Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-28-2021, 05:50 PM   #1
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
More Rumors That 2024 Is Officially "The End"

If true, ZL1 prices should keep rising

https://www.motortrend.com/news/chev...v-sedan-rumor/

If you think that means there is a hope or a prayer the Camaro may live on yet in its current form or be redesigned for a seventh generation, we have some bad news. As our friends at Hot Rod reported recently, the sixth-generation Chevy Camaro lacks a replacement; GM is sunsetting the Alpha platform on which its pony car rides. While it could slide the Camaro atop the Alpha's replacement, the rear-drive-based A2XX architecture that underpins Cadillac's CT4 and CT5, GM has apparently made no plans to do so. Chevy will keep the two-door Camaro coupe and convertible around until 2024, and then unceremoniously kill the model off.
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:54 PM   #2
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Oh well, get one while you can still buy a new one.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #3
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I still remember back in 2002 GM said the Monte Carlo would still provide the performance gap.

At least they have the CT4 and CT5 Blackwing. Though I could do without the price of either one.

Dodge already said the next generation of performance cars in their line up was going to be electric. So they probably will be killing the Charger and Challenger too.

I don't mind just as long as the replacement is just as fast or as fast as the ZL1 is around a road course.... consistently.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:31 PM   #4
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
I still remember back in 2002 GM said the Monte Carlo would still provide the performance gap.
Lol I remember gm touting that too. Funny stuff....
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Call it a Chevelle or an Impala and I'll be fine.

Hey Big Al, don't let me down, bro!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:55 PM   #6
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
I don't mind just as long as the replacement is just as fast or as fast as the ZL1 is around a road course.... consistently.
I wouldn't hold your breath
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:32 PM   #7
BUCKEYE NATION

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Sadly the market is driving the camaro to its current end. The sales figures don't make sense at this point. Though I love my ZL1, I know it is only time when v8 rwd muscle cars will go the way of the dinosaur. I rode in a neighbors Tesla Model 3 performance and could see why he loves it. Of course I felt like it was like driving a fast wash machine...boring interior...its egg shape....just doesn't pass the eye test. But my buddies model s Ludacris mode was just that, Ludacris! Good thing for us is that our cars will continue up in value as the overall driving mechanics are far more engaging. Just sad...but it makes financial sense for GM to make the decision.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:03 AM   #8
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
I don’t understand why it has to be a total transformation to EV. Why can’t they still offer some ICE options? I thought the requirements were an average of all models offered, not that everything has to be all electric and ICE vehicles are going to be completely banned. What a crock
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:40 AM   #9
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
I don’t understand why it has to be a total transformation to EV. Why can’t they still offer some ICE options? I thought the requirements were an average of all models offered, not that everything has to be all electric and ICE vehicles are going to be completely banned. What a crock
The reality is simply consumers have the ultimate say in a real open capitalist market. Meaning if the vast majority of buyers rejected the move to EV, & manufacturers lost their ass in R&D, marketing & production they’d have no choice but to either re-evaluate their managerial decisions & reverse course, or go out of business.

The tipping scale here is .gov infusion of our money into corporate entities going EV. That means whether you buy one or not your tax dollars still support them. Then again running a national deficit, as we are, is it money .gov, or us for that matter, truly posses? Especially true considering .gov possesses no money revenue we the people do not possess.

Tesla, as an example, would not be in business if it wasn’t for the carbon exchange scheme currently in place. That’s the reality of a market segment with no real viability outside of .gov regulatory intrusion into open markets of product consumption aside from what is primarily a niche market comprising, currently, of less than 5% of what is a very large market segment.

While admittedly the constitution gives certain regulatory power to federal government, as it pertains to interstate commerce, a given regulatory position based on purely political predication is never in good economic form in the best interest of the entire populace. This is especially true when said policies are pushed without a complete infrastructural emplacement, established in civilian investment & development, to meet real market demand.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:00 AM   #10
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
The reality is simply consumers have the ultimate say in a real open capitalist market. Meaning if the vast majority of buyers rejected the move to EV, & manufacturers lost their ass in R&D, marketing & production they’d have no choice but to either re-evaluate their managerial decisions & reverse course, or go out of business.
While that may be true you will never see a rejection on that scale. I mean, well maybe people en mass might reject something that happens on a reality show or in a movie, for sure. But for something like a vehicle, most people will eventually cave in and conform. As much as I like gas powered engines, if they hold out long enough, hey I gotta get to work and pay bills and I certainly don't wanna be homeless. So yea, I would cave in much sooner than someone with less responsibility or less to lose.

Or simply, the companies can make it less and less attractive to buy/own/operate gas powered vehicles. So the mass public rejects it...but then gas prices go up to $7 a gallon for regular. And gas stations are few and far between. So it will cost over $100 to fill your tank and the closest gas station is 10 miles away and there is a 2 mile long wait and perhaps they run out of gas before you get to the pump. During Hurricane Sandy I luckily filled all my vehicles I owned at that time before the storm. But about a week later I needed to refuel and get fuel for my generator. So I had to go on the GSP to the rest stop, wait in a line about a mile long for about an hour, and when I got to the pump I was limited on how many gallons I could purchase AND the price was a bit higher than normal. So what will people start to do when purchasing fuel is that extreme? They are gonna cave in. And I'm talking about the minority of people who are resistant to EV. Right now the majority of the public is pretty receptive to it. So it will not be much of an issue when they start rolling them out. When that time comes, the very few of us who still can afford gas, or who can justify paying the costs and waiting in lines and driving 10 miles to get it and being limited to only like 10 gallons or regular...we're not gonna have any say or choice in the matter.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:57 AM   #11
10mm
Account Suspended

Drives: My wife nuts...
Follow the money folks.
Lithium mining is the new oil well.
China will be the next Saudi Arabia (with the help of our Federal overlords)
10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:04 AM   #12
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
I think it’ll be interesting. EV could fall flat, environmentalist could turn against them at some point (if they really opened their eyes).

GM should be careful and keep a good mix of ICE and EV. They’ll probably keep the trucks ICE/large SUV and experiment with cars/small suv as EV. Trucks are their profit centers anyways.

Unfortunately that’s not good for the Camaro…
Old 07-29-2021, 06:38 AM   #13
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
I don’t understand why it has to be a total transformation to EV.
It's won't be, at least not for all of GM. But since Lansing Grand River is the plant that makes Camaro and Cadillac sedans is being converted to manufacture the new Caddy BEV platform... the Camaro won't have another plant to be produced in unless it's on the BEV chassis.

While it's possible to have a 2 door BEV variant, there may be some constraints with the (probably single) upcoming skateboard form factor driving the wheelbase up to the point where a 2 door car just won't fit. The single door will be pretty damn long... or they'll have to customize (shrink) the skateboard 20-25% so it looks right and battery capacity will be shit. Battery technology and form factor economics might improve so there could be one in the in the following BEV Caddy generation (2030ish), but in 2024-5 it might be a problem.

Quote:
Why can’t they still offer some ICE options? I thought the requirements were an average of all models offered, not that everything has to be all electric and ICE vehicles are going to be completely banned. What a crock
Fear not, right now there isn't enough battery mineral mining capacity on the planet (nor electrical power generation capacity) to convert 100% of automotive manufacturing to electric. And there won't be for at least another 25-50 years.

All these statements from the auto manufacturers that "we will be 100% electric by 2035" are marketing bullshit aimed at politicians and activists. 2050 maybe or 2075 possible, but no ****ing way before 2035. GM has already started walking back their original claims.

There will be some states (California) and countries (Europe) that will tax the crap out of passenger ICE technology because of <CA reasons> and international cash flow economics (nearly 100% of hydrocarbon fuels are imported in Europe), but as long as the energy cost density of liquid hydrocarbon fuels exceeds that of battery storage, there will be ICE vehicles.

Long haul trucks will be around for at least another 100 years. And my great grandkids can enjoy racing around the countryside in my Red Barchetta.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:42 AM   #14
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
One need only look at government today to know that they can mandate just about anything they want. Yes, they are already looking at raising the tax on gas. They will meddle in whatever they want to get what they want. If you think we will have choices in the future, forget it. They will force EV's on the public whether you want them or not. The administration just yesterday said the are looking at increasing the mileage requirements for vehicles. Another forced move on manufactures. So you see, as a consumer your choices will be made for you.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote