Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Unhappy So I let my Dad drive my Camaro... And he wrecked it.

My dad wrecked my Camaro last night with me in it.... And I'd just finished putting in the new sound system :-/ we were listening to it and he was in the driver's seat when he put it in gear all of a sudden and wanted to drive around the block. He took a corner too wide (Just didn't cut the wheel enough) and smashed it into a curb at between 25-30 mph; just got cocky and it got away from him. Almost hit a big brick mailbox too but I screamed "mailbox!!" And he narrowly avoided it... but he jacked up the suspension. Wheel is rashed all to hell, pushed in a few inches and back a few inches and out of alignment enough where the steering is jacked. I'm pretty sure it needs tie rods and control arms, new wheel and tire, who knows what else. It was throwing stabilitrak and traction control codes when i took it to the dealership this morning; the dash was lit up like a Christmas tree

I'm hoping the strut isn't shot but if it is I have a replacement. It's at the dealer now. I'm in a new Chevy Captiva SUV. No engine or body damage thank god (well, a scrape under the fascia). But he insists on a fascia repaint (so no more rock chips!) and new front tires so at least now they'll match the rears (GMAX)

He said it put his 68 chevelle 350 to shame and he was blown away by how fast it is and the torque. He said he had no clue a V6 could be that powerful, and he had no idea what he was getting into. He feels just wretched; I am trying very hard not to be mad at him.

We are OK. When asked why the hell he did it, he just scuffled his feet, looked down and said, "because... Racecar." So that made me smile. Now we wait to see what fixing it will cost... And how long it'll take. I have a car show next Friday and am afraid it won't be done by then.

Attaching a pic. Any and all estimations on damage, what's needed and time it'll be in the shop are welcome. What do y'all think?
Attached Images

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
omgitsmikeyC

Drives: 2014 CTS-V- totalled/ 45TH ss- SOLD
Sorry your baby had to go through this. Hope they get you fixed up, and if it doesn't feel right, make them fix it! Glad everyones ok.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
That is a long way from wrecked
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
A.VEE.BEE
So Cold!

Drives: Summit White 2015 2SS
Wink

Wow! Sorry to hear that! Glad everyone is okay. Tell pops he has to pay for it!!
Old 06-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Damn, sorry to hear this. Hope everything works out.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
That is a long way from wrecked
It's messed up. Won't steer right, sounds awful. Needs serious suspension work. Trust me it's wrecked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt View Post
He drove an old Chevelle with no suspension and managed to hit a curb in your car? Hate to see what that old Chevelle looks like.
It was 35 years ago. He doesn't have it anymore....

He just didn't turn the wheel enough and he was going too fast, showing out.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
TSW

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT Coup
I agree, that's a loooong way from being wrecked ! I would be upset too, but I'm sure your Dad must feel absolutely terrible, just as you would if you'd done the same and it was his. At least you'll always have an ace to hold over him in any argument ! LOL
My son in law backed into the front of my brand new 2008 Mustang convertible on Fathers day....first weekend I had it ! He felt terrible and while I wanted to choke someone, I told him to relax and not worry about it. I found out later he asked my daughter to come in and tell me and she said NO way! YOU tell him. Ha ha. Get it fixed and carry on. Could have been much worse.
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
NOT URSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to NOT URSS
Set the toe and let it go! lol j/k Sorry to see this happen. Shit happens no matter how much experience you got behind the wheel.

I'm sure he is pretty embarrassed.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
it's dad, what can you do
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
Don't be too hard on your Dad, us old guys don't have the reflex and eye coordination we once had. Your car is beautiful, get her fixed up and you will always have a good story to rib your dad about.
Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG383 View Post
Don't be too hard on your Dad, us old guys don't have the reflex and eye coordination we once had. Your car is beautiful, get her fixed up and you will always have a good story to rib your dad about.

agreed our reflexes do not keep up with our second, third, fourth etc etc childhoods
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
mcbeth15

Drives: '11 RS 2LT IBM
Glad everyone's ok. Don't worry she'll be good as new in no time. Now, go give your father a big hug and a kiss, he needs it now more than ever.
mcbeth15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #13
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
That sucks. Hope the repairs go well and you get your car back soon!
Old 06-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #14
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

My dad also backed into it with his F-250 when my Camaro was four months old

So what do we call $2-3k worth of suspension damage, then, if not wrecked? Is there a better word for it...? Sorry if y'all were expecting twisted metal and blood...