Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #1
legendary70

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Question How do yall clean up....

Hello.

I was wondering how everyone here cleans, dries and picks up car wash equipment?

Do yall wash microfiber cloths after each use?
Do yall keep window cleaner and fiber cloth together in a bag?
Same for armor all?
Detailing materials?

Any advice? Thx

Just want to be more efficient.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:36 PM   #2
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
I’m very basic
I go to touch less car wash.
Use plush microfiber towel to dry what dryer missed. Use with a spray lubricant.
Wheel cleaner but I don’t scrub.
Armour all for tires.
Need to apply sealant but haven’t yet.
I do wash towels after every use.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
First thing is first, if your not using the "two bucket method" you need to youtube it. The name of the car wash game is to touch your paint as little as possible. blow drying is a life changer. If you are really serious you want to get the paint fully clean (iron remover, clay bar, paint correction, and a sealant of your choice). After that, try the best you can to never touch the paint with anything. Of course your going to need to wash it but use a lot of lubrication (more car wash liquid, DO NOT USE DISH SOAP as it strips waxes, polishes and sealants). Also something I cringe when I see at car shows is people using "quick detail." All that does it wipe what dirt and dust that collected on the drive over across the paint like sand paper, eek. Your supposed to use that stuff like the person above me says, as a drying aid after wash on clean paint.

After use I have two piles until it gets big enough to throw in the washer after a few car washes.

The first type of material goes in the washer together:
i have about 6 wash mits/microfiber sponges (always spray off completely and squeeze as much water out as possible
a bunch of cheap "microfiber" cloths from walmart for drying of glass and wiping interior plastics.

These I wash separately from the above
about 10 very nice high pile count microfibers for absorbing water left behind after blow drying with battery leaf blower

I allow all the towels and wash mits to air dry after the washing machine, machine drying may damage the microfiber. Side note, don't use any "shinyness" enhancer on interior plastics. That stuff usually dries out your dashboard, etc. I always wash interior with a damp soapy walmart microfiber and dry with one as well.

If you want some more details of products let me know.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:45 PM   #4
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
Hey: I use different micro fiber towels for seperate jobs. Such as polishing, waxing, interior, and wheels. I also use a special microfiber cleaner when washing them. Helps get them completely clean and keeps the nap in great shape.
Windows I use towelsl made from polypropylene. Don't leave lint or glue residue like your standard paper towels.
Everyone likes their own brand of cleaning products. I say get a good polish and carnuba wax. A quality detailer spray, interior spray and a pH neutral wheel cleaner and brush. This will be a great starter kit for you
Also some different naps of Quality microfiber towels from calcarcover.com or Griot's garage. Both have excellent products!
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:45 PM   #5
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
Buy a couple of good microfiber wash mitts, good car wash soap, I'm currently using some Chemical guys high suds stuff, large 100% used soft bath towels, no dryer sheets. Wash/wax with microfiber and lots of cotton towels I got cheap at Adams polishes. I wash all the towels after each wash. And use a single bucket with a grit guard. No car like this that I've ever owned has been dirty enough to use two buckets.
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #6
legendary70

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Great info. So for grammar.

Wash: I use Meguires wash and wax car wash. (i am going to start using the chemical guys one)

Dry: We use chemical guys synthetic quick detailer with a plush microfiber x 2.

Rims: I use the meguires wash and wax with a microfiber bendable brush.

Tires: Chemical guys VRP shine and protectant. using a tire applicator foam pad.

Spoiler: (which i have not yet painted with satin paint) i use the chemical guys matte detailer matte sealant.

Windows: I use rain x with a chemical guys streak free cloth.

We have a detail garage with all chemical guys products....its awesome.

I wash microfiber cloths after each wash. I wash my car at least twice a week. depending on weather. of course I never share cloths. Every job has its own cloth and cleaner. I store the cloth and cleaner in a plastic bag.

I do have a question. The inside of my windshield. I use the rain x anti fog. But when I use it I go over window with the anti fog and then go over again with another cloth. Yet I still see some streaks....especially when it is cold then hot and it fogs up...any ideas to keep it clean and anti fogless??

thx

Last edited by legendary70; 03-10-2020 at 03:30 PM. Reason: wrong
legendary70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:33 PM   #7
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
I will say that a lot of "trendy" things in the car wash/detail world don't make any real world difference. However. There ARE things that I believe DO make a difference.

The two bucket method. Took me ONE time dumping out the rinse bucket to become a believer. That being said, once I went to a foam cannon, I stopped using a wash bucket, so in all honesty, I'm back to the one bucket method!!! -it's just a rinse bucket instead of a wash bucket!!!

...speaking of the foam cannon, I love mine and use it every chance I get. Is it better than an old fashion soapy wash bucket? Nah. I don't feel that it is. I just like doing it! ....although on super dirty vehicles I can see it's benefit in removing more dirt before your mitt touches paint. My vehicles rarely get THAT dirty though. Still....it's fun, and part of my routine.

Blow drying, then using a proper towel and drying aid. SOOO much easier. I've found a high pile, high GSM weight towel makes a difference in drying. It's the only "task" specific microfiber that I buy. All the other microfibers are just generic towels. Blow dry, then heavy MF with a drying aid. Easy peasy.

Claybar pad instead of putty. I pay $25 for one, once a year. I do all 3 of my cars in the spring with that one pad, then throw it out. Buy a new one next year, when it's time for decon. It's just SOOO much easier to use in my opinion.

A good quality sealant twice a year instead of wax. I used to swear the good ole carnuba was just better. It's not. Not at all. Not even close. Unless you have non metallic, garage queen, new, perfectly maintained paint, in which case there's an argument for the appearance of carnuba, but I think that's far less than 1% of us out there.

Quote:
Also something I cringe when I see at car shows is people using "quick detail." All that does it wipe what dirt and dust that collected on the drive over across the paint like sand paper, eek.

I agree that this is the correct advice. I also agree with the notion of "touch" as little as possible, however, in my experience, if the car is clean, then you properly dust (note I said properly) with car duster, I've noticed no issues with spray detailing at a show. Keep in mind that ANY time you touch the paint, you run the risk on that one pebble or spec of sand, etc. etc, and I concede spray detailing at a show DOES introduce this risk....but as for minor dust acquired from garage to cruise in? I don't feel it's really that big a deal in practice.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:35 PM   #8
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary70 View Post

I do have a question. The inside of my windshield. I use the rain x anti fog. But when I use it I go over window with the anti fog and then go over again with another cloth. Yet I still see some streaks....especially when it is cold then hot and it fogs up...any ideas to keep it clean and anti fogless??

thx
This is the world's unsolveable question lol. Hopefully someone chimes in with a good cleaner. I haven't gotten it since I park in a garage and leave the windows down now. It seems to help the film buildup vs. and outdoors car
Old 03-10-2020, 03:39 PM   #9
MISTAPOWA

Drives: camaro rs
It's my daily with 45k in less than 2 years. So I go to a car wash. Soft cloth or touch free depending on amount of dirt. Whatever the wash doesn't blow dry I microfiber. I always keep it waxed and occasionally I have the paint corrected. I spend the rest of my day driving the car and enjoying it.

I'm way too busy to spend hundreds on overpriced chemicals, multiple buckets, and half my weekend, to clean a car. Went through that phase before, its not worth it.
MISTAPOWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:53 PM   #10
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
This is the world's unsolveable question lol. Hopefully someone chimes in with a good cleaner. I haven't gotten it since I park in a garage and leave the windows down now. It seems to help the film buildup vs. and outdoors car
A bit counterintuitive, as it's a thick white product, but I've had success in removing clingy film off the inside of the windshield with Adam's brilliant glaze. After that, I use a simple glass cleaner and see no streaks for a while.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:57 PM   #11
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
On my DD, I just clean the inside of the windshield about every 2 or 3 weeks. Even when the rest of the car doesn't get clean, I'll take a few minutes and wipe down the inside windshield. I use Stoner's aerosol glass cleaner, but I think it's more just staying on top of it than anything else. HATE cleaning the inside of the windshield!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:07 PM   #12
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
On my DD, I just clean the inside of the windshield about every 2 or 3 weeks. Even when the rest of the car doesn't get clean, I'll take a few minutes and wipe down the inside windshield. I use Stoner's aerosol glass cleaner, but I think it's more just staying on top of it than anything else. HATE cleaning the inside of the windshield!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's a tip, try a thinner microfiber or glass cleaning towel on the invisible glass windshield cleaning stick, it's a nice tool with a tilting triangular head. Makes easy work of the front, although the rear is a b*tch even with that.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:07 PM   #13
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
For me maintaining my daily driver (2018 V6 Camaro) vs my weekend/summer toy (built 2000 Camaro SS) are radically different. Is this a daily driver that sees all elements of weather, or just a summer toy type of ride?
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:19 PM   #14
cskipgo

Drives: 2019 2SS A10 Shadow Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
A bit counterintuitive, as it's a thick white product, but I've had success in removing clingy film off the inside of the windshield with Adam's brilliant glaze. After that, I use a simple glass cleaner and see no streaks for a while.
I will also vouch for the wonders of Adam's Brilliant Glaze!
cskipgo is offline   Reply With Quote