Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 02-20-2020, 09:32 AM   #1
Midblues

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2019 Turbo 4 LT 6sp
CRC intake cleaning

Looking to do a CRC intake cleaning. Question want to make sure where the mass air flow sensor is and where do you guys think the best place to spray in intake is? Have turbo 4 2019 all stock.
Thanks

Last edited by Midblues; 02-20-2020 at 09:58 AM.
Midblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:18 AM   #2
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
only use maf cleaner. u can use Isopropyl alcohol on the maf. you can dip it in a bowl. it comes out with one screw right next to the air cleaner lid. be very careful with the clip. pull the orange up a bit and sqeeze the body hard. i would let it cool down first, it uses heated wires to measure the air.

https://itstillruns.com/clean-maf-alcohol-8663160.html

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:52 AM   #3
"Charlene"

Drives: Future V6 Camaro
Best method is to take off your air hose and spray directly into/onto the throttle body while giving the engine the recommended 2000 RPM.

Previous:
2016 Charger SE
2015 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
2009 Challenger R/T Classic
2009 Challenger SE

Last edited by "Charlene"; 02-20-2020 at 12:01 PM.
"Charlene" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:08 PM   #4
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
This is safe to soak valves in, but NEVER use an engine running cleaning on a GDI engine, especially a turbo. Ford will void the warranty as the pieces breaking loose will impact the hot side turbine blades and damage them from the impact. ONLY do a manual cleaning to be safe.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:43 PM   #5
Midblues

Then why does GM recommend it every 10,000 miles, now I am totally confused.
Thanks woolwork but not looking to clean MAS just not spray CRC on it.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
wookwook

i see. it will work with actual scrubbing. spray method seems useless. the lgt intake drops into a box then air blows upwards. i dont see how it could work from shooting the throttle opening. the space in the ltg bay makes it easier to remove the intake plenum. id use a shop vac to suction the intake ports not air gun though. In today's point and click world they might sell a bunch. the telling lack of CRC demo before and after proof tells you all you need to know. learn how to remove the plenum and set pistons TDC. soak, scrub, and suck. i would do that way.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
Old 02-21-2020, 06:45 AM   #7
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midblues View Post
Then why does GM recommend it every 10,000 miles, now I am totally confused.
Thanks woolwork but not looking to clean MAS just not spray CRC on it.

Where does gm recommend it ever?
Old 02-21-2020, 07:43 AM   #8
Midblues

Very tricky video I thought it was from General Motors GM but its not. My mistake sorry. So what do you guys do to clean intake and at how many miles do you have to clean it. I have no catch can setup thinking about it but warranty crop so just thought I would clean intake a few times till warranty is over.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:08 PM   #9
Buff Orppington

Drives: 2020 Camaro, 2.0 Turbo, 6 manual
I'm about to take delivery of a new 2.0, and have had the same question.

Seems that the options are CRC, catch cans, and the procedure outlined above. My dealer's service department said any and all of that would violate the warranty.

It looks like most people who worry about this use some sort of service like this from an independent garage.
https://www.tirereview.com/valvoline-launches-gdi-fuel-system-service/

I think the cost is about $80 or $100 or so. Can't vouch for it, but it's something that i could see doing.
Buff Orppington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:13 PM   #10
wookwook

its all b.s. i cant see this working w/o accessing the intake ports physically. there's a youtube out there with a shop shooting valve toppers with walnut chips. mini coopers actually code for needed service. seems like a money maker for service bays. i sense a good mobile service business oppty.

NFG M6 2T

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
Old 02-27-2020, 07:04 AM   #11
Buff Orppington

Drives: 2020 Camaro, 2.0 Turbo, 6 manual

Wookwook, how often do you do this operation? How do you know it’s time? Do you have the Mishi catch can system? Good to know about the easy access.

As far as CRC is concerned, i have no trouble believing it isn’t effective for an engine that has a lot of build up, and that it might pose some risk to an engine to use it for the first time when it has a lot of build up.

But using it as directed every 10,000 miles starting with a newish engine might make sense. It’s so cheap and easy, I’m basically looking for a reason not to use it every other oil change. Haven't seen anything online saying it caused any issues.

btw, it looks like BG products presents on google and youtube as a big deal in this area. They have a complete service. I see a Cadillac dealer near me offers this service, so I’m guessing no warranty issues. I saw a price of $129 somewhere.

Buff Orppington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:32 AM   #12
wookwook

i totally hear you. I brought up the topic before. I kind of backed into this from another angle several months back, but water under the bridge. Most of us I 'think' look to catch cans as a way to extend the need for having to do this on say like a 30K or 60k interval or some thing like that. No one knows b/c no one has posted this info on a life time of practice.

My understanding today.... you see the dexos formulation on the filler cap. its a new formulation that is supposed to reduce the possibility of explosive pre-bang? or super ping. Its not so much that DI valve gunking is the issue on its own. I 'think' in our collective hopes that the new piston design and dexos is enough to survive a lifetime of build up and extreme use, unless some one knows the factory requirement for shell blasting.

The only thing that comes to mind is now adding a chemical that will eventually find its way into the crankcase, I can understand the warranty issue, but really, how would they know? Would dealer do a chem analysis on the oil if they thought they would void a $5K claim? we don't know.... But the point is if we don't rely on dexos to do its job, then its left hand not knowing what right hand is doing buy adding chemicals.

I mean jeez they could have just built a lift top on the intake to access the ports and stems. But I don't think its not something you can't do in the driveway after 60K and call it a day.

I just do my oil changes earlier than the meter calls for and try to mitigate it that way for now.

NFG M6 2T

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
Old 02-27-2020, 10:11 AM   #13
Midblues

I am still leaning towards CRC every 10,000 miles and when the CRC service is done oil filter change so nothing is sitting in oil pan.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:13 AM   #14
Midblues

If there is a warranty issue GM will never know you used CRC but a catch can is visible and a pain to take in and out