Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 09-07-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
Has anyone ACTUALLY had a warranty denied due to tuning???

All this talk about voiding your factory warranty if you tune. I admit, I'm tempted to tune, but scared about losing my powertrain warranty too.

Is there 1 single person out there that has actually had ANY type of warranty repair denied because their have TUNED their car???
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:09 AM   #2
hot ss

Drives: aqua 2ss l99
this should be good.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:12 AM   #3
KnightRiderSS
Voodoo Medicine Man

Drives: Black 2SS with RS package
Old 09-08-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
Duke

Drives: 2010 Red SS/RS
crickets...
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
WAIT JUST A DAMN MINUTE!

Why don't you preface the question with something about trying to warranty a blown engine or transmission.

GM is not interested in whether or not you tune your car UNLESS you're trying to utilize your powertrain warranty for a major failure. So, the only people who should be answering the question posted here should be people who have grenaded an engine or transmission, because those are the only scenarios that GM is going to take the time to check for a tune.

The whole mantra of "I want to flash it back to stock when I take it to the dealer for a dome light warranty!" is ridiculous. It just shows how much misinformation gets spread through the internet.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
lexlueger

Drives: V10 BMW M5, Supercharged 2SS/RS
IW 8 RIB PULLEY W/ OD COG REARS
NX EXPRESS/NANO KIT

KDI HEAT EXCHANGER/ROTOFAB RESERVOIR
CIRCLE D 2800 TC/FLEX PLATE/ADM TRANS COOLER
DSS DRIVESHAFT/1400 HP AXLES
EATON TRUETRAC -LPE 3.27 GEARS
DYNATECH HEADERS/MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST
SQUASH RETURN STYLE FS ID 850's E85/ FLEXFUEL
BMR/EIBACH SUSPENSION

KILL MODE, ON.

lexlueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
If you tune it won't void the window motors or dome light just the powertrain.
I specifically asked a question to some GM folks I know about the tranny. Since mine was an earlier Vin and some of those had problems with the tailshaft breaking, I asked if my tranny broke would it be covered even if I had my car modded a little, especially when GM knew that some had problems.

My answer was. " Highly Unilkely that they would cover the tranny on a modded car" Hopefully I never have to find out>
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
RichieRich

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
thesnoopster

Drives: '17 Fifty SS - '18 Traverse Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
WAIT JUST A DAMN MINUTE!

Why don't you preface the question with something about trying to warranty a blown engine or transmission.

GM is not interested in whether or not you tune your car UNLESS you're trying to utilize your powertrain warranty for a major failure. So, the only people who should be answering the question posted here should be people who have grenaded an engine or transmission, because those are the only scenarios that GM is going to take the time to check for a tune.

The whole mantra of "I want to flash it back to stock when I take it to the dealer for a dome light warranty!" is ridiculous. It just shows how much misinformation gets spread through the internet.
I love how you started this .... good info!

Im curious on who will chime in on this topic
Old 09-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #10
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
WAIT JUST A DAMN MINUTE!

I don't think the OP needs to preface his question with anything. He asked a straight forward, clear and concise question....Has anyone been denied any warranty work based on the fact that their vehicle had been tuned. It's not an ambiguous or a "trick" question. There are scenarios shy of grenading an engine or transmission that are still very expensive to correct at $100 per hour shop labor such as a leaking head gasket or a whining rear end etc. In theory, could not these examples be denied due to tuning?
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #11
DSteck
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
I don't think the OP needs to preface his question with anything. He asked a straight forward, clear and concise question....Has anyone been denied any warranty work based on the fact that their vehicle had been tuned. It's not an ambiguous or a "trick" question. There are scenarios shy of grenading an engine or transmission that are still very expensive to correct at $100 per hour shop labor such as a leaking head gasket or a whining rear end etc. In theory, could not these examples be denied due to tuning?
They are classified as powertrain failures. The question only applies to people with powertrain failures, because that's the only case where GM will check for a tune. It skews the results horribly to include people who have a tune and go in to get a window switch fixed. Technically they could have a tune and still get "warranty work" completed, even though it doesn't even apply.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
They are classified as powertrain failures. The question only applies to people with powertrain failures, because that's the only case where GM will check for a tune. It skews the results horribly to include people who have a tune and go in to get a window switch fixed. Technically they could have a tune and still get "warranty work" completed, even though it doesn't even apply.
The OP did not solicit stories regarding people's experiences getting non powertrain problems fixed under warranty despite "being tuned". He specifically asked for DENIED experiences based on "being tuned".
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #13
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Good,direct question. I personally know of no one that has been denied. That includes a few that had lifter failures. It's tiring hearing people complain about the warrenties and tuning. GM has to prove the tuning caused the failure.

If you do have the car tuned just make sure it's done by a preffesional that knows what they are doing.Just like there are alot of good tuners, there are a ton of bad one's too.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #14
DSteck
Account Suspended

Right, but the only time a tune would apply is in the case of a powertrain failure. People are going to sit here and assume that since nobody's responding, that having a tune doesn't cause a problem... However, the inherent flaw is that the number of powertrain failures is probably EXTREMELY low, meaning the sample set barely exists. The way the OP phrased it is not going to result in usable answers, since nobody's going to get anything denied for a tune other than a powertrain failure. This means all the people with a tune that go in to get something petty fixed will probably respond saying, "Oh, I got this fixed and have a tune!" and it's going to make people think they too can get away with it, even if they put a rod through the side of the block.

I'm trying to prevent people from getting a false sense of security about putting a tune in their car. FYI, I worked as a powertrain engineer for one of the big three... and warranty analysis was 50% of my day-to-day job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
Good,direct question. I personally know of no one that has been denied. That includes a few that had lifter failures. It's tiring hearing people complain about the warrenties and tuning. GM has to prove the tuning caused the failure.

If you do have the car tuned just make sure it's done by a preffesional that knows what they are doing.Just like there are alot of good tuners, there are a ton of bad one's too.
No, they don't (to the bolded part). Read your warranty terms.