Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Exclamation Premium to Regular Gas price ratio (from station to station)

No, this is not an SS owner complaining about fuel mileage, or a debate about whether or not I should use premium. And im not complaining about premium being more than regular.

I wanted to point out something to my fellow premium gas users that I didnt notice until today.

Im assuming most people, like me, find the cheapest gas station (of their preferred brand) by going off of the "regular" gas price. This is usually the only price on many gas station signs, so its typically the only rate to go off of. And I also assumed that the ratio of regular to premium, was about the same everywhere, making it okay to go off of the regular price when searching for the cheapest premium price.

Well, I noticed today that there isnt necessarily any particular ratio of the price of regular to premium from station to station. It seems as though you have to drive up to the pump and check the price on the pump itself, if the price for premium isnt on the sign.

Im not worried about the price of premium vs regular within a single station, just the different ratio from one station to another, I thought I could follow the regular price, but apparently you cant.

Just this morning I went to three different stations:

Discount Gas Regular 2.82 Premium 3.35
Shell #1 Regular 2.88 Premium 3.45
Shell #2 Regular 2.88 Premium 3.70

I was shocked to see that two shells with the same regular price, were about 25 cents different per gallon on premium. Ive been using this place all along. All the fuels have the same octane rating also.

I use a lot of gas, and 25 cents a gallon is a big deal, when I could have easily gotten the exact same Shell Premium gas about 10 minutes farther along on my commute home.

So, for anyone that cares and didnt already know this, read the pumps.

Last edited by vroomapunk; 11-07-2013 at 08:58 AM.
vroomapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
Great info! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk .
Old 11-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
I use an app...whatever your city...gas prices.com.....as in neworleansgasprices.com...it shows regular and premium prices...works at home or on the road
Old 11-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1660 View Post
I use an app...whatever your city...gas prices.com.....as in neworleansgasprices.com...it shows regular and premium prices...works at home or on the road
Downloading now haha
Old 11-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
camaro-dreamer

Drives: 2013 Porsche 981S
The station I am using most likely has the largest spread between premium to regular gas. Below are the three grades available and corresponding costs per gallon.

87 E-10 $3.02
87 $3.50
93 $4.00

The truth is I am very disappointed by this large differential. However, I live in a rural area and get 93 octane without ethanol.
camaro-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro-dreamer View Post
The station I am using most likely has the largest spread between premium to regular gas. Below are the three grades available and corresponding costs per gallon.

87 E-10 $3.02
87 $3.50
93 $4.00

The truth is I am very disappointed by this large differential. However, I live in a rural area and get 93 octane without ethanol.
Yeah, im not worried so much about the ratio of premium to regular within the same gas station, its from one station to another.

Two stations with identical regular rates had a huge differential between their premium rates
Old 11-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
I agree, I live in PA and here prices on regular are about $3.179 and for plus it is about 20-25 cents more and for Premium is about $3.559-3.659.

It's insane but i think it's due to the fact that not many people use plus or premium gas. The prices that they bought it at weeks ago remain the same because they are trying to always "catch up" with their loss/purchase.

What sucks more is that you're paying less than $3.00/gallon while I am not lol

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I use the MyLink feature that lists premium gas prices in the area. It also tells you when those prices were collected (today, two days ago, etc.). Quite handy, especially when traveling.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro-dreamer View Post
However, I live in a rural area and get 93 octane without ethanol.
Funny how it costs LESS to add something to the fuel (ethanol). Just like long ago when you had leaded and unleaded pumps next to each other - Leaded was cheaper yet, lead was an additive to the fuel. Supply and demand, I guess.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Funny how it costs LESS to add something to the fuel (ethanol). Just like long ago when you had leaded and unleaded pumps next to each other - Leaded was cheaper yet, lead was an additive to the fuel. Supply and demand, I guess.
probably because you are using less gas (more expensive) and adding ethanol (less expensive)
Old 11-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

I hate that Ethanol is even added. It is so bad to the engine. I guess they'll do anything to help the many markets out there. Farmers for corn, plants that make ethanol and the shops that fix your car after too much ethanol

So sad. I want the 2022 Camaro to run on Potatoes or used McDonald's oil lol

Old 11-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
I have 3 Shell stations that are on my 55 mile route work/home. Both the primary driver (SRT8) and the secondary (SS) run on premium so I am watching the GasBuddy app as well as station signs at least twice a week. I have memorized the grade price differential by station and have done the math to maximize my .02 cents. I have a Shell card as well as utilize the local grocery store (Kroger) points system that allows .10 off a Shell gallon for $100 in groceries. So I stick with Shell as my tier1 fuel choice.

Circle K Shell is .27 differential
Rocky Top Shell is .40 differential

So reg. at 3.19 at Rockytop would be 3.59.
So reg. at 3.25 at Circle K would be 3.52.

Can't just go by the reg. price and assumed jumps.

A $1 split is just WAY TOO MUCH. Totally uncalled for.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #13
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBourne23 View Post
I hate that Ethanol is even added. It is so bad to the engine. I guess they'll do anything to help the many markets out there. Farmers for corn, plants that make ethanol and the shops that fix your car after too much ethanol

So sad. I want the 2022 Camaro to run on Potatoes or used McDonald's oil lol
How about a Mr. Fusion!!!

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #14
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawSS View Post
How about a Mr. Fusion!!!
I can see that one too