Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 01-20-2020, 07:15 PM   #1
Crushed 1LE

Drives: 2022 ZL1(FEA suspension) Rapid Blue
Winter Storage

Has anyone read any articles or have any thoughts about periodic engine start-up during storage? Is it better to just let her sit, or start her every couple of weeks? Perhaps starting her, idling for 5 minutes and not letting moisture burn off due to oil temperature not getting to peak levels is worse than just letting it sleep.

Personally, l love starting her and enjoying the cold start, but Im starting to wonder if there is any documented science out there that points in the opposite direction.

One note: I am not in sub zero climate - cold but not freezing.
Crushed 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:23 PM   #2
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
I stored my Viper GTS every winter for 12 years. I always cleaned and covered it and hooked it up to a battery tender while sitting. Change the oil either just before storing for the winter or just after bringing it out in the spring.

I occasionally uncovered the car and took it for mid winter drive (when the roads were clear and temp was decent). As long as you get the engine up to operating temp before you put back away i think you will be fine.

I never had an issue with any type of damage or ill effect following this model. I am doing the same with the ZL1.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:48 PM   #3
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
Unless you're planning on driving it long enough to get the oil temperature to 180 - 200 for a sustained period to evaporate moisture leave it alone. As said a battery tender or disconnect it, mothballs or use nylons cut up and fashioned into knotted bags filled with dog hair to keep mice away from you wiring/air filter. The beady eyed bastards love to eat wire insulation and nest in air-boxes. Some people go as far as putting steel wool in the exhaust tips.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:01 PM   #4
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
I’ve stored a bunch of cars for winter for years. A couple I left sit without starting for like 5 months at a time. Those cars usually dried out the valve seals so after a couple years of leaving them without starting for months at a time, after a while I noticed blue smoke on startup. I’d say off the top of my head it was at least 3 different cars. Valve seals dried and didn’t seal correctly. The many other cars I stored and store over the years that I did start here and there over the winter did not have this happen.
Just something I have observed over the years of myself and many friends storing cars over the winter. I am also in Canada and it does go well below freezing where I live here in Ontario.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:16 PM   #5
Zigg L1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red Tintcoat A10
That seems to be a debate. To start or not to start over the winter. I too get really cold winters. It was 2*F this morning got up to a balmy 10*F. I put my car on a battery tender in a insulated but not heated garage.
This is my first car I am storing over the winter. Last winter was about 4months.
Zigg L1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:20 PM   #6
Crushed 1LE

That's what I'm thinking too Warrior. No point starting her unless I can get oil temps up to 180+.

Oil change was done b4 hybernation and battery tender also attached. I just love starting her up! I'll resist the temptation lol.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:28 PM   #7
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
A Porsche powertrain engineer once told me that if you put a car in storage for the winter, leave it alone. Unless you can drive it 20 minutes, up to full temperature, under a load.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:35 PM   #8
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Drives: 2022 ZLE, 2023 ZLE (Inbound)
Colorado, so we get a lot of decent 40F+ days during the winter. I make a point to drive the car once a month, and get it up to full temperature. If it's not a long enough trip, I leave it alone.

Stays on a battery tender for the weeks between, in its own insulated but unheated single garage. It's a 2019 so hard to say if this is a winning strategy since this is its first winter, but I'm going with it.
rlarsen462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:45 PM   #9
LIVEVIL

Drives: Camaro
Cold starts are hard on an engine, so if you can avoid starting it then that's your best bet for engine longevity. There's just about no reason why an engine HAS to be started during storage, all you're doing is causing extra wear for no gain.

If you've got a heated garage and keep it at 70* all winter, that wear is greatly reduced but still there. However cold cold starts while at freezing temps is where most of engine wear happens.
LIVEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:35 AM   #10
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
Avoid any unnecessary cold starts. There is nothing gained from this and cold starts with not enough time to truly warm up may do more damage than good.
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:39 AM   #11
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushed 1LE View Post
Has anyone read any articles or have any thoughts about periodic engine start-up during storage? Is it better to just let her sit, or start her every couple of weeks? Perhaps starting her, idling for 5 minutes and not letting moisture burn off due to oil temperature not getting to peak levels is worse than just letting it sleep.

Personally, l love starting her and enjoying the cold start, but Im starting to wonder if there is any documented science out there that points in the opposite direction.

One note: I am not in sub zero climate - cold but not freezing.
I think you are looking at this all wrong. Since I sold my ZL1 in August, I have an empty garage space for awhile. I will store your car for free in nice warm North Texas and will drive it once a week to keep the engine/trans parts all nice an lubed up so it will not get cobwebs.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:19 AM   #12
Crushed 1LE

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
I think you are looking at this all wrong. Since I sold my ZL1 in August, I have an empty garage space for awhile. I will store your car for free in nice warm North Texas and will drive it once a week to keep the engine/trans parts all nice an lubed up so it will not get cobwebs.
LOL. On my way. See you in 4 days. If I can just find snow chains that fit a 325 section tire
Old 01-25-2020, 01:05 PM   #13
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I'll keep her garaged and on the electric juice dripper until that **** salt is off the roads. Townships are spewing so much there are literal mounds in intersections and along highway ramps. Wife's SUV is already ravaged by that crap after only 2 winters, I can't wash the undercarriage off every time she drives

Crushed 1LE, that North Texas garage with some nice weekly Italian tuneup does sound like a gentleman's deal

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:02 PM   #14
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
I’ve stored a bunch of cars for winter for years. A couple I left sit without starting for like 5 months at a time. Those cars usually dried out the valve seals so after a couple years of leaving them without starting for months at a time, after a while I noticed blue smoke on startup. I’d say off the top of my head it was at least 3 different cars. Valve seals dried and didn’t seal correctly. The many other cars I stored and store over the years that I did start here and there over the winter did not have this happen.
Just something I have observed over the years of myself and many friends storing cars over the winter. I am also in Canada and it does go well below freezing where I live here in Ontario.
I've had the same thing happen to a # of cars that I've stored. On one, a seal popped off and was dripping oil on a plug. I was told by the mechanic that it was because of the prolonged storage. That car had 9.7K miles.

I lost a wristpin in another car that was stored for extended periods, @ 27K miles.

Almost all others disliked the first start of the season - w/rough running for the first 5-10 minutes. I always keep the gas tanks full and treated with stabilizer and dry gas.

None of the above is conclusive proof that it's good start and drive the car from time to time, but that's what I do now. I try to wait until the temps are above 40F , the roads are dry and drive for at least an hour. This also helps me with the winter blues.

Took the mustang out yesterday... that was nice.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote