Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-25-2020, 09:24 AM   #1
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Pray Performance remote tune questions

Questions for those who have had Pray Performance do a remote tune. I'm doing headers soon so I'll need to get a tune obviously. My local tuner is jerking me around so I'm considering a remote Pray tune. Brett has a solid reputation and I follow him on FB. I don't want to bother him with questions until I'm ready for the tune in April so I'll post here for advice. Brett if you're listening please chime in if you have time. I have a '16 Camaro SS M6 and not planning on racing, just spirited street use so drivability and throttle response are more important to me than HP numbers or 1/4 mile times.

1) I understand that I will need an HPT MPVI-2 handheld unit with 2 credits. Where's the best place to get one? I saw it on Amazon for $389, is there a cheaper price elsewhere?

2) What is the procedure for loading his tune and datalogging?

3) Is there software that comes with the MPVI-2 for a laptop or is it done through an app on my smartphone?

4) How has the tune worked out for you? Leaving anything on the table as compared to a dyno tune?

Thanks!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #2
Robby23

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Questions for those who have had Pray Performance do a remote tune. I'm doing headers soon so I'll need to get a tune obviously. My local tuner is jerking me around so I'm considering a remote Pray tune. Brett has a solid reputation and I follow him on FB. I don't want to bother him with questions until I'm ready for the tune in April so I'll post here for advice. Brett if you're listening please chime in if you have time. I have a '16 Camaro SS M6 and not planning on racing, just spirited street use so drivability and throttle response are more important to me than HP numbers or 1/4 mile times.

1) I understand that I will need an HPT MPVI-2 handheld unit with 2 credits. Where's the best place to get one? I saw it on Amazon for $389, is there a cheaper price elsewhere?

2) What is the procedure for loading his tune and datalogging?

3) Is there software that comes with the MPVI-2 for a laptop or is it done through an app on my smartphone?

4) How has the tune worked out for you? Leaving anything on the table as compared to a dyno tune?

Thanks!

1: If you go through pray you can get a package deal for the remote tune with skid mark garage. I contacted Dalton Hale on facebook to order it. Comes with HP tuner MPVI2 w/required credits, Wideband and the AEM x Series gauge which you need all of that for remote tune.

2: There are videos on youtube on how to data log and upload a tune. Its actually pretty easy. You do have to create a table in the HP Tuner program to add the wideband gauge so it reads that while you data log.

3: HP Tuner hooks up to a laptop

4: Not really leaving anything on the table except for being able to see HP/TQ numbers but even those are relative. All dynos read differently but you would be able to see actual number gains if you got a base dyno run number before adding mods/tune and using the same dyno for results.
Robby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:35 AM   #3
Shocker91

Drives: 2017 2SS, M6, Silver
hey SSMike brett doesnt pop on the forums to much anymore he is on facebook alot more than here. He can get you squared away with everything you need, for a remote tune you will need a AEM 0334 wideband along with the HPtuners MPVI2, depending on if you have a manual or an auto you may need more than 2 credits to unlock the TCM as well. he has packages for remote tuning. feel free to hit me up through PM i chat to the mastermind himself pretty much everyday in our group chat for Pray Performance.
17 2SS, Pray Performance Forged/Stroked 416, 2.9 Whipple (Pray ported), Stage 2.5 Pray ported heads, RotoFab Big Gulp, Katech 103mm TB, Pray Performance stage 3 forced induction cam, 8.855” crank shaft lower pulley, 3.00 S/C pulley, LT4 Fueling, SMG auxiliary fuel system, 2' TSP LT headers with X-Pipe, Magnaflow Competition axleback, Mighty Mouse Wild catch can, Hurst Short Shifter. Tuned by Pray Performance. 1011WHP/982WTQ
Shocker91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:39 PM   #4
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocker91 View Post
hey SSMike brett doesnt pop on the forums to much anymore he is on facebook alot more than here. He can get you squared away with everything you need, for a remote tune you will need a AEM 0334 wideband along with the HPtuners MPVI2, depending on if you have a manual or an auto you may need more than 2 credits to unlock the TCM as well. he has packages for remote tuning. feel free to hit me up through PM i chat to the mastermind himself pretty much everyday in our group chat for Pray Performance.
OK thanks! Will I need to weld a wideband bung into one of the headers?
Old 02-25-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
Shocker91

Quote:
OK thanks! Will I need to weld a wideband bung into one of the headers?
yes you will. placement is at least 18 inches from the primaries. i have my bung about 2 inches above and at a ten degree angle from my factory O2 sensor. so far it has about a year of use on it and no issues from it. cost me like ten dollars to have my local exhaust shop weld it in where i wanted it.
17 2SS, Pray Performance Forged/Stroked 416, 2.9 Whipple (Pray ported), Stage 2.5 Pray ported heads, RotoFab Big Gulp, Katech 103mm TB, Pray Performance stage 3 forced induction cam, 8.855” crank shaft lower pulley, 3.00 S/C pulley, LT4 Fueling, SMG auxiliary fuel system, 2' TSP LT headers with X-Pipe, Magnaflow Competition axleback, Mighty Mouse Wild catch can, Hurst Short Shifter. Tuned by Pray Performance. 1011WHP/982WTQ
Old 02-26-2020, 09:43 AM   #6
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
2016 only requires 3 credits for unlocking all the controllers. ECU, TCM, FSCM. 2017+ is when things changed with E92a and T87a controllers and require more credits to unlock.

Imo No you are not leaving anything on the table. A remote tune from Brett is far better then most if not all local dyno shops. The only issue with Brett is response time because he is beyond busy. Either way I would go with him and get HPt with a AEM 0334 wideband. Actually I never even installed a wideband until I went FI. Most bolt-on setups really do not need it and his base tune is pretty much spot on with the fueling. The shift points will likely take the most work if it's a A8, but since you are M6 it shouldn't him long to dial in.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:09 PM   #7
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

If I don't have to go with a wideband that would be great. I'm planning on keeping it NA so I think the wideband setup is a little more than I need, not to mention a lot of added expense!
Old 02-26-2020, 12:10 PM   #8
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
2016 only requires 3 credits for unlocking all the controllers. ECU, TCM, FSCM. 2017+ is when things changed with E92a and T87a controllers and require more credits to unlock.

Imo No you are not leaving anything on the table. A remote tune from Brett is far better then most if not all local dyno shops. The only issue with Brett is response time because he is beyond busy. Either way I would go with him and get HPt with a AEM 0334 wideband. Actually I never even installed a wideband until I went FI. Most bolt-on setups really do not need it and his base tune is pretty much spot on with the fueling. The shift points will likely take the most work if it's a A8, but since you are M6 it shouldn't him long to dial in.
I remember seeing somewhere that a '16 M6 is only 2 credits.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:36 PM   #9
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I remember seeing somewhere that a '16 M6 is only 2 credits.
Correct...for the ECU/TCM. But it's one more to unlock the FSCM.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:11 PM   #10
LARRY01Z28

Drives: 2001Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
Correct...for the ECU/TCM. But it's one more to unlock the FSCM.
what is the fscm?
LARRY01Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:22 PM   #11
Shocker91

LARRY01Z28 the FSCM is the Fuel Sytem Control Module. when tuning it unlocks the ability to regulate and alter the fuel system, along with disable AFM for customers with exhaust changes. to give a quick example.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:22 PM   #12
Robby23

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
If I don't have to go with a wideband that would be great. I'm planning on keeping it NA so I think the wideband setup is a little more than I need, not to mention a lot of added expense!
I would talk with pray on that one since it will be a remote tune. Will want A/F ratio to read for tuning purposes. Can always temp install it until tune is done then remove/attempt to re sell used. I am going to upgrade my gauge in a few months to show E-85 content as well as A/F since i cant find a gauge that does just E-85.
Robby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:30 PM   #13
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
Na or fuel injected, you should get a wideband sensor. It helps failsafe the system. I bought one for my tune, and immediately unhooked it once my tune was complete. It now sits in a box in my garage in case I need another tune.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:12 PM   #14
LARRY01Z28

Drives: 2001Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocker91 View Post
LARRY01Z28 the FSCM is the Fuel Sytem Control Module. when tuning it unlocks the ability to regulate and alter the fuel system, along with disable AFM for customers with exhaust changes. to give a quick example.
ok, thank you. im still learning
LARRY01Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote