Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 12-20-2020, 11:39 AM   #127
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
If you really want to get a 2021 Mustang GT, I would just go for a left over 2020 GT.

Heck lately around me there seems to be a glut of lightly used 2018, 2019 Mustangs under 25k miles and some of the prices have been pretty decent and not much difference than a new one.

I bought my 2016 SS back in Sept because it was a good deal and at the time there wasn't a lot of used Mustangs. I was considering the Mustang but glad I went with the SS. thing has more torque!

But if you really want a Mustang I would seriously consider a 18 or 19 used. As for me, handling isn't a huge concern. I didn't buy my SS for handling. I bought it for a straight line car. These cars are muscle cars. I personally wouldn't pay tons extra to have better suspension and handling.

If you really do want a Mustang though then I'd get a used base model OR low end Premium and just mod it and make it faster.

I can't see spending 50k on a Mustang GT or Camaro SS. When I got my SS I would have taken a bare bones one with just an auto transmission if there was one at a great price.
I bet you would have looked pretty hard at the LT1 with the A10 if that was an option when you were shopping. Sounds like the PERFECT car for you, heck I think it's a great car for anyone that loves muscle cars. While I am not currently looking at buying a base model, a 6 spd LT1 isn't completely off my radar as it's just a great buy I think and makes the most financial sense.

Me personally, I am a manual transmission on some twisty roads guy. I won't harp on it as I have mentioned it here before, but the MT-82 is not up to snuff for my enjoyment.

Any SS has been available from Day 1 with a highly praised best in class manual transmission. Up to now, only the GT350 had a 6 spd of that overall level of quality and enjoyment. Now the Mach 1 joins the list at a base price of just over $52K.

As a practical buyer of a future manual transmission V8, I am not interested in any Mustang currently offered......not at or near their MSRP anyway.

I could be wrong, but I think a base Mach 1 is $7K more than a SS 1LE and comes with no HUD, Recaros, or eLSD. I am not in the know on the new Mach 1 as you can't even build them online yet, but currently am not aware of any content offered in the Mach 1(other than 30 more HP) that would warrant that sort of premium over a SS 1LE. This is also not including the Handling Package, which we all know will be needed for the Mach 1 to compete with a 1LE on track.

I like the S550 platform because it looks very good, but as a manual only buyer, its the least attractive option of the 3 considering it's price vs competitors.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:32 PM   #128
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
I bet you would have looked pretty hard at the LT1 with the A10 if that was an option when you were shopping. Sounds like the PERFECT car for you, heck I think it's a great car for anyone that loves muscle cars. While I am not currently looking at buying a base model, a 6 spd LT1 isn't completely off my radar as it's just a great buy I think and makes the most financial sense.

Me personally, I am a manual transmission on some twisty roads guy. I won't harp on it as I have mentioned it here before, but the MT-82 is not up to snuff for my enjoyment.

Any SS has been available from Day 1 with a highly praised best in class manual transmission. Up to now, only the GT350 had a 6 spd of that overall level of quality and enjoyment. Now the Mach 1 joins the list at a base price of just over $52K.

As a practical buyer of a future manual transmission V8, I am not interested in any Mustang currently offered......not at or near their MSRP anyway.

I could be wrong, but I think a base Mach 1 is $7K more than a SS 1LE and comes with no HUD, Recaros, or eLSD. I am not in the know on the new Mach 1 as you can't even build them online yet, but currently am not aware of any content offered in the Mach 1(other than 30 more HP) that would warrant that sort of premium over a SS 1LE. This is also not including the Handling Package, which we all know will be needed for the Mach 1 to compete with a 1LE on track.

I like the S550 platform because it looks very good, but as a manual only buyer, its the least attractive option of the 3 considering it's price vs competitors.

I wouldn't touch a Mustang with an MT82 with a ten foot d***. I assume you know all the problems the 2011 thru 2019 Mustangs with it had, right? I mean people lemoning their Mustangs and even getting to the point of suing Ford over it. That tranny is a big POS. Sure the camaro auto might have some shutter but it's no MT82.

There are currently lawsuits in the works over the MT82.

There is a reason you see lots of used manual transmission Mustangs for sale right now. Even ones that are not defective are crappy.

I did look for new or lightly used LT1 when I was shopping. The closest one was in the Orlando area and not very many. I wasn't in the mood driving 120 miles with my stang with no working AC. Besides the dealer I described below had 1ss leftover for not a lot more than an LT1.

I did almost go to a local chevy dealer that had 3 2020 1SS leftover in stock and had a really good price because they wanted to get rid of them. However, I found a 2016 2ss with 16k miles, loaded up and still 6 grand less.

Down here in Southwest FL you don't find a lot of camaros and mustangs because the older folks like the big SUVs. However, you can find great deals on used ones because a lot are owned by older guys and they got very low miles and generally well maintained.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:45 PM   #129
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Had the MT82 in my 2015 and 2019 Mustang. No issues with either one. I liked the shifter. My 2019 had the 2nd gear diesel grind though that seemed to worsen over time. Would have kept the Mustang but got a great deal on it so sold it and barley lost anything.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:26 PM   #130
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
Had the MT82 in my 2015 and 2019 Mustang. No issues with either one. I liked the shifter. My 2019 had the 2nd gear diesel grind though that seemed to worsen over time. Would have kept the Mustang but got a great deal on it so sold it and barley lost anything.

Good thing you got rid of the 2019 when it started having the issues in second gear. Very likely you would have had to get the tranny replaced.

the 2011 thru 14 had a lot of issues. The Boss seemed to have a lot of transmission issues. A lot of MT82 owners had the similar grinding problem that would get worse and worse. Some MT 82s were going bad after just 1000 miles.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:36 PM   #131
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Having driven a 2020 Mustang GT w/M6, I can say that the TR-6060 in the Camaro is so much better. The throw is shorter(I believe SS 1LE has a shorter shifter than SS, but I could be wrong), and the mechanical meshing feel is what a proper sports car should have.

Durability issues aside, the Getrash MT82 just feels like a family car manual transmission to me. Really, the manual trans I tried felt more like my 08 Honda Accord beater than an S2 RX-8 or Camaro, both of which have pretty solid manual trans. It's alright if you are not comparing to any sports cars, but drive a sports car with a good manual transmission and the MT82 will just feel underwhelming.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:17 AM   #132
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Do the 2021 5.0 get rear Brembo standard yet?
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:11 PM   #133
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post

Not sure but if so that will drive the cost of it up. The Mustangs are getting pretty price. Even though the 2019 + stangs are nearly up to par with Camaro 6 I'd rather just buy a used Camaro 6 than a new base model Mustang.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:12 AM   #134
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Not that I know of. I don't believe the rear brakes on my friend's GT PP1 are Brembo.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:14 AM   #135
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
Yea so far my 19 my has been stout, some hush hush revisions were made to the shift forks, and as it's broken in its behaved better. Not as good and sturdy feeling as the tr6060 though.

I think the 18 mt82's well documented issues snapping forks gave them an even worse reputation.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 10:23 PM   #136
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Am I the only one that thinks the Shelby Gt350 is a waste of money? Sticker price starts at 60k and the thing is only slightly faster 0-60 than the Camaro and the quarter mile is about the same or slightly slower.

The Camaro SS 1LE is an overall better buy and a lot cheaper.

Heck you can just get a used ZL1 instead.

I have noticed the Mustangs are getting pricey the last couple years.

best to buy a used base model and mod the heck out of it.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:26 PM   #137
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Where has Hotlap been? Anyone seen him lately?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Have not seen him post lately, hope everything is ok
Merry Christmas Guys. All is good with Mrs. Hotlap and myself. Been laying loooowwww.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:35 PM   #138
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Merry Christmas Guys. All is good with Mrs. Hotlap and myself. Been laying loooowwww.
Good to hear from ya buddy. It definitely has been a while. Glad you and the family are ok. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!! Don't go disappearing on us again, lol!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:39 PM   #139
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Good to hear from ya buddy. It definitely has been a while. Glad you and the family are ok. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!! Don't go disappearing on us again, lol!!

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:01 PM   #140
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
Am I the only one that thinks the Shelby Gt350 is a waste of money? Sticker price starts at 60k and the thing is only slightly faster 0-60 than the Camaro and the quarter mile is about the same or slightly slower.

The Camaro SS 1LE is an overall better buy and a lot cheaper.
When I bought mine in late 2017, the GT350s were going for over sticker. On the other hand, I picked up the 1LE with a $5.5k discount. Essentially I would have had to pay $20k more for the right to say "I drive a GT350" which admittedly sounds cooler than saying "I drive a Camaro" or saying "I drive a 1LE" and getting blank stares. I can keep my mouth shut just fine for $20k though.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote