Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #1
Nick801

Drives: ‘18 Camaro 2SS
Questions about remote tuning 101

Lol so I got my 2018 camaro ss last august and now starting to get into modding. I want to go with a pray remote tune as my first and I did leave an email and got back the whole process and estimate of payment including all equipment to do it and the tune cost. I just want to talk with some people who have gone through remote tuning and understand the process more.

Question 1: Was told to get an AEM Wideband gauge the X series 30-0334 one, so that's a mandatory right?

2. Watching a remote tune video process of how it works reading the vehicle, something about the 3rd option FSCM or something being about AFM. What does this mean? He mentioned something about if you got an AFM delete you do something with that? Does that mean even if you are wanting AFM disabled in your tune do you read it? Because I also have a Borla catback exhaust non NPP, but i kept my AFM valves control. So does an AFM disable in the tune keep it always V8 and not get a CEL and i just disconnect the AFM motors and zip tie them up?
Nick801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:11 PM   #2
weatherman71

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick801 View Post
Lol so I got my 2018 camaro ss last august and now starting to get into modding. I want to go with a pray remote tune as my first and I did leave an email and got back the whole process and estimate of payment including all equipment to do it and the tune cost. I just want to talk with some people who have gone through remote tuning and understand the process more.

Question 1: Was told to get an AEM Wideband gauge the X series 30-0334 one, so that's a mandatory right?

2. Watching a remote tune video process of how it works reading the vehicle, something about the 3rd option FSCM or something being about AFM. What does this mean? He mentioned something about if you got an AFM delete you do something with that? Does that mean even if you are wanting AFM disabled in your tune do you read it? Because I also have a Borla catback exhaust non NPP, but i kept my AFM valves control. So does an AFM disable in the tune keep it always V8 and not get a CEL and i just disconnect the AFM motors and zip tie them up?

1 I am tuned by Pray.... thats the one he said to get and i did..... Very easy to install and set up in HP Tuners.

2 AFM are on auto cars only.....AFM takes the car into V4 mode while cruising for efficiency and mileage. When he tunes it keeps it in V8 mode and you wont get a CEL. when i did the header and exhaust install, i just tied the AFM actuators up out of the way while plugged in.... NO ISSUES.

Pray is EXTREMELY knowledgeable and an elite in the 6th gen tuning community
weatherman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:35 PM   #3
Nick801

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman71 View Post
1 I am tuned by Pray.... thats the one he said to get and i did..... Very easy to install and set up in HP Tuners.

2 AFM are on auto cars only.....AFM takes the car into V4 mode while cruising for efficiency and mileage. When he tunes it keeps it in V8 mode and you wont get a CEL. when i did the header and exhaust install, i just tied the AFM actuators up out of the way while plugged in.... NO ISSUES.

Pray is EXTREMELY knowledgeable and an elite in the 6th gen tuning community

Yeah he sounds very experienced and knowing what to do and cares for his customers satisfaction! I am excited to be tuned by him but I just want to understand how the tuning and remote side of it all works. I am getting my headers in a few weeks then I need to buy the hptuners and aem and stuff to start it. Also need to do this whole TCM shipping unlock lol, seems confusing to get it out of the car
Old 05-27-2020, 05:56 PM   #4
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick801 View Post

Yes the wideband is absolutely needed, it is what tells the tuner what the A/F ratio (in Lambda) is doing when you are going WOT.

Depending on options and if your SS is a A8 or M6 you could have 3 modules to license depending on what you want tuned.

-The ECM, this controls the engine side
-The TCM, this controls the transmission side. If you are a 2017 A8 or newer it will need to be unlocked by HP Tuners 1st ($250 charge) and needs 4 credits to tune ($50 per credit)
-The FPCM, this controls the fuel pump settings. Depending on your car some of these settings are in the ECM now so it doesnt need to be licensed. This is how the SS 1LE and the ZL1 are setup.

Basically the tuner will send you his channel file for the data he wants to capture. You will make runs in either part throttle or WOT per his direction. You will log the run with the HP Tuners Scanner program, then you will email those logs to the tuner. The will make changes accordingly and then email you a revised file over. You will flash that file and then rinse/repeat until the tuner and yourself are happy with how the car runs.

1st and foremost the very 1st thing you will do is read your stock modules BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE....!!!

I cant stress this enough, read and save your stock tune file. Put them in multiple places and keep them safe in case you ever need to flash back to stock.

Good luck and have fun....

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:09 AM   #5
Nick801

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Yes the wideband is absolutely needed, it is what tells the tuner what the A/F ratio (in Lambda) is doing when you are going WOT.

Depending on options and if your SS is a A8 or M6 you could have 3 modules to license depending on what you want tuned.

-The ECM, this controls the engine side
-The TCM, this controls the transmission side. If you are a 2017 A8 or newer it will need to be unlocked by HP Tuners 1st ($250 charge) and needs 4 credits to tune ($50 per credit)
-The FPCM, this controls the fuel pump settings. Depending on your car some of these settings are in the ECM now so it doesnt need to be licensed. This is how the SS 1LE and the ZL1 are setup.

Basically the tuner will send you his channel file for the data he wants to capture. You will make runs in either part throttle or WOT per his direction. You will log the run with the HP Tuners Scanner program, then you will email those logs to the tuner. The will make changes accordingly and then email you a revised file over. You will flash that file and then rinse/repeat until the tuner and yourself are happy with how the car runs.

1st and foremost the very 1st thing you will do is read your stock modules BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE....!!!

I cant stress this enough, read and save your stock tune file. Put them in multiple places and keep them safe in case you ever need to flash back to stock.

Good luck and have fun....

Sounds exciting to do and very technical lol. Of course multiple saves of the stock file and store everywhere. Hooking up this AEM wideband though per request from Pray looks like it's gonna be hard to do wiring it up and running to the dash vent when I get it. Also just nervous for getting that TCM out. I am a 2018 A8 SS. So I will need like 8 credits total for ECM and TCM.