Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-28-2011, 02:22 AM   #1
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Unhappy Paint (dealer hail damage repair) warranty? help!

So when I bought my '11 IBM RS two months ago I was informed she had been hail damaged at the dealer and repaired. They had waxed her to a gloss of course and i saw no noticible repair. After a month i noticed the hood paint seemed less glossy than the rest. Now I am noticing without a wax some circular areas in the paint.... Very light, where the Hail damage was. It's noticeable as I saw it when I was applying touch up paint to a rock chip. Should I bring it to the dealer's attention and ask for a new hood/paint job? Since I signed a paper saying I knew they had repaired the Hail damage, is it my problem? Will they cover it? Please advise as I am sick over this.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread

Last edited by BowtieBelle; 08-28-2011 at 02:49 AM.
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:54 AM   #2
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
In my opinion, unless the document specifically stated that they would not be responsible for any further repairs of hail damage (which I don't think it says), they must repair it. It would only come down to agreeing that this is indeed the result of the hail damage, not something that happened after the sale.

I think the document is to keep someone from later asking for a refund due to lack of disclosure of the car's history.

IMO, if you go for repairs, try to get a hole new hood or the whole hood repainted, NOT a spot touch up. Also, ask for the hood only to be removed and taken to the body shop, not the whole car; avoids overspray.

GOOD LUCK!
babaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
I would look over this site for your home state of Arkansas. It has valuable information in there. I would review your contract and see if it lines up with info on this site. Also look at the Arkansas Motor Vehicle Act linked below.

If you want to get right to the point, go to this section:
23-112-705. Disclosure of Damage to Consumer – Certification.

http://www.amvc.arkansas.gov/pdf/law.pdf

http://www.armvc.com/Consumers.html

If you don't want to bother, then just read this:

(a) Whenever a motor vehicle is damaged after delivery to the dealer by the manufacturer or
distributor but before sale by the dealer to the consumer, and the occurrence and extent of such
damage is in excess of six percent (6%) of the sticker price of the vehicle, it must be disclosed by
the dealer to the consumer prior to the sale, and upon repair of the damage sustained, or
replacement of parts or accessories damaged, the dealer must certify to the consumer that this
motor vehicle has been repaired or remanufactured according to the manufacturer's standards.

(b) Upon such certification, liability for any concealed damages then remaining with the
motor vehicle shall lie with the dealer.

In other words, they must fix it for you.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Thing is, I bought the car in Oklahoma. Are the rules the same?

Old 08-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
Same wording here in Ohio so I would think it's the same there too.
babaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:54 AM   #6
TheHorse13

Have you gone to the dealer yet? I'd worry about the laws only if they refuse to repair the problem. It's pretty clear that you have the law on your side with this one. I'm sure the dealer is aware too. Let us know what they say.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

I talked to them this morning. They claim to have replaced the hood but OBVIOUSLY not. They want me to bring it in. They're about 50 miles away, so getting it over there during the week is hard. I called the in-town dealer here, who's been pretty good to me, and they told me to just bring it to them as it is under warranty and they will handle it with their in-house body shop. What do you guys think?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
TheHorse13

You have to give them the opportunity to attempt the proper repair. Bring it to your dealer.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Thing is, where I bought it is NOT my dealer. I had to get it there because it was the only IBM one I could find new within 500 miles. I've always used my in-town dealer, and getting it all the way over to the other place in Oklahoma on my lunch break isn't really feasible...

Old 08-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
TheHorse13

They will tell you that your schedule is not their problem. You are going to have to allow them to attempt the repair UNLESS they give you permission to take it to another shop. VERY unlikely though. If this is bothering you this much, open a case with GM and see if they can perhaps get you over to your regular dealer for the work.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:59 AM   #11
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

My regular dealer said they could handle it. I don't see the need to take it anywhere else as long as the place I bought it from doesn't care. They don't even have a body shop, they source it all out...

Old 08-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #12
TheHorse13

Wonderful. Take it to your regular dealer then. Sounds like this issue is solved.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #13
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

We'll see what happens when I go by today. I just talked to where I bought it, and they are still requesting I bring it to them first. They believe that the body shop they sourced it out to, which charged them for a new hood, may have screwed them and just filled and painted it. I hope this doesn't get overly complicated.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #14
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Can you post a pic of what your talking about?
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote