Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #1
bscott07

Drives: 89/99 Silverado’s / future Ca
Options??

I’ve read through a good bit of information here, I’ve always used local products that I could buy easily, armor all, Turtlewax, etc.. & felt like I did a good job keeping vehicles pretty clean. I’m curious as to your opinions on cleaning a 1999 maroon Chevy Silverado. It hadnt been washed in about 3 years as it has sat in a garage untouched, only driven about 1000 miles since 2010. I took it through a touch less auto car wash just to see the paint and it looks great/shines as it’s been in a garage. Looking to be able to buy some stuff to help me do the best job possible buy hand for the time being, thoughts??
bscott07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:19 AM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Step up to Meguiar’s products. Available at all the auto parts stores and good enough for pros.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
Ox45
Hillbilly Highness

Drives: 2001 S10, 2022 LT1 Vert
You can get Meg's at Walmart for cheap as well. I also think they now carry Chemical Guys which a lot of folks use.

For clay bars you can get the Mothers kit with QD at Walmart as well. I think it is only like $15 last time I checked and comes with 2 bars. Not a bad deal for a great product.

Ox.
Ox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
clay
hand polish with meguires 105
hand polish with 205
follow with meguires tech wax

if you like meguires......but many of us are using carpro stuff

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...hlight=Essence

and get over needing to buy local, a slug of carpro stuff from autogeek et al. will last you a few years if done right.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
coruiz

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue
Meguiar's***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
clay
hand polish with meguires 105
hand polish with 205
follow with meguires tech wax

if you like meguires......but many of us are using carpro stuff

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...hlight=Essence

and get over needing to buy local, a slug of carpro stuff from autogeek et al. will last you a few years if done right.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #6
Ox45
Hillbilly Highness

I was going to mention AutoGeek. They are always running specials with free shipping. It actually is much cheaper on some things in the long run.

I went the Klasse AIO and Klasse Sealant route on my new Camaro and it worked out well for me. The problem with AutoGeek is that you wind up trying everything! Right now I just got in some BlackFire products. They seem to work fairly well.

As far as Megs goes... It works. Are there better things... yes. Are the better things required... no. Megs does have great customer service as well. I just got some interior wipes that were actually moldy in the sealed package. I emailed them to let them know and they sent out a replacement immediately! Not bad.

I really only use the Megs stuff now if I am on the road and need to grab something from Walmart. I.e. Quikwax or QD or interior wipes. But those are still pretty good products!

Ox.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #7
bscott07

I’m good with ordering and not going local, it was just what I was use to, didn’t realize there was so many products other ways of detailing until I started really reading through here lately. Appreciate all the responses, I’ll order some Meguiar’s to try it out.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:29 PM   #8
bscott07

Took the advice and have bought M105, M205, and #21 sealant (replaces wax?)
I have some micro fiber towels, my question is since I don’t have any rotary tools, does it matter what I use to apply/remove the applicants as much since I’ll be doing it manually/by hand. Again thanks for any help!
Old 07-19-2018, 03:31 PM   #9
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscott07 View Post
Took the advice and have bought M105, M205, and #21 sealant (replaces wax?)
I have some micro fiber towels, my question is since I don’t have any rotary tools, does it matter what I use to apply/remove the applicants as much since I’ll be doing it manually/by hand. Again thanks for any help!
A foam applicator the auto parts store will be fine. Get a few.....Make sure you get off ALL of the 105 and 205, before you move on to the 21.....
Old 07-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #10
Ox45
Hillbilly Highness

I just used something like this to apply the sealant:

https://www.autogeek.net/paof6pifowax.html

Ox

Edit: What Glen said...
Old 07-19-2018, 09:09 PM   #11
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Just a year ago I bought a DA polisher from Harbor Freight and never looked back. Has to be the best investment for detailing I have bought. Watched a ton of videos and done a couple of AIO’s and dozens of wax applications with it. Now doing a fine polish, then sealant, then wax on my camaro using the DA. Very easy to use. I’d say your truck would make a great project on how to use a DA. You’d be very surprised what you can do with it.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:47 AM   #12
bscott07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
Just a year ago I bought a DA polisher from Harbor Freight and never looked back. Has to be the best investment for detailing I have bought. Watched a ton of videos and done a couple of AIO’s and dozens of wax applications with it. Now doing a fine polish, then sealant, then wax on my camaro using the DA. Very easy to use. I’d say your truck would make a great project on how to use a DA. You’d be very surprised what you can do with it.
I’ve been watching a lot of videos, I currently have two trucks, an 89 4x4 single cab Silverado and this 99 (the new style for that year). The 89 paint is faded/needs a new paint job, it’s just so expensive.. the 99 looks good, I’ll take some before and after to see how I do with this process.

I definitely would like to get a lot more tools to use, but I’m going to wait probably until December-Spring time to get some. I coach football in Texas and the season is about to ramp up for us. It’ll also give me some time to help kick off our debt snowball we’re trying! I miss having a Camaro and for sure wanna get back in one in about 2 years, I’m hoping!
Old 07-21-2018, 07:52 AM   #13
Glen e

Virtually all the detailing information that's on this particular site is geared for new cars, and something that is older like your trucks may require a little bit more elbow grease and a second application of 105 before you move the 205. Just keep inspecting the finish as you get done each step, and if it doesn't look glossy enough for you, repeat that step.

And on an older vehicle, a polisher is almost mandatory, the hand can't move at 1000 RPM, to really smooth the surface.

I just want to temper your expectations.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #14
bscott07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Virtually all the detailing information that's on this particular site is geared for new cars, and something that is older like your trucks may require a little bit more elbow grease and a second application of 105 before you move the 205. Just keep inspecting the finish as you get done each step, and if it doesn't look glossy enough for you, repeat that step.

And on an older vehicle, a polisher is almost mandatory, the hand can't move at 1000 RPM, to really smooth the surface.

I just want to temper your expectations.
I hear ya. I think it’ll help and still be good to at least give it some attention, it’s probably never been waxed before, but hasn’t been hurt due to sitting in a garage pretty much undrove.