understandable.

ive seen some pics on phasteks site, but you may know a bit more indepth, but I take it theres not a lot of crushed/crimped sections like on the 5th gens???
Right! All of the systems will be mandrel-bent (as opposed to crush bent) stainless steel tubing, with smoother bends than stock, and 1/4" wider for increased flow!
Old 05-11-2016, 04:18 PM   #21
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Right! All of the systems will be mandrel-bent (as opposed to crush bent) stainless steel tubing, with smoother bends than stock, and 1/4" wider for increased flow!
wouldnt doubt anything less from MagnaFlow. been using your systems since 2001....99 cavalier (172k miles), 07 charger (244Kmiles), 13 Camaro (101Kmiles), and now waiting for the 16 Camaro (2100miles on the odo) offerings.

was referring to the 5th gen stock exhaust though, there were a lot of flat crimped spots. went with the 15090 to get pipes that were uniform in diameter

Old 05-11-2016, 04:22 PM   #22
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Nobody took my valves out. I stood there and watched all the work done on my car. Granted I do have the V6 automatic. But it does not have any adaptive valves on it all the way up to the main cats. I discussed this with Ricardo and he couldn't come up with them either.

Last edited by Glen e; 05-11-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:03 PM   #23
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
wouldnt doubt anything less from MagnaFlow. been using your systems since 2001....99 cavalier (172k miles), 07 charger (244Kmiles), 13 Camaro (101Kmiles), and now waiting for the 16 Camaro (2100miles on the odo) offerings.

was referring to the 5th gen stock exhaust though, there were a lot of flat crimped spots. went with the 15090 to get pipes that were uniform in diameter
The crimped pipes are there for noise tuning and sometimes clearance. You're really not going to see anything in the way of performance increase by replacing them with round sections. If you wanna make them round just to be nicer looking, fine, but you risk re-introducing whatever unwanted sound those pieces were meant to tune out.
cellsafemode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:56 PM   #24
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
The crimped pipes are there for noise tuning and sometimes clearance. You're really not going to see anything in the way of performance increase by replacing them with round sections. If you wanna make them round just to be nicer looking, fine, but you risk re-introducing whatever unwanted sound those pieces were meant to tune out.
Beg to differ on that.

By no means am I a newbie to exhaust, Intakes, performance and tuning. What worked when I started in cars almost 2 decades ago, still works. Things may have gotten more fancy and hi tech, but the basics will always work.

I ran a Dashlogic to monitor quite a few things on the 5th gen. Sadly I couldn't use my diablosport trinity to datalog and adjust tunes as I did in the charger, but the Palmer product was good enough for occasional track use and daily driving.

Sound I wasn't worried about with the 15090 setup from magnaflow. I knew it was gonna be loud, so I added the resonators in the rear. Started with just mrtv2s, then the x pipe, then upgraded to a catback. Not many have experience with a full catback, which I'm used to, and gains are to be had. Every bit helps when you go n/a. Most on the forums aren't into performance...just looks and sound. There's still a few of us that tinker...not many, but a few.

But as with performance and efficiency goes... a pipe only flows as well as its smallest diameter. Which is part ofor the reason we port things on the intake side. The exhaust side benefits from being open just the same.

With that being said, crimped and clamped pipes, decrease efficiency. exhaust flow and velocity are both direct factors for performance. The more efficient something is the more power it makes per say since more can be sent to the wheels rather than lost from the engine doin work.

Going from stock exhaust, to an aftermarket with less restrictions, 32mpg easy on the lfx. That was up from a previous best of 29-30 on a good day. Took less to break the tires loose as well in cornering and acceleration.

Currently I'm getting 35-37mpg on the lgx. If I can do a bit better, I'm willing to try.

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 05-11-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #25
ussj4brolli

Drives: 2x 94:Z28s - 2x95:Z28s - 1x16:1LT
Quote:
Beg to differ on that.

By no means am I a newbie to exhaust, Intakes, performance and tuning. What worked when I started in cars almost 2 decades ago, still works. Things may have gotten more fancy and hi tech, but the basics will always work.

I ran a Dashlogic to monitor quite a few things on the 5th gen. Sadly I couldn't use my diablosport trinity to datalog and adjust tunes as I did in the charger, but the Palmer product was good enough for occasional track use and daily driving.

Sound I wasn't worried about with the 15090 setup from magnaflow. I knew it was gonna be loud, so I added the resonators in the rear. Started with just mrtv2s, then the x pipe, then upgraded to a catback. Not many have experience with a full catback, which I'm used to, and gains are to be had. Every bit helps when you go n/a. Most on the forums aren't into performance...just looks and sound. There's still a few of us that tinker...not many, but a few.

But as with performance and efficiency goes... a pipe only flows as well as its smallest diameter. Which is part ofor the reason we port things on the intake side. The exhaust side benefits from being open just the same.

With that being said, crimped and clamped pipes, decrease efficiency. exhaust flow and velocity are both direct factors for performance. The more efficient something is the more power it makes per say since more can be sent to the wheels rather than lost from the engine doin work.

Going from stock exhaust, to an aftermarket with less restrictions, 32mpg easy on the lfx. That was up from a previous best of 29-30 on a good day. Took less to break the tires loose as well in cornering and acceleration.

Currently I'm getting 35-37mpg on the lgx. If I can do a bit better, I'm willing to try.
Theres a video (too lazy to grab it right now) showing them dynoing an engine stick, and bashing the good god out of the headers, and made ZERO decrease. actually MADE MORE HP at the end of the RPM range...so......
ussj4brolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #26
Magna_Flow

Quote:

Thank you for your continued support! Are you referring to this?

That's some shading on the render to help show the contour of the pipe, but we can understand why it could look like a crease. We'll have to look into that...

Heres a real-life picture of that same section of pipe:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1380192997
Old 05-13-2016, 10:14 AM   #27
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussj4brolli View Post
Theres a video (too lazy to grab it right now) showing them dynoing an engine stick, and bashing the good god out of the headers, and made ZERO decrease. actually MADE MORE HP at the end of the RPM range...so......
You do realize on the lgx and lfx, there are NO headers.... so....:

But to add to that, not sure if you knew, but tuning an exhaust is no different than an intake. Longer runners on the intake have a different effect than shorter ones. Same with exhaust, for cars that actually have headers, short tubes function different than long tubes, and that's not even discussing a tri-y setup.

This is all a determinant of where the power gained will be at in the rpm range.

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 05-13-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:18 AM   #28
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Thank you for your continued support! Are you referring to this?

That's some shading on the render to help show the contour of the pipe, but we can understand why it could look like a crease. We'll have to look into that...

Heres a real-life picture of that same section of pipe:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1380192997
That's around the same section, but referrinG to the stock pipes...

Here's a pic of how the stock v6 lfx pipes were

Which is why I upgraded.