Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-10-2020, 06:28 AM   #15
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
Joe is Correct...coatings are alot easier to DIY now.
My car was fully corrected, has PPF, and I added Kamikaze Ceramic, etc.
I also do correction and detail family and friends vehicles...I have used Gtechniq, Kamikaze, and Carpro Ceramic and toppers.
I really like the Jax Wax line of Ceramics for their cost, ease, and durability.
Ceramics now are easy as wipe on a panel (cross-hatch), let haze, wipe off, then final wipe off, and after car is done let it sit overnight and cure. Then add topper, and you're good to go! Wash and detail as necessary. About every 6 months I add a topper again to protect the Ceramic.
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:02 AM   #16
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Catching up on this thread...

Couple key points. ACS isn't in the same class as professionally applied ceramic coatings. I'm not a fan Ceramic Pro's warranty requiring a ~$200 annual maintenance to keep a multi-year warranty. On the other hand you get a clean car at least once a year

Something like Gtechniq EXO can be done DIY and lasts a couple years, for the same prep work and the same up front $$$ as a bottle of Adams.

I got 8 months use from Adams Ceramic Spray on my garaged Genesis daily driver. The side-by-side comparison test vs. Reload mega thread with pics and vids is here:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549026

So if you're a seasonal driver, DIY with ACS may be a good way a to go. But if you're going to spend the time to prep for a DIY a coating, go with something like EXO that lasts for years vs. months.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:05 AM   #17
Jeffadd

Drives: 2019 camaro
i had a car done with igl kenzo and paid a hefty price for it... the car looks amazing though.

But when i bought my 1le last yr i decided to look into options that i could manage. I am versed in paint correction and only made sense to find a solution i could manage.

I looked into cquarts, and some others and didn't feel it was worth the cost for the duration they offered. I could get as good and long with zaino bro's products.

But then a guy at a show turned me onto McKee's 37 ceramic paint protection line. I use McKee's for some other things and they are solid brand with great products. So i figured i would try it.

I bought the whole kit for 180.00 which to me is not bad since the volume of product you huge vs other brands and professional services.

https://www.mckees37.com/mkcs-100-kit.html

I love the beading power, its only been on the car now 8 months, and it just rolls off the car. The car is white so its hard to see if the 9h harness is really protecting the paint, but dirt and brake dust just rinse away with no touch.

look the products up and decide for yourself, but it was pretty easy to do all the work in a weekend. Key is to not miss spots, make sure you overlap!

Last edited by Jeffadd; 02-19-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Jeffadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:55 PM   #18
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
So, as you saw up thread, I had my new 2SS professionally ceramic coated (after I bought all the Adam's Paint Correction and Ceramic Coating stuff) so yesterday my wife and I spent about 8 hours washing, claying, compounding and polishing her 2016 Hyundai Sonata (metallic red) and today we applied the Ceramic Coating (Adam's). I am extremely happy with how good the car looks (and looked even before this mornings ceramic coating). The paint correction and detailing brought the nearly 4 year old car "back to life", it looks fantastic!

The Adam's Ceramic was easy to apply and remove, I did catch one spot that my wife missed wiping off and had to re-apply some more coating to get rid of the blotch, I kinda freaked out because it took more effort than I thought to get rid of the spot, but a couple apply and wipes and I was finally able to get rid of it. Going to let it cure 24 hours and then apply the Ceramic Boost as a top coat...

I've never done the full paint correction and ceramic on a car, but extremely happy with the results!

Here is a picture of the hood completed, look at the reflection of the garage door opener! (My 2SS is covered to the left)

(Disclaimer: I grew up working in my Dad's Body Shop, I did plenty of buffing with the old rotary buffers and some heavy duty compound, I burned through my fair share of clearcoats! It has been 30 years since I've done anything this involved with paint, but after seeing the results, a couple of my other family cars are going to get this treatment!)
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...

Last edited by 2SS Capt; 02-19-2020 at 10:37 PM.
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:45 PM   #19
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
I used Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic wax works friggen awesome, last like 4 months and is 14.99 and some elbow grease.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:02 PM   #20
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
So, as you saw up thread, I had my new 2SS professionally ceramic coated (after I bought all the Adam's Paint Correction and Ceramic Coating stuff) so yesterday my wife and I spent about 8 hours washing, claying, compounding and polishing her 2016 Hyundai Sonata (metallic red) and today we applied the Ceramic Coating (Adam's). I am extremely happy with how good the car looks (and looked even before this mornings ceramic coating). The paint correction and detailing brought the nearly 4 year old car "back to life", it looks fantastic!

The Adam's Ceramic was easy to apply and remove, I did catch one spot that my wife missed wiping off and had to re-apply some more coating to get rid of the blotch, I kinda freaked out because it took more effort than I thought to get rid of the spot, but a couple apply and wipes and I was finally able to get rid of it. Going to let it cure 24 hours and then apply the Ceramic Boost as a top coat...

I've never done the full paint correction and ceramic on a car, but extremely happy with the results!

Here is a picture of the hood completed, look at the reflection of the garage door opener! (My 2SS is covered to the left)

(Disclaimer: I grew up working in my Dad's Body Shop, I did plenty of buffing with the old rotary buffers and some heavy duty compound, I burned through my fair share of clearcoats! It has been 30 years since I've done anything this involved with paint, but after seeing the results, a couple of my other family cars are going to get this treatment!)
That looks awesome! Good job!
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 02:57 PM   #21
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '22 Challenger GT
The price for Ceramic Pro is reasonable.

They do a full paint decontamination and correction before they apply the ceramic coat. In english... that's acid bath, clay bar, touch up, polish, and then ceramic coat.

Just an FYI... Garage Time Auto Restoration(who did my Krytpton Green 2SS in Tulsa) told me, "Anyone who says they can do a full paint correction and ceramic coat on a vehicle in less than 2 days, run! Do not take your vehicle there. It's a bare minimum 2 day process to be done correctly. We spend between 2 to 4 days on each vehicle."

Last edited by Hulkamaniac; 04-19-2020 at 03:11 PM.
Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:30 PM   #22
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulkamaniac View Post
The price for Ceramic Pro is reasonable.

They do a full paint decontamination and correction before they apply the ceramic coat. In english... that's acid bath, clay bar, touch up, polish, and then ceramic coat.

Just an FYI... Garage Time Auto Restoration(who did my Krytpton Green 2SS in Tulsa) told me, "Anyone who says they can do a full paint correction and ceramic coat on a vehicle in less than 2 days, run! Do not take your vehicle there. It's a bare minimum 2 day process to be done correctly. We spend between 2 to 4 days on each vehicle."
From OP's post it seems that the paint prep had already been done and that price only included the application of Ceramic Pro.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:22 PM   #23
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
I had the clay, polish and Ceramic Pro professionally done for $660... However, since then I have personally done the FULL process on 3 of my other family cars (Wash, clay, paint correction, polish, ceramic coat (9h) and Ceramic Boost top coat)... Took a full 2 days per car (and that was with help from either my wife or my daughter... Well worth the effort as the family cars all look great! (a 2012, a 2016 & a 2019)... I agree, it is a FULL 2 day process...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote