Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - Mid-Atlantic

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-17-2021, 05:08 PM   #1
DarkKnyte

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
MD Chevy Dealer Body Shop recommendations

I'm looking for anyone that has experience with a chevy/gm dealer bodyshop. I need to goto a dealer specifically to get a gouge repaired that was done by an out of state dealer mechanic. I'm having a hard time sorting out reviews related to sales and mechanical service from body work specifically, so if anyone has a personal recommendation I'd appreciate hearing about it.
DarkKnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 10:27 AM   #2
DarkKnyte

I decided to go with Criswell in Gaithersburg. Their massive 2.5 star service rating is truly inspiring. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Side note, they had something like 17 different C8's on the lot.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:07 PM   #3
mikec3104

Drives: 2020 LT1
Interested in your impressions. Looking for a place for just general service.
mikec3104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 08:14 PM   #4
Dark Phoenix

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS Redline
2.5 rating says a lot. I have never been impressed with Criswell on the sales end as they seemed to be poor at best don’t know about service. Service ratings & reviews you have to weed through to see who had honest reviews and others who were composing just to complain about something.
Dark Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 03:37 PM   #5
DarkKnyte

To Follow up, the job went way past the estimated date. They had it for something like 2 weeks to fix a small fender scratch. The staff kinda jerked me around a little bit, giving me bullshit about having the wrong emblem. I paid for On-Star to track the car (because some years ago I had a body shop joy ride in my Jeep, then actually reset the odometer 100 miles less than when I dropped it off, in addition to resetting all the trip meters, different gas level). I could see what days they worked on the car because it would move around in the parking lot. So, when it wasn't moved, I know they were full of shit. I left them with basically no gas, on purpose, because just moving it between the shop and parking lot shouldn't take much, but they did put gas in it anyway.

Ultimately, the paint work was great. No color difference, but it was actually more polished than the rest of the car, and you could see the difference between the factory buff job and the body shop work in the right sunlight. No complaints about that part.

The real issue for me though was the car wasn't cleaned at all after they polished. There was buffing compound in every ****ing crevice from the hood, to the door, to the bumper, literally every crevice around the fender. None of it was cleaned off. There were even marks of something white on the roof of the car, like they set a tool down or something. I flipped my lid about that, the rep grabbed some spray cleaner and a rag and worked whatever it was off.

Took me a really long time to clean the buffing compound up, and I think I'm still finding some even many hand washes later. I'm not sure I would use them again, but at least I know they didn't take my car out. Honestly hate giving my vehicles out to anyone to be worked on.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:05 PM   #6
Casper the friendly G
Account Suspended

Drives: 17' Chevy Kamaro SS 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnyte View Post
I'm looking for anyone that has experience with a chevy/gm dealer bodyshop. I need to goto a dealer specifically to get a gouge repaired that was done by an out of state dealer mechanic. I'm having a hard time sorting out reviews related to sales and mechanical service from body work specifically, so if anyone has a personal recommendation I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Criswell in Gaithersburg is my go to for Sched. Maint. Very good service so far.
Casper the friendly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 08:14 AM   #7
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Not quite MD, but Koons body shop in Tysons/Vienna hasn't done me wrong. they even fixed the curb rash on both wheels (I know) despite me pointing it out as not part of the covered accident.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:54 AM   #8
NashZL1

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
Koons did a repair on the tailgate of my daughter's Tahoe. Instead of replacing the pigtail that connected the wiring from the vehicle to the tailgate, (the seal to the body was damaged when they removed it), they tried to silicone it back into the vehicle, and water subsequently ruined the headliner. It was not even close to being sealed properly.

They did make it right.
2020 Genesis G90 Ultimate
2019 Mercedes-Benz SL450
2017 Corvette Grand Sport A8
2016 Hyundai Equus Ultimate
1971 Datsun 240Z
NashZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:21 AM   #9
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashZL1 View Post
Koons did a repair on the tailgate of my daughter's Tahoe. Instead of replacing the pigtail that connected the wiring from the vehicle to the tailgate, (the seal to the body was damaged when they removed it), they tried to silicone it back into the vehicle, and water subsequently ruined the headliner. It was not even close to being sealed properly.

They did make it right.
I always cautiously recommend them. I've had great experiences, but I know Koons doesn't have the best reputation.