Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-02-2017, 08:04 PM   #29
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Going into a ZL1 1LE, we all already know it is a stiff ride. Commenting that it is a stiff ride is a bit redundant. Nobody anywhere at anytime should be surprised if the ride is too stiff for them. But that is just it. It is too stiff for you. The ride is not horrible or terrible. They made the car to ride exactly how it rides. It's more that you personally can't handle it. Just like some people can't handle the power of a Hellcat. Should I say the Hellcat is uncontrollable? No. See my point?

From the very start several people told you that the ZL1 1LE was not for you and the ZL1 was better suited. This is because comfort is obviously a huge concern for you based off your posts. You mentioned how cramped the standard ZL1 was. So considering all of this, why you'd get in a ZL1 1LE is beyond me. In fact, the ZL1 might not be for you at all. You might be better off in a CTS-V or maybe even a 5th Gen ZL1. I would suggest you start looking at those. Because all I see is buyer's remorse if you get a 6th Gen ZL1.

So I gotta say either get the car or don't. You have more than enough info to make a decision. If you're still on the fence then please do yourself a favor and do not buy one at all. If you're swaying towards it then go ahead and get it. Or do this...buy a used 6th Gen SS. Drive it for a few months to a year and see how you like it. After that, imagine it being faster and handling better. If that is desirable to you at that point in time then go ahead and upgrade to the ZL1. If not then keep the SS, get rid of the SS, or mod the SS. At least you wouldn't have dumped over $60K into something. That might be your best option. But do something...
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:29 PM   #30
TheShooter
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Charger Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Going into a ZL1 1LE, we all already know it is a stiff ride. Commenting that it is a stiff ride is a bit redundant. Nobody anywhere at anytime should be surprised if the ride is too stiff for them. But that is just it. It is too stiff for you. The ride is not horrible or terrible. They made the car to ride exactly how it rides. It's more that you personally can't handle it. Just like some people can't handle the power of a Hellcat. Should I say the Hellcat is uncontrollable? No. See my point?

From the very start several people told you that the ZL1 1LE was not for you and the ZL1 was better suited. This is because comfort is obviously a huge concern for you based off your posts. You mentioned how cramped the standard ZL1 was. So considering all of this, why you'd get in a ZL1 1LE is beyond me. In fact, the ZL1 might not be for you at all. You might be better off in a CTS-V or maybe even a 5th Gen ZL1. I would suggest you start looking at those. Because all I see is buyer's remorse if you get a 6th Gen ZL1.

So I gotta say either get the car or don't. You have more than enough info to make a decision. If you're still on the fence then please do yourself a favor and do not buy one at all. If you're swaying towards it then go ahead and get it. Or do this...buy a used 6th Gen SS. Drive it for a few months to a year and see how you like it. After that, imagine it being faster and handling better. If that is desirable to you at that point in time then go ahead and upgrade to the ZL1. If not then keep the SS, get rid of the SS, or mod the SS. At least you wouldn't have dumped over $60K into something. That might be your best option. But do something...

What a strange set of comments. I never said comfort was a huge concern. I only said I was concerned about back seats. I never said the ZL1 was cramped. I like the legroom. It's cramped in the back. I've driven Lambo's, GT3, and several other cars that can scurry around a track as fast or faster than a Camaro. Among them the 1LE has the harshest ride. Saying it is what it is? Rather silly. The ride is awful by ANY standard, even amongst supercars that I've driven.

I have made a decision. The ZL1 1LE is not the better car (for me) because it's not versatile. I like a car with some versatility and that's the ZL1. I only just came to this decision because I wanted to get behind the wheel.

You see, I trust one person when it comes to a subjective valuation like handling or ride quality. That's me. Everyone's different.

BTW, the owner of the 1LE I drove is reading this thread. He's not going to chime in because he doesn't want a war. The 1LE is one of his favorite cars, though he likes his GT350R just as much. He agrees that the Camaro ride is terrible. Actually, before I drove it, he said "Get ready for the best and the worst."

He nailed it. I like honest people like that. We both laugh at the handling of my Hellcat, and marvel at the power and fun-factor. You see? No hurt feelings because we have our big-boy pants on.

I'll be back when I have my car and all the aero installed. Cheers, and happy driving. Maybe some folks here will grow up. I really don't care you sleep with a Chevy emblem under your pillow. I don't whore out for brands because daddy drove them. I love cars; be they Tesla, Toyota or Chevy.

R.
TheShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:17 PM   #31
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:43 PM   #32
Stoner

Drives: 2017 ZL1 HBM, M6
i have no idea why you guys even respond to Shooter.
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:47 PM   #33
Tachitup

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE M6; previous 2018 ZL1
Maybe they'll make an MGB - 1LE for this guy.
Tachitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:53 PM   #34

Drives: Getaway Special
They respond because they feel he's judging their buying decision vs just providing his honest perspective to potential new buyers. They take it personal.
Then they suggest censoring and even policing the thread! It's just his review for consideration. I felt he gave kudos the the car for its intended "niche" but it seems even the thread is a "rough ride"...... ha!

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514773
Old 12-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #35

Drives: Getaway Special
I think M Wyndham said it well:

"If you're looking for a daily driver (and I only mention this for others who may be reading)...I strongly suggest getting a standard ZL1. You will be much happier with the Magnetic Ride, and you'll never notice the difference in performance."

Pretty much recaps Shooters review in a shorter sentence.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #36
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
Sadly, this always happens regardless of the brand. So many people really think that their car makes them something that when someone says something bad about it they freak out a bit. People need to get over it..it's a Camaro...and while I love mine I get that others don't...and I frankly don't care. All too easy really.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:28 PM   #37
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by *007 View Post
They respond because they feel he's judging their buying decision vs just providing his honest perspective to potential new buyers. They take it personal.
Then they suggest censoring and even policing the thread! It's just his review for consideration. I felt he gave kudos the the car for its intended "niche" but it seems even the thread is a "rough ride"...... ha!

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514773
I doubt anyone took it personal. All he did was recited what we all know about the car in a harsher manner. It's like a kid who is told that ice cream is cold and to eat it slowly yet he takes a huge bite out of it, gets a mouth and brain freeze, and then screams that it's too cold and it's terrible and he doesn't want it. He knew what the car was before getting in it. Just like we all know what it is. Yet he got in it anyway and then came on here to make a thread telling us what has been made abundantly clear months ago. And then he chose to insult everyone on this forum calling us crybabies and throwing other insults at us. He is very condescending and belittling, even to those of us who have tried to back him up in the past. I backed him up several times even defending him by engaging in an argument with someone who I thought was trolling him. Just for him to do this stuff all over again. At this point either he needs to get the car or don't get it. But I think a lot of people are simply getting sick of his rudeness and crass attitude and then him acting oblivious as to why he's getting the responses he gets.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:56 PM   #38
Mize442

Drives: Current driver AMC emlin X 5ltr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter View Post
So after enjoying the heck out of two test drives in the amazing ZL1, I finally got to try out a 1LE.

Before I say anything, let's just get out of the way that the 1LE is an amazing machine and it's worth getting if you will track the hell out of it.

But as a car, it's HORRIBLE. When I read that owners and testers "couldn't wait to get out of it" I honestly thought they must be some seriously weak drivers. Years back I used to drive a modded MGB that had previously been tracked and it barely had a suspension. But it was a Lexus compared to the 1LE.

The ride is horrible, absolutely terrible in every respect, jarring and annoying beyond words. The roads at Angeles Crest are famous for drivers, but even that fairly smooth road was fairly unpleasant after 20 minutes.

But again, it's not BUILT for that. It's optimized for SMOOTH well maintained track surfaces and really little else. So it'll be a ZL1 with an aero package for me and the A10.

I believe that the aero is useful for any road course and I wish it were a factory option, but at least we know it can be added.

Kudos to Chevy. The ZL1 1LE is amazing for folks who spend serious time at the track. It's also cool for collectors and the aero LOOKS AMAZING. Not "ricer" at all and it's highly functional, so you're sounding silly to utter "ricer" standing anywhere near a 1LE.

R.
Hey good for you posting how you feel about the 1LE. Ignore all the keyboard warriors. There are always haters. Hell some dislike the mods I have done to my ZL1 when I posted pics . However I want my car to have my touch.

I appreciate your post because I wanted the 1LE so badly that I even ordered and paid for one. But i wanted to use it as a DD and take the wife with me with reasonable comfort. I decided not to get it.

Now I would have been very dissapointed if I had spent all that money and not been able to enjoy it as my DD car.

We need people to express their opinions and NOT BE TREADED ON.

Thank you
Mize442 is offline   Reply With Quote