Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-22-2019, 02:00 PM   #1
mauro

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 3LT RS
Heated Side Mirrors

Looks like 5th Gen gets all the fun

Ive been thinking about a possible upgrade on the side mirrors to have them be heated. The constant fog is really a pain, considering it’s always raining here so any time I go into a warm area (i.e a parkade) they fog up and I can’t see anything.

Anyone tried an upgrade like this on our gen?

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297215
mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauro View Post
Looks like 5th Gen gets all the fun

Ive been thinking about a possible upgrade on the side mirrors to have them be heated. The constant fog is really a pain, considering it’s always raining here so any time I go into a warm area (i.e a parkade) they fog up and I can’t see anything.

Anyone tried an upgrade like this on our gen?

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297215
If you have the connivence and lighting package you have a heated drivers side mirror. Mine is.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:27 PM   #3
mauro

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 3LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
If you have the connivence and lighting package you have a heated drivers side mirror. Mine is.
Ugh, don’t mention it. I bought mine off the lot. It’s a 3LT, no Light & Convenience package (one of the most important packages imo). Wasn’t going to pass up the deal based off it though.
mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:31 PM   #4

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Try this....turn on your rear window defroster...it just may defrost the mirrors as well. My '17 Impala has no symbols on the mirrors or on any of the buttons, but it has heated mirrors on both sides that come on with the rear window defroster. Good luck.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:12 PM   #5
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauro View Post
Ugh, don’t mention it. I bought mine off the lot. It’s a 3LT, no Light & Convenience package (one of the most important packages imo). Wasn’t going to pass up the deal based off it though.
Ohhhh gotcha, you might be able to do the Gen5 thing or order a OEM mirror with the heated mirror
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:02 PM   #6
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Try this....turn on your rear window defroster...it just may defrost the mirrors as well. My '17 Impala has no symbols on the mirrors or on any of the buttons, but it has heated mirrors on both sides that come on with the rear window defroster. Good luck.
I have a spare passenger side mirror glass and it has the heater connection, so presumably both mirrors are heated. The owners manual indeed does state that the rear defogger button turns on mirror heating, too, on both sides.

The most likely reason there is no defrost symbol on the mirror is that it would conflict with the blind spot monitoring icon, GM could have made it a different color of course, but I guess they are too litigation sensitive these days to take the risk.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:05 AM   #7
JessicasCamaro

Drives: 2018 1SS
Resurrecting an old thread here, but my husband and I just successfully completed a heated mirror swap on my 2018 1SS. Since the car is my daily driver, having heated mirrors to clear off moisture/fog/frost is such a nice feature (and one I missed from my 2012 2SS).

I bought a pair of OEM heated mirrors from someone on eBay (note they also have the little blindspot indicators, which won't be able to function without the rear sensors - not a biggie to me). While it wasn't as easy as the 5th gen swap (not completely plug and play), we did discover that all the wiring was already available in the car, it's just not connected to the fuse box in the trunk. (Great news, since I was expecting to have to run wire from both doors all the way to the trunk to get the on-with-defroster functionality.) With some help from the wiring schematic in the service manual and about $10 in parts, he built a wiring harness with an inline fuse. Pics are from this morning before and after turning the defroster on

I'll be happy to do a write-up on how the harness works if anyone is interested in doing a similar project.
Attached Images

JessicasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:07 PM   #8
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicasCamaro View Post
Resurrecting an old thread here, but my husband and I just successfully completed a heated mirror swap on my 2018 1SS. Since the car is my daily driver, having heated mirrors to clear off moisture/fog/frost is such a nice feature (and one I missed from my 2012 2SS).

I bought a pair of OEM heated mirrors from someone on eBay (note they also have the little blindspot indicators, which won't be able to function without the rear sensors - not a biggie to me). While it wasn't as easy as the 5th gen swap (not completely plug and play), we did discover that all the wiring was already available in the car, it's just not connected to the fuse box in the trunk. (Great news, since I was expecting to have to run wire from both doors all the way to the trunk to get the on-with-defroster functionality.) With some help from the wiring schematic in the service manual and about $10 in parts, he built a wiring harness with an inline fuse. Pics are from this morning before and after turning the defroster on

I'll be happy to do a write-up on how the harness works if anyone is interested in doing a similar project.
That would be great, didn't know we could do swap for heated mirrors. I just assumed when i bought my car that it had heated mirrors. I mean kia's have heated mirrors lol. Not fun in midwest winters....
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:31 PM   #9
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:

If that's from the driving position, that's a good example of improperly adjusted side mirrors.

You could try cleaning the mirrors really well and applying something wax-based. Fog loves to form on "dirty" surfaces and it doesn't like wax.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #10
JessicasCamaro

I stuck my phone out the window to take the photos, so that's not the angle I see when driving. Thanks for being helpful though I have never tried waxing glass
Old 06-29-2020, 02:53 PM   #11
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
I stuck my phone out the window to take the photos, so that's not the angle I see when driving. Thanks for being helpful though I have never tried waxing glass
Wax your windshield with a good wax and it's better than rain-x. Lasts longer.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:31 PM   #12
Corky

Drives: 2019 1SS M6
Anyhow, yes I'm sure some of us would like to see just what needs to happen to get the heated mirrors up and working...It would be a great help....
Corky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:08 AM   #13
JessicasCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky View Post
Anyhow, yes I'm sure some of us would like to see just what needs to happen to get the heated mirrors up and working...It would be a great help....
Yep, I'll write it up with photos as soon as I can!
Old 06-30-2020, 11:52 AM   #14
JessicasCamaro

Here's the link to the DIY write up with diagrams/photos:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...php?p=10820289