Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-02-2021, 03:56 PM   #29
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
nobody suddenly gets a seized engine from used oil not being "adequate".

you would have so many warnings and tell-tale signs that you're running sludge or extremely degraded oil before that.

Even if you were losing oil, you'd have to ignore the warning lights and ticking of the valves etc ..

The gauge for oil life is a super conservative estimate.. nothing more, nothing less. it doesn't test the oil. It isn't going to risk saying something is good if it might not be.

So changing it by the gauge is 100% guaranteed to be throwing away oil before it's lifespan. That's what it has to do in order to protect the liability of GM.

You as an owner, can decide if you want to play it more conservative financially. Depending on driving habits and such, you may have drastically more life in the oil ...or not much at all.

I just go by the gauge because the way i drive ...by the time the gauge says 0, my oil smells like fuel and is dark enough to warrant a change. And i always drive it to 0 since i'm using better oil than factory and a better filter. So it's not too far off.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:06 PM   #30
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
nobody suddenly gets a seized engine from used oil not being "adequate".

you would have so many warnings and tell-tale signs that you're running sludge or extremely degraded oil before that.

Even if you were losing oil, you'd have to ignore the warning lights and ticking of the valves etc ..

The gauge for oil life is a super conservative estimate.. nothing more, nothing less. it doesn't test the oil. It isn't going to risk saying something is good if it might not be.

So changing it by the gauge is 100% guaranteed to be throwing away oil before it's lifespan. That's what it has to do in order to protect the liability of GM.

You as an owner, can decide if you want to play it more conservative financially. Depending on driving habits and such, you may have drastically more life in the oil ...or not much at all.

I just go by the gauge because the way i drive ...by the time the gauge says 0, my oil smells like fuel and is dark enough to warrant a change. And i always drive it to 0 since i'm using better oil than factory and a better filter. So it's not too far off.
Oh nobody ignores warning lights you say? Or engine ticks? Or just doesn’t realize they have to check their oil?
THINK AGAIN!!!
I’ve been a licensed tech in auto and heavy equipment for over 25 years. I’ve seen people get their vehicles towed in only to find the original oil filter on the car at 50000 kms. The oil in the filter if bad enough will look like a hockey puck. And no they never checked the oil. But they are still looking for warranty LOL.
Actually my friends brother seized an engine and his level was fine. The engine made it to 89000kms. He bitched and said the engine was junk. Wanna take a guess why it seized?

But I do agree often times there is lots of life in oil that gets changed. Actually I see it on a daily basis at my work. We always over service our equipment. We often wonder how much it costs the company.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:00 PM   #31
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
not saying they dont ignore lights/noises/signs, just that it's not some sudden thing.

it's weeks if not months of neglect before the engine is dead. If it ever dies from oil issues rather than before some other catastrophic thing happens to the car since people who make those kinds of decisions are likely making poor ones all over the place like not watching for other cars in traffic ..etc.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:45 PM   #32
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Blow by on a new completely sealed engine that is parked and not running. No different than oil in a sealed container. EPA goes to great lengths to prevent vapors.
In my mind it's just a way gm can sell oil changes and they use the warranty as leverage.
There are certainly arguments for going longer on engine oil, but the only way to be sure is, as mentioned, UOA. I know some guys on the Accord forum I go to do that to get the most out of a given oil change, but those aren't the majority. Most of them who do this don't do it to really save money anyway, as FarmerFran mentioned, UOA itself costs like $40~$50. And remember, you probably have to a couple of UOA before you reach the limit of how long you can put off changing the oil as you push the oil change interval gradually. The saving will just take way too long to realize. At least don't lie to yourself saying you are saving money.

Kind of a moot point for me, anyway, as I track my car. I probably wouldn't be comfortable tracking the car with oil life at less than 30%. Most here actually won't track their car with an oil life below 50%.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:53 PM   #33
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
5 12-packs of IPA.

My personal bias is that it is far riskier to trust someone else to change my oil than it is to trust GM's oil life algorithm. Also, if you check out the many threads (throughout the internet) on this topic you will find that most UOA tests support the validity of the oil life monitors.
I would trust it based on engine load/mileage but now that it is essentially on a timer, GM can **** off.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:56 PM   #34
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
not saying they dont ignore lights/noises/signs, just that it's not some sudden thing.

it's weeks if not months of neglect before the engine is dead. If it ever dies from oil issues rather than before some other catastrophic thing happens to the car since people who make those kinds of decisions are likely making poor ones all over the place like not watching for other cars in traffic ..etc.
Ok maybe I misunderstood a bit. You are correct it’s months and often years of neglect. I see a lot of things that make me shake my head in the job I do. I apologize. Cheers my friend
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:20 PM   #35
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
I would trust it based on engine load/mileage but now that it is essentially on a timer, GM can **** off.
Other than for warranty sake I agree.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:17 PM   #36
Fak_Ork

Drives: Silverado RST 21, 3.0, Crew, Z71
Quote:
Real "Engineers" drive trains. The other kind of Engineer is like a lawyer, they practice and often fail to do their job.
Those 'Real' engineers can't even stay awake standing up without a special button. Everyone is human
Fak_Ork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:40 PM   #37
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Quote:
Real "Engineers" drive trains. The other kind of Engineer is like a lawyer, they practice and often fail to do their job.
While I’ve experienced exactly what I think you’ve said here, I feel honour bound to object. I have several engineers in my employ. All well trained pros, proud of the jobs they do. Not all fall into the “copy and paste” stigma.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:08 PM   #38
396ssrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupilbone View Post
While I’ve experienced exactly what I think you’ve said here, I feel honour bound to object. I have several engineers in my employ. All well trained pros, proud of the jobs they do. Not all fall into the “copy and paste” stigma.
The one's who designed the 8 speed automatic fall under the copy and paste category. The one's who designed AFM also fall into that category as do the one's who designed the window regulators in my Silverado AND the dash panels. No doubt there are plenty more under the same umbrella.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:35 PM   #39
Nobody

Drives: Silverado
This topic was tested on Project Farm (albeit in a diesel). Here's the link.
https://youtu.be/T-yt5a1cWd4
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:50 AM   #40
396ssrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
This topic was tested on Project Farm (albeit in a diesel). Here's the link.
https://youtu.be/T-yt5a1cWd4
No surprise whatsoever.