Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #29
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
or you have a pile of dead bodies in your trunk.
If that was the case then traction shouldn't be an issue
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #30
Yellow_Glide

Drives: 2011 1LT "Chakita". 04 Yota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
I'd hate to embarrass myself- or go up in smoke!
Lol. That's my thought!

Build thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3847083

Yellow_Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #31
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
So for manual trannies- is the consensus to with nannies off and control you own wheelspin, or go with nannies on?

I may get a chance to actually run this thing in 3wks, and I'd hate to embarrass myself- or go up in smoke!
my very first time down the track, I actually did better with the nannies on while I got used to the whole experience. With some more runs in, I turned TC off. It was hard to control the wheel spin at first (BF tires, not Perelli's), but I eventually got a 14.7 in a horrible DA. I would recommend it on if its your first time dragging, but then turn it off and have fun trying to perfect your launch
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #32
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
I am guessing his traction control is cutting power when it begins to spin since he's leaving everything on. I would try everything turned off and lower the pressure in the Pirrellis to around 25 lbs. I'm surprised that this engine/trans combo is having any problems with traction.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #33
Altma

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 1LT Synergy Green
I Went out to the track yesterday, and I was having the same issue - just terrible 60' times 2.5sec +. Only difference I knew I was spinning - Best time I got was 15.13 @ 93mph - My traps were in the 92-95mph area each time. I had traction control off, I brought my RPMs up to about 2000 and feathered it out to get where I did, and I pulled a 2.2sec 60' which was considerably better, but I still had a lot of wheelspin. Live and learn -- I'll be getting some DRs for next outing.

Tires: Pirelli P-Zero All-Weather
Tire pressure: 26 lbs
Transmission: Manual
Old 10-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #34
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
May have missed it, but are you a manual trans or auto? The nannies on will close the throttle and pull timing as your tires begin to spin so that will slow your ET & MPH the entire run.

Good reaction time, but reaction time has zero effect on ET, but will win races all day long so keep it up!

Manual trans your just overpowering those tires and with the nannies off you wont get much improvement either.

Get some DR's and watch how well you do.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #35
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
Do you have anything to monitor the knock retard and timing advance? You have to be pulling timing for that low of a trap speed, or you have a pile of dead bodies in your trunk.
Haha! No, I don't have anything to monitor it.

Quote:
So for manual trannies- is the consensus to with nannies off and control you own wheelspin, or go with nannies on?

I may get a chance to actually run this thing in 3wks, and I'd hate to embarrass myself- or go up in smoke!
Good luck! Mine is an automatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
If that was the case then traction shouldn't be an issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
I am guessing his traction control is cutting power when it begins to spin since he's leaving everything on. I would try everything turned off and lower the pressure in the Pirrellis to around 25 lbs. I'm surprised that this engine/trans combo is having any problems with traction.
Her. I'm a she. And yeah, this car will spin just like a V8. Plenty of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
May have missed it, but are you a manual trans or auto? The nannies on will close the throttle and pull timing as your tires begin to spin so that will slow your ET & MPH the entire run.

Good reaction time, but reaction time has zero effect on ET, but will win races all day long so keep it up!

Manual trans your just overpowering those tires and with the nannies off you wont get much improvement either.

Get some DR's and watch how well you do.

Automatic, and I can't afford DR's. :(

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #36
jlawrence613

Drives: 2011 V6 Premium Mustang
I think the key here is turn off all of your electronic babysitters. The track should be prepped enough that you wont slip and slide all over the place down the track. You probably dont make enough power for that anyways. practice your launch rpm to reduce wheel spin and let her rip. Get that 60' down and your cpu shouldnt get in the way of you getting a good run in.

I had asked the question about you guys cars a while ago about why some people suggest leaving TC on when you're at the drag strip. Cant remember what the outcome was. But we disable EVERYTHING when we run. It may be a SRA vs IRS thing. But I know both our engines kill power when it detects wheel spin. you might have a lot of that going on with part of your TC still activated.
Mods: MPT 93 Tune, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Airaid CAI, Boss 302 STB, J&M LCA, Whiteline Relocation Brackets, Eibach Sportlines, 18x9/10 2010 GT500 rims 255/45, 285/40/18 Nitto555, BBK Longtube Headers O/R X-pipe Up next: BBK 73mm TB, Ported Intake Manifold, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Mustang GT 2.75" Overaxle pipe.
2011 Ford Mustang V6: 13.258 @ 107.45 MPH Uncorrected
jlawrence613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #37
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence613 View Post

I had asked the question about you guys cars a while ago about why some people suggest leaving TC on when you're at the drag strip. Cant remember what the outcome was. But we disable EVERYTHING when we run. It may be a SRA vs IRS thing. But I know both our engines kill power when it detects wheel spin. you might have a lot of that going on with part of your TC still activated.
I think it is a couple things. One...I feel that for sure it is more difficult to launch in the Camaro than it is in the Mustang because of the IRS and the added weigh which keeps us spinnin rather than goin. lol

Two...since she has an auto, the car has an open diff which makes it even more difficult to get traction.

As far as the TC....TC on doesn't seem to kill the power so much as it seems to regulate it...but I could be wrong there. I've done enough 0 - 60 runs to know what it feels like, and the car doesn't seem to fall on its face...rather the rpms seem to just stay consistent until traction kicks back in. Anyone feel free to correct me on this one. I know some members here (scrming comes to mind) was pulling 2.0 60's on his stock 20s launching with TC from an rpm just over idle.

Something else I've heard is to reach down and turn off TC once you've hit 2nd gear. I'm not sure if it really helps, but I'd guess that if the nannies are doing anything after the launch this would help remove that.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #38
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Also,

Sure seems very strange that your BF's SS only ran into the mid 14s.

Did you see any other stock or near stock times for other cars? If no SS or GTs are getting much into the 13s then something else is at play here (track prep, weather.....track gremlins)
Old 10-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #39
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Also,

Sure seems very strange that your BF's SS only ran into the mid 14s.

Did you see any other stock or near stock times for other cars? If no SS or GTs are getting much into the 13s then something else is at play here (track prep, weather.....track gremlins)
KM-- it was only his second time to drag race, and he was spinning. I did beat a V8 GTO; he ran either high fifteens or low sixteens if I remember. His TT GTO buddies were all running 13's.

That's really all I saw of other cars.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #40
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
KM-- it was only his second time to drag race, and he was spinning. I did beat a V8 GTO; he ran either high fifteens or low sixteens if I remember. His TT GTO buddies were all running 13's.

That's really all I saw of other cars.
Where were you running? Sounds like track prep may have played a role. A turbo GTO should run much better than that.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #41
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Where were you running? Sounds like track prep may have played a role. A turbo GTO should run much better than that.
Tulsa. And there was a ridiculous amount of rubber on the track now that I think about it; it was solid black at the tree.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #42
bhall82
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Frustrated with my quarter times.. suggestions?

2 more cylinders!!! I you..... You know I had to.

From what your saying about the other cars it sounds as if track prep sucked or there are a bunch of non driving fools in Tulsa
bhall82 is offline   Reply With Quote