Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #15
trcsr

Drives: 2018 2LT/RS Conv
How difficult is the installation of a catch can?

I have read several items that suggest the installation of a catch can. But, before I spend $160 for one I need to know how difficult the installation is. I am an engineer that is fairly mechanically capable, but I am getting to an age where what used to be trivial tasks are now major undertakings. What is an approximate time for the installation and are there any special tools required?Also, I have seen and heard some comments about the use of braided tubing; is that really an advantage?
trcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #16
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcsr View Post
I need to know how difficult the installation is. What is an approximate time for the installation and are there any special tools required?Also, I have seen and heard some comments about the use of braided tubing; is that really an advantage?
1. Not difficult at all. Installation is all done at the top of the engine with nothing hidden or hard to reach.

2. No special tools are required. Just basic hand tools.

3. Braided hoses are not required. Use what comes with the can unless you feel like dressing it up.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #17
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trcsr View Post
I have read several items that suggest the installation of a catch can. But, before I spend $160 for one I need to know how difficult the installation is. I am an engineer that is fairly mechanically capable, but I am getting to an age where what used to be trivial tasks are now major undertakings. What is an approximate time for the installation and are there any special tools required?Also, I have seen and heard some comments about the use of braided tubing; is that really an advantage?
Like JohnnyB said, it is very easy. It is about a 30 minute job and only basic hand tools are needed. The braided hoses are a cosmetic upgrade. They do not do anything to improve the function of the catch can. Below is a link to the installation instructions for the Apex catch can. They are very thorough so don't let the length scare you.

http://www.apex-speed.com/installation.html
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote