Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 09-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #43
Luigi And Me

Drives: Trailblazer SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi And Me View Post
The ONLY time GM cares about aftermarket calibrations done to the PCM is when an engine replacement is done under warranty. They see the calibrations of the PCM and request to obtain the PCM for further diag. Other than that, they could give two sh*ts...
How much more must I go in depth to explain my point any further?
Luigi And Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #44
98nosz28

Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28
like mentioned b4 go to a mod friendly dealer. Mine said they would honor the gm warranty if I did magnacharger, headers, and full exhaust. I just have to take it to their approved shop. Even if i have to pay a little more to go to that shop it is nice that I will get my factory warranty.

2011 SS/RS synergy green, sunroof, M6. Street scene ground effects, hood spear and shark fin decals from ridergraphix.
98nosz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #45
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98nosz28 View Post
like mentioned b4 go to a mod friendly dealer. Mine said they would honor the gm warranty if I did magnacharger, headers, and full exhaust. I just have to take it to their approved shop. Even if i have to pay a little more to go to that shop it is nice that I will get my factory warranty.
98noze28 you probably have just ruined the day for one Missourian and one Oklahoman
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #46
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
98noze28 you probably have just ruined the day for one Missourian and one Oklahoman
Dealer installed GMPP items have always carried a warranty. They've been offering that ever since GMPP stuff became available. Magnusson superchargers have always been allowed when dealer installed. GM sanctions those Magnachargers, hence why they mentioned an approved shop.

Whatever, tune away and enjoy, and play the cards you eventually get dealt. The chances of an engine letting go are slim to nothing, so it's not like enough people would even exist to be able to comment anyway.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #47
chopss

Drives: 04 sentra, 2ss
what if a tranny output shaft goes and you need a new gearbox will dealers look for a tune.

if chevy covers slp and sells slp at dealers does the slp diablo void the warrenty?
chopss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #48
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopss View Post
what if a tranny output shaft goes and you need a new gearbox will dealers look for a tune.

if chevy covers slp and sells slp at dealers does the slp diablo void the warrenty?
Yepper they will and guess who will pay.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #49
SSyanide

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Well, here's my story from the past, make of it what you will: My 2006 C6 vette had a transmission failure, on top of that, I had modded and tuned it previously(cam, heads,cai,tune,exhaust). I took it to my local dealer to check the trans and they put over 100 miles in it ( beat on it to say the least),and told me they couldn't fix it and would also put a note in that the car was modded and voided the warranty, on top of that, a bill for in excess of $300.00 for ..well..diagnosis..I guess...I was soooo pissed , so after some research and some good friend help, I found another dealership that was willing to actually check it out and not caveman it. The GM tech there disassembled the trans and found a defect in casting of some part that caused 3rd, 4th, and 5th to fry , he said that there was nothing in the mods I had that would've caused that and they got me a new trans , under warranty, and installed within a week. I contacted the regional service supervisor and told her what the first dealer had done, and she got the note removed, made them send me a letter of apology , and refund my money on the bogus "diagnosis" .So, with that being said, I think it's all how you approach it and how understanding the dealership is, and if you think you're in the right, don't hesitate to go over someone's head.
SSyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #50
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSyanide View Post
Well, here's my story from the past, make of it what you will: My 2006 C6 vette had a transmission failure, on top of that, I had modded and tuned it previously(cam, heads,cai,tune,exhaust). I took it to my local dealer to check the trans and they put over 100 miles in it ( beat on it to say the least),and told me they couldn't fix it and would also put a note in that the car was modded and voided the warranty, on top of that, a bill for in excess of $300.00 for ..well..diagnosis..I guess...I was soooo pissed , so after some research and some good friend help, I found another dealership that was willing to actually check it out and not caveman it. The GM tech there disassembled the trans and found a defect in casting of some part that caused 3rd, 4th, and 5th to fry , he said that there was nothing in the mods I had that would've caused that and they got me a new trans , under warranty, and installed within a week. I contacted the regional service supervisor and told her what the first dealer had done, and she got the note removed, made them send me a letter of apology , and refund my money on the bogus "diagnosis" .So, with that being said, I think it's all how you approach it and how understanding the dealership is, and if you think you're in the right, don't hesitate to go over someone's head.
SSyanide, that is a very refreshing experience to share. I am happy that you were able to find a dealership that showed enough concern for your problem to go the extra mile and expend the effort necessary to reveal the root cause of the failure. I hope the first dealership you mentioned is one of the dealerships that got closed during the government motors takeover.
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #51
Hotrod6464

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS LS3 M6
I added a SLP Blackwing Intake and not a cai And my car is at GM right now getting the GM Preformance exhaust added because I dont want any probs with my powertrain warranty.
Hotrod6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #52
chilihed

Drives: 2010 Hendrick Modified SS #015
My car was modded when I bought it from the dealer, I should be okay right?
chilihed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #53
SSyanide

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
SSyanide, that is a very refreshing experience to share. I am happy that you were able to find a dealership that showed enough concern for your problem to go the extra mile and expend the effort necessary to reveal the root cause of the failure. I hope the first dealership you mentioned is one of the dealerships that got closed during the government motors takeover.
The first dealership still exists, unfortunately, and there have been several bad experiences with them over the years. One of which involved when I was shopping for the C6 and they had a couple on the lot...wouldn't even let me in one or test drive one. Years previous, I had been looking for a Ram Air TA and they tried pushing a base model on me and told me they wouldn't order a WS6 for me, even though I had cash (full amount) in bank , was gonna buy outright. The second dealership, well, those guys are much better, and I'm happy to say I ordered my SS/RS from them, even below MSRP, when the first dealer ship was charging $55K for the ones they had on the lot. I live in a fairly small town and this dealership thinks it's cars are made of platnum and belives any that you may bring to them, be it trade in or repair, are made from poo. Anyways, I digress.
SSyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #54
n2oSS

Drives: 2010 SS2 Camaro
I didn't tank and engine but i'll give my story.

Couple years back i owned a 07 350z that i did a nitrous build on. Well after a few years of owning it i wanted to check out the new 370's that just arrived. So you go through the usual bs with the salesman and then they come to the part they want to appraise your current vehicle for trade in.

Car was gone about 10 minutes then i see a bunch of the suits go out front and my car pulls up. They of course found the nitrous set up and were almost excited it seemed judging by the expressions on thier faces.

Any ways i started gettin the 20 questions on if i use it or if its for show and yada yada. After all this one mentioned just the word of warranty and i went off on a tangent about if i lose my warranty i'de never buy another nissan again.

Long story short they agreed to keep my warranty on the drivetrain ( signed letter by manager ) and they even offered me a good value for the trade in if i uninstalled the nitrous.

None of this was a real fight or anything they just asked questions, ran back to thier little whisper room and all was fine again. I kinda feel bad now for not buying a nissan but i did give them a chance to make the better deal but chevy won.

edit: forgot to add car was tuned but nothing ever mentioned of it after thier appraisel
Appearance Mods:
AAC Concept Sidemarkers, P13W Plasma LED Bulbs, Iforged Classics 20".
Next Mods:
Cam and Fuel System.
n2oSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #55
bionick

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
I was having an issue with my steering wheel (was making a very odd noise) and the dealer said it was fine, and they would have to deny my warranty coverage and charge me for any diagnostics on the issue due to my mods which is ridiculous because all I have is a CAI, axle back, x pipe, ported TB And high flow cats. How would any of that cause an issue with the steering wheel making an off noise? I had to tell the service advisor that it can only be voided if the particular aftermarket part was a direct reason for the issue since he told me my exhaust will void the 3yr/36k mile warranty lol
Old 11-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #56
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Mention the term "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" and see if they change their 'tune.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnussen-Moss_Act

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote