Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-07-2017, 06:14 PM   #281
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20152SS1Le View Post
I went with the billsteins, no problems since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How has the handling been affected? Any track/auto-x experience?
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:44 AM   #282
20152SS1Le

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE
I don't track it but on the street don't notice a difference. Also lowered car at same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Elite engineering catch can
Texas Speed 1 7/8 long tube headers and Cats
GPI Rod mod and ported intake
Ported throttle body
JRE tune
20152SS1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:12 AM   #283
ndame09

Drives: 2015 AGM 1LE 2SS RS
Glad I found this thread - my car has the same exact issue. Only happens on certain bumps / drop-offs. Has anyone had any luck referencing a TSB? I scheduled a service appointment for next week to get this looked at.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:20 AM   #284
Billy10mm

Personally, no luck for me on TSB, but I got both replaced under warranty after getting them to drive along with me and having me recreate the issue. Unfortunately, as you can see from a few posts ago, it came back about 1 year later.

I'm done with these OEM 1LE shocks, I'm going to consider doing the Z/28 suspension upgrade.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:37 PM   #285
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Taking a moment here, to reflect on the much revered Gen 5 1LE Package, since it's introduction circa 2013. There is now zero doubt, that the Achilles Heel of this entire package, was, and still is, the OEM 1LE shocks.

For this reason alone, I feel that warranty replacement in good faith by a local GM/Chevrolet dealer, will be a complete day lost of my time. I have not seen any evidence, that the problem has been officially addressed by the Mother Ship, and the parts bin purged of the defective parts, and superceded with updated shocks.

Here are my updated observations on Sledge. 19000km(11806 miles) logged to date, 4 years later. It has been a slow and steady progression of the symptoms. Sometimes I wish mine were bad 100% since the first day, but this has not been the case.

As I had reported a few years back, it gets a bit worse on a hot summer day, as say opposed to a cold autumn day drive, and only a certain type of bump, at a certain speed. However, it has got a bit worse the last month of driving. It used to bang ever so slightly on the left front side, over 1 bump in my entire area, and I mean literally 1 bump( a small one on a bridge) at highway speed of 100km/h(about 62 miles per hour). The hotter outside, the more sensitive and thus pronounced the bang became, but nowhere near the BANG, that some had reported here. Just enough to raise a passenger's eyebrow, if that at all....

Today, instead of 1 bump in my entire region affecting my left front, it seems that more types of bumps are now causing the entire front end(both sides), to exhibit these banging like symptoms, in a more pronounced fashion than anything I had observed in the past. Still not the Red Flag BANG that some here are experiencing, but I will reiterate the word, progression.... It is a slow one, but a very consistent one. Enough so, that I clearly see the end_game, and I'm now budgeting for next year, a Z28 suspension.

The only thing that will change my mind on a Z28 suspension purchase, is an official TSB or even recall by GM, to replace those lousy OEM 1LE shocks with updated "fixed" ones.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:03 AM   #286
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
The only thing that will change my mind on a Z28 suspension purchase, is an official TSB or even recall by GM, to replace those lousy OEM 1LE shocks with updated "fixed" ones.
What about going with Bilstein shocks and struts all around? JPSS has stated that they are a good upgrade from the stock 1LE ones w/o the expense of coil-overs or the Z/28 set up.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:43 AM   #287
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZ28 View Post
What about going with Bilstein shocks and struts all around? JPSS has stated that they are a good upgrade from the stock 1LE ones w/o the expense of coil-overs or the Z/28 set up.
Perhaps.

Not saying that I don't believe him, I do.

The thing is, I did the whole Bilstein shocks/ OEM springs..or even the popular off_the_shelf H&R spring swap thing, one entire lifetime, on my previous types of cars. Sure, those setups worked well. Until of course, I discovered what a "tuned suspension" really felt like! By "tuned" I mean, custom Bilstein shock valving, with a matched(tuned), spring.

Example: back in the day, and perhaps still the case today, BMW road course drivers for the most part, swapped their OEM springs, for off_the_shelf Eibach springs or H&R sport springs, and also swap in the shorter off_the_shelf blue/yelow Bilstein Sport Shocks. Those who wanted some OEM ground clearance, elected for Bilstein HD shocks and keep OEM springs..

You know,open up the Bilstein catalogue, then go cross reference the Eibach or H&R offering, in their respective catalogues, get your CC ready, and bingo, you were down with the crowd on meet/track day.

....BUT, the very few BMW owners who were "in the know", and yes, a healthier wallet too helped to support the cause ; ), would bend over backwards for sources, and I mean SOURCES, to order the über rare Hartge, or even Alpina and Schnitzer, suspension offerings.

Now here is the point to my example, so listen up .

The Hartge suspension, was really, those same aforementioned Bilstein Sport shocks, in conjunction with the same Eibach sports springs, however, and the key word here is tuuuned, that Hartge TUNED them, for road course/street application, taking into account the precise vehicle weight, ride quality/performance on the track, basically R&D the setup, and save the end user the trouble, to go out, and order custom valved shocks with custom spring rates themselves.

Whilst the standard off_the_shelf Bilstein Sports and Eibach sport springs, that were sold separately in all online BMW catalogue stores felt Great, the Hartge with its tuned setup, simply felt SPOT ON, and I mean, drool/sweeeeeet spot on!

So that is the short of it. Why I'm slightly reluctant to follow Justice Pete's advice, to replace my 1LE shocks, with "Bilsteins". Been there done that, and yes, thus I'm bored of doing that too.

I did mention the word "wallet" earlier on, when acquiring said rare Hartge suspension. It was expensive, which brings us back to what JPSS (Justice Pete) really probably meant(he can chime in and refute my claim if he wants ), and that is, that swapping in Bilstein shocks is a great bang for the buck, that will get the job done nicely. High quality product, Tried and Tested, not thaaaat bad on price.

I suppose I'm fortunate enough, to have the funds to buy the higher echelon stuff, that comes tuned as an entire kit, like the Hartge suspension did for me circa 89, and the Z28 suspension will for me tomorrow .

Edit: I forgot to add sway bars to the kits above too, but the same applies to those as well. Off the shelf (tried and tested) ones, and tuned ones as part of an entire tuned kit.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #288
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Drive slower over big bumps.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:20 PM   #289
ndame09

My thought is this should be brought to the attention of Chevrolet Customer Care... This car was tuned very well from the factory, and switching to aftermarket shocks does not sound appealing to me. Perhaps Z28 kit down the road but it's not exactly cheap.

Cases where many customers have experienced the same repeated issue should be brought up to Customer Care I think... Anyone know a contact?

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2017, 09:38 PM   #290
Billy10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndame09 View Post
My thought is this should be brought to the attention of Chevrolet Customer Care... This car was tuned very well from the factory, and switching to aftermarket shocks does not sound appealing to me. Perhaps Z28 kit down the road but it's not exactly cheap.

Cases where many customers have experienced the same repeated issue should be brought up to Customer Care I think... Anyone know a contact?

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
Lost cause. They used to lurk here. Brought this issue to their attention multiple times. Got nowhere. Most of us can barely get our Chevy dealerships to acknowledge it, even after hearing/feeling it. "It's normal. They all do that."
Old 02-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #291
ndame09

thought i'd post a quick update - I managed to get both front struts replaced under warranty after the dealership was able to reproduce the loud bang going over bumps/drops. They found the issue on passenger side, replaced the strut, retested, found the issue on driver side, replaced the strut.

Had this done back in November if IIRC - no issues since.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #292
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndame09 View Post
thought i'd post a quick update - I managed to get both front struts replaced under warranty after the dealership was able to reproduce the loud bang going over bumps/drops. They found the issue on passenger side, replaced the strut, retested, found the issue on driver side, replaced the strut.

Had this done back in November if IIRC - no issues since.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:29 AM   #293
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Hmm, how have I missed this thread....Guess I'm upgrading. Mine sounds like an explosion every time I go over a couple specific bumps... I know them by names given to them... Thought it was normal... :/ Guess I need to find somebody to replace some shit.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #294
ndame09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Hmm, how have I missed this thread....Guess I'm upgrading. Mine sounds like an explosion every time I go over a couple specific bumps... I know them by names given to them... Thought it was normal... :/ Guess I need to find somebody to replace some shit.
Consensus is that it's only a matter of time before 1LE struts develop this issue, so you may want to try a different shock if you're paying out of pocket. Time will tell if the replacement shocks I got are improved in any way...

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk