Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-30-2015, 08:07 AM   #1
quualudes

Drives: 2015 1SS 1LE MPP
Suspension parts list - am I missing anything?

Got a new 1LE recently and while I told myself I would let the modding bug rest for a while, Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals are forcing my hand. On my old '13 M6 LS, I did a LOT of suspension stuff with fantastic results and while the 1LE is definitely badass, I do feel that those low hanging fruits should be addressed so she is tightened up.

I have done a LOT of reading on the 1LE suspension upgrading opinions for a car that is a DD and will be occasionally tracked (starting next year) while keeping in mind that I will be doing N/A power mods with a goal of around 500RWHP at some point - so nothing insane...

So this is what I am working as far as stuff to buy today:

- Spherical bearing rear trailing arms
- Outer trailing arm bushes
- Subframe inserts (did solids on my last car, love them, but will probably going inserts this time around unless there is an overpowering need to do solids out the gate)
- Radius Rod full face inserts (definitely going inserts on this as I had solids for my last car and I just could not get the radius rods off my damn car to install them... Thus, inserts for me!!)
- 32mm ZL1 style rear sway bar

I think that should cover it unless I am missing something? I've priced these items out at BMR and it appears I can land around $550 for everything other than the RR inserts which I am still looking for - so for that money, it seems like a no-brainer really (unless someone PM's me their quotes doing better lol).

Thoughts?
quualudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Don't you think you should track the car first stock as-is, and then decide how to cut that suit??

I mean, it's like with anything else really. Wear it first, then customize it if your style calls for it ; ).

IMHO, the 1LE is one of the few cars out there that is ready out of the box for a dd and occasional track.

My true thoughts on this is you are spending money for nothing out of the gate, and more often then not, I see people demodifying because they went too many steps (and blindly too) out of the gate, and NVH was unacceptable in the end.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:08 PM   #3
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Any reason for the rear sway bar other than another cool part? Only reason I ask is the 1LE handles super neutral out of the box
Old 11-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #4
quualudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Don't you think you should track the car first stock as-is, and then decide how to cut that suit??

I mean, it's like with anything else really. Wear it first, then customize it if your style calls for it ; ).

IMHO, the 1LE is one of the few cars out there that is ready out of the box for a dd and occasional track.

My true thoughts on this is you are spending money for nothing out of the gate, and more often then not, I see people demodifying because they went too many steps (and blindly too) out of the gate, and NVH was unacceptable in the end.
You have a point there about cutting that suit without knowing what you want but I am leveraging the collective knowledge of the folks in the forum to 1) address a potential issue before it gets out of hand and 2) finish what GM started.

I suppose I should have stated in my original post that I am mostly attempting to address wheel hop before it destroys something - but doing that in such a way that it doesn't unsettle what the 1LE brings to the table if you get my drift. I am still being cautious with the car since I am only partially through the break in period but I have managed to discover just how unsettling wheel hop can be. I am not even getting into it that much (only poking over 4000 very occasionally) - so I am envisioning what my power modes will do... So that's pretty much how I got to this point - the research around wheel hop. It should be noted that I stumble upon opinions that what we might be seeing as 'wheel hop' might be 'how traction control sometimes expresses itself' but given just how violent those events were, I am leaning toward wheel hop.

Now talking about blindingly spending money hehe - I can definitely talk about my '13 M6 V6 . Thanks to the all these great ideas discovered in these forums when I bought the car and registered - I caught the modding bug. I pretty much slapped on every bolt-on that made sense for power and handling. Some of the stuff might not have the most value for the money, but together, they all worked well together. What really got me thinking beyond power was the Pedder's gen 5 suspension documentation and I ended up doing a LOT of that on stuff on my car to tighten up that suspension - and my car was AWESOME as a result. I mean, it was really truly fun to drive! The science of it all made sense and while I didn't go full coilovers and all that nonsense, getting that car dialed into neutral (actually biased towards oversteering) made that car handle like a Camaro is supposed to handle. This is obviously only my opinion, but for me, the slight increase in noise and the firmer handing IS a Camaro to me.

So anyway, the 1LE platform is obviously a much better place to be for many reasons (a v8 anyone!) - but I have been mostly amused that all the work I did on the '13 translated into what the 1LE already has from the factory - so it's like she grew up with MUCH better rims.

Unless I am wrong in my understanding of my research, that part list addresses wheel hop (for the most part) and helps tweak things that have been found to need a little tweaking - yet doesn't unbalance what the 1LE is. A little NVH comes with the territory and it is part of my expectations of what a Camaro needs to be for me.

I appreciate your thoughts on the matter and it is definitely something to think about. I think the thought of missing a deal is pushing me to go as fast as I can.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:41 PM   #5
quualudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
Any reason for the rear sway bar other than another cool part? Only reason I ask is the 1LE handles super neutral out of the box
I am definitely not going for 'cool'. I am attempting to take those things I am reading from other knowledgeable members as to what hardware is required to address my concerns - and also take care of those things that can be taken care of before they become issues once I start adding power. The sways are adjustable, so I can bias for more oversteer (which I tend to like), or keep it neutral.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:18 PM   #6
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by quualudes View Post
You have a point there about cutting that suit without knowing what you want but I am leveraging the collective knowledge of the folks in the forum to 1) address a potential issue before it gets out of hand and 2) finish what GM started.

I suppose I should have stated in my original post that I am mostly attempting to address wheel hop before it destroys something - but doing that in such a way that it doesn't unsettle what the 1LE brings to the table if you get my drift. I am still being cautious with the car since I am only partially through the break in period but I have managed to discover just how unsettling wheel hop can be. I am not even getting into it that much (only poking over 4000 very occasionally) - .........
Keep in mind that wheel hop with those G2 Good Year tires is first and foremost all about temperatures. The colder it is outside....*hop *hop *hop!

But yeah, your best bang for the buck, to rid of it significantly, without ridding any of the the positive handling virtues of your 1LE, would be rear cradle bushings and trailing arms.

Make sure your alignment is in spec, and you should be all set in that department, as far as dd and occasional road course goes.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
quualudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Keep in mind that wheel hop with those G2 Good Year tires is first and foremost all about temperatures. The colder it is outside....*hop *hop *hop!

But yeah, your best bang for the buck, to rid of it significantly, without ridding any of the the positive handling virtues of your 1LE, would be rear cradle bushings and trailing arms.

Make sure your alignment is in spec, and you should be all set in that department, as far as dd and occasional road course goes.
That's a good point too!! I hear the tires are a bit finicky and never considered that as a big part of the problem - but it makes a lot of sense.

Turns out I might get some road course action this weekend! There's an NASA event at Road Atlanta this weekend, so I might get a chance to throw my car around the track a little bit (somewhat gently as I am still a newbie there and I am still in break in mode with the car in general).

I really do appreciate the input, seriously. These forums are pretty awesome when you can filter the crap from gold.