Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-03-2022, 08:50 PM   #15
Z Boss
Camaro Addiction

Drives: 68SS81Z2887IROC97Z28SS,12ZL1,22ZLE
I'm also a satisfied Hennessey customer. I scheduled an upgrade package for my ZL1 in advance, trailered my car from LA to Sealy, TX (to save package sales tax) and picked up my car in 7 days. They let me leave my trailer at their facility. My ZL1 was detailed then dyno'ed upon my arrival. I took a test drive on their tracks with a tech, loaded the car up and returned home with no issues. The staff there was technically competent and customer focused and their coordination and efforts with me as a customer was adequate given their build schedule. I was given the appropriate documentation and a 3 year, 36K mile warranty. I felt like the investment here was a decent value and again, I have had no issues with the quality of their work. I am considering their Exorcist package for my upcoming 2022 ZLE at this time. I visited other shops and liked the professionalism of Hennessey. The ZL1 is a blast to drive!
2012 Camaro ZL1 VIN #0004
ZL1, Ashen Grey, Black Leather, 6 speed, suede, exposed carbon fiber weave, gray stripe
Current Status: Cruisin' !!
3800 Produced: 1/27/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer: 4/27/2012
Z Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:46 PM   #16
Brudda*Termite

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
It'll be fun to see it, me and the wifey will be at the auction this Friday for an extended walk...wishing I had big dollars to buy some cars!
Old 01-04-2022, 08:20 AM   #17
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
They built a pretty solid reputation in the 90s and 00s for being really shady with the Viper community and rightly so, have not been able to shake it even 20 years later because of the common sentiment, once a cheater always a cheater.

Now that doesn't mean you can't bang em once in a while for fun just don't expect a relationship to be healthy. As long as you're ok paying 20k for a tune, pulley, intake, and intercooler you should remain happy.

It's not hard to install some basic bolt ons and tune the car these days, there is no black magic here. The money's in the marketing. "I like their videos" sells packages all day long and goes far in sweeping the past under the rug.

This is just how it is with everything in life.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:23 AM   #18
Fast4wd

Drives: 2022 ZLE
The Hennessey rumor mill is vicious, no question. I do know someone that had their Navigator receive Hennessey treatment with no issues. Car was shipped from and back to NY in a normal time frame.

Where does the truth lie? I don't know, but as usual it's probably somewhere in the middle.
Fast4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:37 AM   #19
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
I'm sure Hennessey has turned their reputation around. They are a very large shop these days with no shortage of customers. It seems that those that remember the days when there were some shady business practices just won't let it go.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:50 AM   #20
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
I'm sure Hennessey has turned their reputation around. They are a very large shop these days with no shortage of customers. It seems that those that remember the days when there were some shady business practices just won't let it go.
I have no horse in this race, so objectively speaking it's kind of disingenious to ask people to just "let go" of what was done to them because some time has passed and the company apparently "turned their reputation around", as you say.

There is a reason why judicial systems exist; if the shop did nothing wrong, this needs to be publicly established, if they did, their victims need to be compensated for their losses, period. Of course, holding on to grudges forever isn't a solution, but then building a business on the backs of screwed over customers, then "cleaning up one's act" is not exactly something to easily "let go" of either (hypothetically speaking).

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 11:12 AM   #21
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
I have no horse in this race, so objectively speaking it's kind of disingenious to ask people to just "let go" of what was done to them because some time has passed and the company apparently "turned their reputation around", as you say.

There is a reason why judicial systems exist; if the shop did nothing wrong, this needs to be publicly established, if they did, their victims need to be compensated for their losses, period. Of course, holding on to grudges forever isn't a solution, but then building a business on the backs of screwed over customers, then "cleaning up one's act" is not exactly something to easily "let go" of either (hypothetically speaking).
I'm not following you, if the shop is no longer doing shady business practices, under new management or whatever changes were needed to make the shop a first class shop, then there's no need to keep penalizing them forever. What is Hennessey to do, create a new shop with an alias name and hope that no one finds out so that he can continue to run a successful business? At some point, the past has to be the past. If the shop was still doing shady business practices, I would certainly understand people from the past penalizing them for it but those days are LONG gone.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:08 PM   #22
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
I'm not following you, if the shop is no longer doing shady business practices, under new management or whatever changes were needed to make the shop a first class shop, then there's no need to keep penalizing them forever. What is Hennessey to do, create a new shop with an alias name and hope that no one finds out so that he can continue to run a successful business? At some point, the past has to be the past. If the shop was still doing shady business practices, I would certainly understand people from the past penalizing them for it but those days are LONG gone.
Look, I am not a lawyer, just saying if they were ever implicated and found guilty, they need to make it right, then declare they parted ways with whichever employees or whatever practices caused it, and are making sure not to repeat the failure. This is step 1 for reestablishing trust with the public, and I may well be unaware, but I see no evidence this ever happened. Present financial success does not absolve someone from lack of integrity in the past.

Alternatively, if all these complaining customers were just a bunch of karens suing Hennessey for no reason, I as a business owner would still highlight the outcomes, just to dispel any doubt (and encourage even more future business).

After all, let's say for example I wanted an Exorcist now, how do I know I won't be the next guy whose new ZL1 will end up as parts supply for future or more lucrative builds in this day and age of shortages? Again, if this never happened, my whole post is moot, but IMO there is too much noise for all those complaints to be completely made up.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 12:28 PM   #23
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Look, I am not a lawyer, just saying if they were ever implicated and found guilty, they need to make it right, then declare they parted ways with whichever employees or whatever practices caused it, and are making sure not to repeat the failure. This is step 1 for reestablishing trust with the public, and I may well be unaware, but I see no evidence this ever happened. Present financial success does not absolve someone from lack of integrity in the past.

Alternatively, if all these complaining customers were just a bunch of karens suing Hennessey for no reason, I as a business owner would still highlight the outcomes, just to dispel any doubt (and encourage even more future business).

After all, let's say for example I wanted an Exorcist now, how do I know I won't be the next guy whose new ZL1 will end up as parts supply for future or more lucrative builds in this day and age of shortages? Again, if this never happened, my whole post is moot, but IMO there is too much noise for all those complaints to be completely made up.
I have been around performance cars since all this happened with Hennessey, I didn't have a Viper and I wasn't a customer of theirs that got screwed but I certainly heard all about it when it was happening to those people. I suppose if I were one of those people, I would still be upset but there are far too many people still bashing this shop based on what happened 20-25 years ago that happened to other people and didn't even effect them personally. This shop is clearly not the same shop it was 20-25 years ago otherwise they wouldn't be in business. I understand John is still the owner but clearly they have changed many things to turn this shop around and they work hard to provide a first rate experience for their customers and that's hard to find in most performance shops. Ultimately, what I'm saying is, I have no reason to bad mouth this shop since they never wronged me, and they clearly turned this shop around and worked hard to earn a good reputation. Whatever is in the past is between those customers and his lawyer if any of that still remains unresolved. My guess is that all has been made right by now. If you had asked me 10 years ago if I would be hesitant about sending my car there, I might have told you yes. But its been a VERY long time since those incidences and there have been no wrongdoing since then. Other than the price for what they do, I would have no issue having them build one of my cars.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:56 PM   #24
gra359

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1, 1970 BOSS 302
Hennessey Exorcist - Hammered at $135,000, at Mecum Auctions in Florida.
gra359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:27 PM   #25
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I am the only Hennessey customer here. So, I have firsthand knowledge of how they do things, now. Everyone else relies on hearsay and rumors.

I doubt any other shop does 550 cars or anything close to that.
Are you expecting us to be surprised there are tons of suckers out there?
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:32 PM   #26
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Mecum listing actually includes this: "Upgraded wheel valve caps"

The nice light aluminum ones are about $5 for a set of 4 on Amazon.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:47 PM   #27
Z Boss
Camaro Addiction

Drives: 68SS81Z2887IROC97Z28SS,12ZL1,22ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gra359 View Post
Hennessey Exorcist - Hammered at $135,000, at Mecum Auctions in Florida.
I will say that the Exorcist is one of THE baddest cars I've ever had the opportunity to ride in. Smooth, powerful, reliable and if you are a real Camaro enthusiast, this is really the ultimate Camaro...with a warranty btw. We should all strive to own one of these beasts!! And yes I know it's expensive. As a life long Camaro guy, I'm glad to see the Exorcist be able to spank just about every other supercar out there for half the $$. This at $125K is still a performance deal.
2012 Camaro ZL1 VIN #0004
ZL1, Ashen Grey, Black Leather, 6 speed, suede, exposed carbon fiber weave, gray stripe
Current Status: Cruisin' !!
3800 Produced: 1/27/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer: 4/27/2012
Z Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:54 PM   #28
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
To be fair John Hennessy has admitted to shorting people years ago in a article a few years back, robbing Peter to pay Paul/ or taking Peter $ to build Paul car. If I was going to use a shop and I will in a few years, the shop would haft to be a top 3 , Do other guys here recommend? Has anyone been screwed over ? And does the shop win mile events? Or drag strips top dogs runs. If the shop someone recommends cannot beat other big shop occasionally ? Then there not for me. Bring me your car and your bicycle and I can make the bicycle beat it if they pay me double !
Just saying !
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote