Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-28-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
glopez5

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Worst Fear- Car Slipped off Jack

So, worst fear, it appears that my car must have slipped off the jack at the dealership and they did not mention it to me. 2 weeks later (today) I'm jacking up the car to fix some brake squeal and i look up and find that they had it mounted it on the cross member and it must have slipped off. Causing some damage.

First time I brought it in I was very anal about how to jack the car, from the pinch welds, I made a point to tell her 10x not to jack it from crossmember because it was aluminum only from pinch welds.

What is my next step? What can really be done at this point other than replacing cross member? I'm going to contact the dealer Monday.
Attached Images

glopez5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:28 AM   #2
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
They'll deny it. The mgr probably as no clue it happened. The mechanic will never admit it. Unless the she shop has video monitoring it can never be proven. I would call them up and first pretend to be a new customer and just ask if the have video monitors. If so then find out how long they hold the video. If the hold it back to the date of the incident you may be able to prove it.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
They'll deny it. The mgr probably as no clue it happened. The mechanic will never admit it. Unless the she shop has video monitoring it can never be proven. I would call them up and first pretend to be a new customer and just ask if the have video monitors. If so then find out how long they hold the video. If the hold it back to the date of the incident you may be able to prove it.
Don't even have to pretend "hey, I had a dealer damage my car and now I want to make sure the dealers I use have in shop cameras, and how long the videos are kept in case I don't catch the damage at first, like if it was the underbody"

""Yes, we do"

"Oh, by the way, you are the ones that damaged it".
Old 04-28-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Looks like there is damage. I'd go directly to a lawyer, because Deputy Dog is right... dealers can be expected to lie and deny.

If the car has never been to another service center I think you have a very good chance of proving they are liable. 2 weeks isn't very long. Good luck!
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:07 AM   #5
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
You might consider getting on with your life. Two weeks later, you can't prove anything, they won't admit it, talking about camera's and this knuckle head mentions a lawyer...you need to just get on with your life. There's every reason to be disappointed about this.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #6
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
You might consider getting on with your life. Two weeks later, you can't prove anything, they won't admit it, talking about camera's and this knuckle head mentions a lawyer...you need to just get on with your life. There's every reason to be disappointed about this.

This is part of his life.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:59 AM   #7
glopez5

Update spoke to service manager today. Guess what? He said maybe it was like that from factory lmao. We dont jack our cars from subframe. So he asked me to forward him pictures. Its pretty clear they jack from subframe as its the only place that services my car. That and you can see rubber jack pad stains on the subframe.

I'm waiting to hear back. They do not have cameras, but i plan to go by and want them to prove they dont.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:14 AM   #8
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by glopez5 View Post
Update spoke to service manager today. Guess what? He said maybe it was like that from factory lmao. We dont jack our cars from subframe. So he asked me to forward him pictures. Its pretty clear they jack from subframe as its the only place that services my car. That and you can see rubber jack pad stains on the subframe.

I'm waiting to hear back. They do not have cameras, but i plan to go by and want them to prove they dont.
Most modern dealerships service centers use cameras now. Find out who owns or manages the whole store, not the service mgr. Just ask if they have cameras as you only use shops with cameras. See if the service mgr is lying or not.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:30 AM   #9
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Man that sucks.

I have gone to three different dealers to buy my camaros, and not one of them had any idea how to properly lift a one. When I used my free oil changes, I stood right there watching. The car never left my sight.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:47 AM   #10
TheWiseWolf

Drives: Camaro
This is why I plan to put in a go pro camera in my car at all times.

For accident events and these types of situations.

I also go to body shops where I have some view of my vehicle.

People saying just ask for the video feed that day.

They wont give it out. If anything they would probably delete it and say the cameras weren't working that day. Those cameras there are to see if the dealerships employees arnt just messing around or stealing equipment. Not for you.
TheWiseWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #11
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
That really sucks. This is the main reason I'm afraid about taking my car to the shop. They just don't care about it the same we do.

However, it doesn't look like there are any structural damage. The worst part is of course the bent sheet metal, but it shouldn't really affect the integrity of the body. But it should get re-painted where the paint fell off, so it won't start rusting out. That would be a lot worse.
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:33 AM   #12
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
One more thing, it should be okay to lift from the sheet metal in your picture (with the two holes) when using a 2 point lift instead of using the pinch welds. When the load is distributed more evenly that shouldn't be a problem. These holes are AFAIK used to transport the body around during the assembly process.

I think we all agree, that GM could have done a much better job with the lift points.
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:46 PM   #13
glopez5

Update, i drove up to the dealer pretty much had back and forth w/ them. They jacked it in a different area this time, and cleaned off the jack marks on the side before letting me in. I pointed that out becaue i had pictures. As you can guess, they failed to take any of the responsibility, and I walked around the shop I couldn't find any cameras. I tried to figure out where it could of happened but It's a crap shoot.

The foreman was a smart ass, even tried to ask me how I found out about it, kind of insinuating that it was me who did it. Then another mechanic jumped saying yeah that looks like someone else tried to hide it. Then like 5-6 mechanics came over all pointing out BS that they would never do that. Then they came up w/ story that maybe I hit something, to which i pointed out, how could I hit something so high yet have no damage anywhere else on the body. Also, they kept telling me lifting it from the aluminum is ok it's safe, i kept arguing the contrary, but guy would roll his eyes saying he's a gm mechanic he knows.

So all in all, I can't prove anything definitively, I wish I had taken pictures before. But like someone said, there isn't any real frame damage I even found the part online: https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-pa...Y4LWdhcw%3D%3D

so what can you do? I bought the car slightly used w/ 6k miles I could swear up and down that it wasn't there and It has been the only shop doing service on my car. But in the end it's not worth my time for a $200 part. I will just use another dealer in the area and just do better job of watching them jack it.

Lesson learned.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #14
clanky
Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro 2S

Drives: 16 Hyper Blue2SS NPP MagRide 6M NAV
"so what can you do? I bought the car slightly used w/ 6k miles"
What are the chances it was there when you bought it?
clanky is offline   Reply With Quote