Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Phastek Performance

Old 02-08-2020, 12:08 PM   #1
19 2SS

Drives: 2019 camaro 2ss
Is a tune worth getting? first mods?

I bought a 2019 2SS 10 speed last week, just looking to improve performance. Is there anything I should invest in before I get a tune?
19 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:00 PM   #2
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Welcome to the forum!

Do you want to stay with bolt-ons or do you plan on cam and/or FI?

If you’re not concerned about warranty, here are my thoughts. Since you’re in PA I’d suspect E85 is readily available. The best bang for the buck upgrade wold be to get an E85 kit. The gains are good and FWIW, I’m almost at the one year mark and have enjoyed running the corn. I’d also suggest the ported IM/TB combo and CAI. LT’s if you desire.

So here’s the big question and that is are you a DIY person? If you are going to install the parts yourself, get everything you can afford before the tune.

Are you going to tune it or pay someone? If you’re going to do it, get. WB and HP Tuners. If you’re not, work with your tuner and patronize the business and have them work with you to get a good price.

Work with a tuner that knows this platform.

Are your goals to have a DD or are you going to track the car?

You’ll have to decide the best path in order to get the right combination the first time.

Just my opinion. There are plenty of knowledgeable people here.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:12 PM   #3
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 2SS View Post
I bought a 2019 2SS 10 speed last week, just looking to improve performance. Is there anything I should invest in before I get a tune?
305s

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:42 AM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
If you want to keep warranty on the car then I wouldn’t do any mods but if it doesn’t matter to you then that’s your call. CAI, exhaust/headers and tune are some mods you can do without tearing into the engine!
Old 02-09-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
I was waiting until the warranty ran out on my car, and then I was going to do mods and a tune. But then at 56,000 I had a spun camshaft bearing and I got a complete new engine under warranty. GM also warrantied the new engine for 75,000 miles so now I have warranty to 131,000 miles. There will be no modding this car. Maybe I buy another used car later to mod when this one is paid off.

I can't wrap my head around how people are willing to give up that type of warranty security. Unless you just have so much money coming in that as soon as you spend it, it gets replenished in the bank account!
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:56 AM   #6
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
I can't wrap my head around how people are willing to give up that type of warranty security. Unless you just have so much money coming in that as soon as you spend it, it gets replenished in the bank account!
This. Completely agree!
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:35 PM   #7
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 2SS View Post
If your question is would tune, without any other modification be worth it, then I would have to say no.

My honest suggestion, as others have said too, is to drive the car for year bone stock. Two thing will happen if you do this, first and foremost, if there are any defects with the car, they should come to light within that timeframe. Tune it now, and you kiss the powertrain warranty goodbye. What is it about $10K for a replacement LT1?

The other thing that will happen is that you will really get to know the car. You figure out what it does really well for you, and what you want it to do better. In these advanced modern cars, systems have to work together, be engineered to work together. Hodge podge modding will cost you either money and/or performance in the long run.

And remember, it is still true today as it has always been when it comes to hot rodding cars:

A) Cheap
B) Fast
C) Reliable

Pick any two.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:15 PM   #8
Stefano

Drives: 6th Gen NicKey Camaro & others.
Tunes on 6th gens with Automatic transmissions cost more than tunes on 5th gens and can be costly, just to put it in perspective. The front fascia will need to be removed if you want your transmission tuned as well, so that the TCM can be unlocked. If you can get by the “void’ your warranty issue. We advise customers that a tune is a much better bang for the buck once you start modifications.
Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:32 AM   #9
19 2SS

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'm thinking maybe just an axle back exhaust to atleast make the car sound better will satisfy me for now. Also just noticed a problem with the driver side fender not lining up with my door correctly, apparently a lot of people are experiencing this problem, very frustrating..
Old 02-10-2020, 12:00 PM   #10
LT4Greg

19 2SS, the door alignment maybe due to it being lifted wrong! Usually it affects both sides-left and right though. The fenders will be pushed out slightly at the bottom if it was put on a lift and raised wrong.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #11
19 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
19 2SS, the door alignment maybe due to it being lifted wrong! Usually it affects both sides-left and right though. The fenders will be pushed out slightly at the bottom if it was put on a lift and raised wrong.
yeah thats what I was thinking since theres no noticeable frame damage from the outside, and its only the driver side..
Old 02-10-2020, 12:16 PM   #12
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
intake exhaust headers then tune unless you just gonna throw bolt ons and no tune up to you!
Old 02-10-2020, 03:23 PM   #13
LT4Greg

19 2SS, do you have the optional NPP exhaust on your SS? If you do then I wouldn’t change it! Just do a fuse pull(fuse 51)to leave the valves open all the time!��
Old 02-10-2020, 05:49 PM   #14
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
First mod that should be done is tires. When I was NA and light bolt-ons, I picked up the biggest gains when I ditched the run flats. 305-30-20 of your choice. I run a Nitto 555r but they are not for everybody.

A10 tuning support isn't that great. Not sure I would mess with it until you go further with mods. ECU tune is worth about 9whp on a stock car...not really worth the cost unless you go flex fuel.

Mods that don't require tuning:

Rotofab dry
Ported intake manifold and throttle body.

Imho I would start with tires, rotofab, ported IM/TB and enjoy the car for a bit. Then worry about tuning if you decide to go further down the rabbit hole(Headers/Flex Fuel).
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote