Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-06-2020, 03:01 PM   #1
liviner

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Repainting factory black wheels

Anyone tried repainting their factory black SS wheels? I picked up a 2016 1SS a few months ago, and the previous owner either didn't take care of the wheels, or the factory finish is just crap. Either way, looks like the clear is flaking/peeling, so the wheels look like trash close up.

Any tips for DIY repaint? Products to use?
liviner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
FWIW, I have used VHT wheel paint (rattle cans) on several projects with pretty good success.
Just be sure to apply 2-3 coats of their wheel clear over whatever color you choose.
This provides UV protection and also helps a lot to protect against chips.

I used regular Jasco paint stripper to clean off the old finish, then fine grit sandpaper to remove any major dings and curb rash.
Then a coarse Scotchbrite pad to rough up the surfaces (to give a "tooth" for the paint to grip into).
Next a very light coat of adhesion promoter followed by several thin/mist color coats until the appearance is uniform and flaw free.
Use another very light mist of adhesion promoter over the color (just a light mist, not enough to affect the color) and finally the clear coats.
The last time I did that they held up quite nicely for six or seven years until I sold the car.

Also, behind the wheel spokes I painted the "interior" (near the brake rotors) with black VHT brake caliper paint to save on the more expensive color and clear paint.
Just put a piece of cut cardboard behind the spokes so you don't mess up your newly painted outer surfaces and mask so that over spray doesn't make its way past the cardboard.

It was a whole weekend's work for me because I let each of the color coats dry for an hour or two.

Naturally after that you must never use clip on weights any more, just in case you were so inclined before.
DIY paint will not hold up to them (it will scar or chip).

I hope that helps you.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:38 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
The better way to go is powder coat. If you must paint TryDupont Imron, the stuff is indestructible , every other paint will chip long-term.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:12 PM   #4
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
The better way to go is powder coat.
Totally agreed, but that is not a DIY technique for most people as the OP requested.

Imron is indeed great stuff, if you have the equipment and facilities to spray it safely.
Rattle cans are the lowest common denominator for DIY jobs such as this.
And when using adhesion promoter it will hold up surprisingly well.

(BTW I have sprayed well over 35 cars and bikes and do have the proper equipment, but could not assume that from the OP's post).