Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-28-2020, 12:30 PM   #1
GM Lifer

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS in Red Hot
"Service Front Suspension" Message

My car was rear-ended the first week of March and spent several weeks just as you see it here--up on a lift, rear bumper off. (The holdup was getting a new OEM exhaust.) I'm finally due to pick it up later today, but the guy at the body shop just emailed and said, "I got the post scan done. On your message board on your dash, it says it needs some service to the front suspension."

There was nothing wrong with the front suspension, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't damaged in the accident. Why the message? Could it be that sitting on the lift so long with the wheels hanging made it throw a code?
Attached Images

GM Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:52 PM   #2
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
That would be my guess! I bet when it's back down on the ground and levels through the MRC, everything will be fine.
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:54 PM   #3
GM Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb54 View Post
That would be my guess! I bet when it's back down on the ground and levels through the MRC, everything will be fine.
Hope so!
Old 04-29-2020, 12:25 PM   #4
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Lifer View Post
There was nothing wrong with the front suspension, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't damaged in the accident. Why the message? Could it be that sitting on the lift so long with the wheels hanging made it throw a code?
Maybe, although I've never personally heard of such an issue. First thing I'd do to check would be put the car back on the ground, unhook the battery for 10 minutes, the hook it back up and go for a drive. If the code doesn't go away or comes back, check underneath the trunk liner to see if the suspension controller got messed up at all (like connector falling off or something). Lastly, check all 4 corners of the car to make sure everything plugged in and not obviously damaged (4 dampers and 4 height sensors total).

If none of that works, will likely need to take it to a dealer or shop that has the ability to read the code in the suspension module (normal check engine light code reader can't do it) to diagnose the issue.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #5
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Check the sensors.

I had mine towed last week and the tow truck driver damaged the front sensor.

If there are any sensors or plugs not fully connected, it will throw an error.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:46 PM   #6
mikem2104

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE, 20 Canyon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Check the sensors.

This, last year had to tow mine after i broke a half shaft, tow driver hooked passenger front sensor and broke it. Cheap and easy part.

Current Garage:
18' 2SS 1LE, Hyper Blue
23' GMC Canyon Denali
Previously:
20' GMC Canyon Denali
16' 2SS 6MT, Hyper Blue, Kalahari, 20" PVW Chrome Split wheels, NPP, MRC (Total Loss)
14' Ford Edge Sport
06' Saab 9-7x,13' Nissan 370z Sport, 12' VW Jetta GLI, 02' Olds Bravada
mikem2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:13 PM   #7
GM Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Check the sensors.

Turns out this is exactly what happened. I brought the car home, then it occurred to me to look under the front end. Stupid tow truck driver had scraped up the underside of the bumper, so back to the body shop. My guy there got down on the ground to survey this unnoticed damage, and in the process discovered BOTH broken-off sensors just dangling there.

Learned this morning that the bumper's been painted and will be reinstalled tomorrow, but GM can't get us the sensors until May 20.

So, my dilemma: Leave the car at the shop until the sensors come, or drive it as-is and go back once the sensors arrive. Is it advisable to drive it? I've been working from home the last several weeks, borrowing my wife's car as necessary. But I hear my office may reopen next week. I could get a rental, I suppose.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:13 PM   #8
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Lifer View Post
Turns out this is exactly what happened. I brought the car home, then it occurred to me to look under the front end. Stupid tow truck driver had scraped up the underside of the bumper, so back to the body shop. My guy there got down on the ground to survey this unnoticed damage, and in the process discovered BOTH broken-off sensors just dangling there.

Learned this morning that the bumper's been painted and will be reinstalled tomorrow, but GM can't get us the sensors until May 20.

So, my dilemma: Leave the car at the shop until the sensors come, or drive it as-is and go back once the sensors arrive. Is it advisable to drive it? I've been working from home the last several weeks, borrowing my wife's car as necessary. But I hear my office may reopen next week. I could get a rental, I suppose.
Shouldn't hurt anything to drive like that. Might feel a bit more under-damped since I doubt the controller will give you any damper control in that state but other than that you shouldn't be able to damage anything from normal driving.