Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-25-2016, 10:22 PM   #15
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
I'm sure part of the reason for the limit on the 2017 has to do with the cold temps from here until next spring, especially in Canada, and the fact the cars only come with the summer only tires. I even read somewhere that GM wouldn't deliver cars anywhere when the temp was below freezing due to the tires. Not sure when they will start releasing the 2018, but hopefully there will be no limits for anyone at that time.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:33 PM   #16
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17CamaroZL1 View Post
I'm sure part of the reason for the limit on the 2017 has to do with the cold temps from here until next spring, especially in Canada, and the fact the cars only come with the summer only tires. I even read somewhere that GM wouldn't deliver cars anywhere when the temp was below freezing due to the tires. Not sure when they will start releasing the 2018, but hopefully there will be no limits for anyone at that time.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:51 PM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan1LTRS View Post
What?? Sell as many as you can right?? I don't understand GM's thinking here. I'm sure I'm over looking some obvious reason.
Not that simple. ZL1s start at $69,200 here. In US dollars, that works out to a bit over $51k. So every ZL1 sold up here is going to bring in a lot less money for GM than if that car was sold in the states.

Now, with an unlimited supply of cars thats not an issue. But production of any car is limited, even if there isn't an artificial cap put on it by the manufacturer. There is always 1 part that can't be produced in numbers greater than X per week or per month. And even if you can bump up production of that part, there is going to be another one with a slightly higher limit. So, there is a practical limit to the number of ZL1s that can get built in a month. If that number is say 500 cars, that means that from now until the 2018 model change over there would be a maximum of less than 4000 ZL1s built in this model year. Demand for the ZL1 in the United States could exceed that. So, in order to maximize profitability it makes sense to limit the sale of cars in low profit markets (like Canada).

On the other hand, if GM were capable of building something like 1000 or 1500 ZL1s per month; or if there is a similar restriction in place for the 2018 then this argument can get tossed out the window.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:21 PM   #18
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Not that simple. ZL1s start at $69,200 here. In US dollars, that works out to a bit over $51k. So every ZL1 sold up here is going to bring in a lot less money for GM than if that car was sold in the states.

Now, with an unlimited supply of cars thats not an issue. But production of any car is limited, even if there isn't an artificial cap put on it by the manufacturer. There is always 1 part that can't be produced in numbers greater than X per week or per month. And even if you can bump up production of that part, there is going to be another one with a slightly higher limit. So, there is a practical limit to the number of ZL1s that can get built in a month. If that number is say 500 cars, that means that from now until the 2018 model change over there would be a maximum of less than 4000 ZL1s built in this model year. Demand for the ZL1 in the United States could exceed that. So, in order to maximize profitability it makes sense to limit the sale of cars in low profit markets (like Canada).

On the other hand, if GM were capable of building something like 1000 or 1500 ZL1s per month; or if there is a similar restriction in place for the 2018 then this argument can get tossed out the window.
OK, I get that.
Old 11-26-2016, 01:21 AM   #19
Boilermaker128

Drives: 2010 CobaltSSTC
My dealer didn't make the cut or hasn't let me know yet.
Lets hope it's the latter lol.
If I don't make it I might go with a cheaper more responsible 30mpg awd turbo car instead.
Boilermaker128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:45 AM   #20
NB2017ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 10 Speed Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

You Sir, win the prize. This is exactly why we don't get our share of vehicles up here on lower production models. A la Z06 and ZL1...

The exchange is almost 30% now and if anyone takes the time to build one on the GM.com vs .ca site you will see on average model about a 12%.

So basically in a nutshell GM loses 18% profit potential due to exchange rate market adjustments vs selling the same vehicle in the US.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:31 AM   #21
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NB2017ZL1 View Post
You Sir, win the prize. This is exactly why we don't get our share of vehicles up here on lower production models. A la Z06 and ZL1...

The exchange is almost 30% now and if anyone takes the time to build one on the GM.com vs .ca site you will see on average model about a 12%.

So basically in a nutshell GM loses 18% profit potential due to exchange rate market adjustments vs selling the same vehicle in the US.
DGthe3 is smart like that...
Old 11-26-2016, 07:43 AM   #22
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
I don't think they are worried about making a few grand less on a couple dozen cars.
They just don't give a crap about us.
I Bet Dubai will get more than 50 ZL1s......

Time to hit AL O's FB page and complain

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:43 AM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
I don't think they are worried about making a few grand less on a couple dozen cars.
I Bet Dubai will get more than 50 ZL1s......

Time to hit AL O's FB page and complain
GM is probably more concerned about the ~200 extra ZL1s that they could sell here as 2017s than the 50 they are selling. $11,000 x 200 cars = $2.2 million in lost potential revenue. If they sell the cars here, they don't get that money. Sell them in the states, they do. Its not the hardest product allocation decision to make, especially when there is no negative consequence. Because no matter what they do, there will be 200ish annoyed customers. One difference is whether they're American or Canadian.

And lets not forget that just a few years ago the situation was reversed. The dollar was roughly at parity, sometimes a little above, sometimes a little below & our prices were higher than in the US. So 4 years ago, a ZL1 sold in Canada would have raked in thousands extra for GM than if it had been sold in the US.

But now things are back to the old normal. Our dollar is in the 70's, Americans are coming back to Niagara Falls for gambling and strippers (and maybe the Butterfly Conservatory too), malls are once again dotted with American license plates, and we're getting treated as a second tier market for major products. You win some, you lose some.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:57 PM   #24
Boilermaker128

Extremely disapointed. Ive been on this hype train for so long now. Money is ready and my dealer doesnt have enough pull to get one(small town). Embarrassing GM has done this to there loyal Canadian fans. I'm not interested in any other GM vehicle and I can't wait a year to maybe be alowed to get a 2018 ZL1. I was sure general attitude was that this car would be easily available, complete opposite.

I need a new car next spring, my DD will be hitting 300k. Now I am forced to look at competitors. A slightly used 2013+ gtr maybe hmmm
Old 11-26-2016, 06:03 PM   #25
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
If you've met them...then you would know that's not in the least bit true.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:24 PM   #26
Boilermaker128

They should've gave us more then 50, they should've filled EVERY pre order. Heck there are cars sitting on dealer lots in the US while people beg for them here. Money is the reason, and if they did care that much they'd sacrifice the 200k in lost revenue but once again it's the bean counters call. Once trumps wall goes up it will be even harder to get a zl1.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:08 PM   #27
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker128 View Post
They should've filled EVERY pre order.
Impossible due to allocation systems and franchise laws, unfortunately...

Though I don't know how franchise laws translate across the border...
Old 11-27-2016, 02:46 PM   #28
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Dodge did the same thing with the Hellcat. 100s if not 1000s had cars ordered but couldn't get them while dealers all over had them sitting on their lots, usually with big markups. I think a lot of it comes down to advertisement. The majority of car buyers in the world don't surf the Web and read forums to find out what's out there. They go to the car lots to look around, so the more cars on the lot, the more potential to sale them. These higher end cars sitting on the lots also draw more people in as they drive by and see something that catches their eye. Even if they don't buy that car, because they can't afford it or just don't want to, they may buy a cheaper version.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote