Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-20-2023, 09:38 AM   #1
-Rooster-

Drives: 23 2SS 1LE
Are the PS4S and ECS 02 good enough for an occasional HPDE?

Hey guys, here’s my question. For somebody relatively new to track days, will the PS4S (and upcoming S 5 of course) and the ECS 02 hold up to 2-3 track days a year for a couple of years?

I subscribe to the belief that top all-seasons, like the Pilot Sport A/S 4, are better for daily driving and mountain runs when temps fall below about 60 degrees. Here in upstate SC, that’s what I plan to run in OEM SS 1LE sizes from about Oct to April. I also don’t think the 200TW tires are appropriate for daily driving in the southeast, given the rains we can get.

I plan to do a couple of track days per year starting next year. Tracks locally are RA, AMP, the Charlotte roval, and maybe Barber. I only want two sets of wheels/tires right now. So I need to choose between running the all-seasons year-round and having a better track tire as option 1, and running a PS4S/ECS02 April to October and subjecting them to an occasional track day.

I’m ok being slower. I’m new and will be learning car control. Will those tires hold up without chunking and destroying themselves rapidly?
Old 10-20-2023, 09:41 AM   #2
BoilerUP

Drives: Cadillac ATS-V
IMO yes, as long as you max front camber.

I'd run AS year round and get a set of 200TWs for the track though.
Old 10-20-2023, 09:46 AM   #3
-Rooster-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
IMO yes, as long as you max front camber.

I'd run AS year round and get a set of 200TWs for the track though.
Thanks. Planning camber plates and rear toe links this winter, so I should be ok there.

And the best A/S tires are really, really good. I ran the A/S3 on my ‘16 SS sedan the entire time I owned it. Granted, that was in Indy.

Go Boilers!
Old 10-20-2023, 04:21 PM   #4
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
OP, I think your approach will work fine. Another alternative for you to consider, and the one I've adopted is OEM SC3 tires/wheels for track days, and ECS on new wheels (285 square) for DD and rain events at the track.

I have driven the ECS on a drying track and they performed fine (though I wasn't driving at my max pace so not sure how they'd do after a few weekend of dry track). But they are great in the wet on track and they are fine for everyday driving. My 1LE is not my DD car, so if it gets really cold (< 35F) I would simply use another vehicle. But down to 35F, the ECS still grips just fine when cold.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 04:32 PM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
ive used ps4s on track before i switched over to supercar 3s and they work but they wont last super long at track days and they are alot slower than other tires about 2 to 3 seconds per course
Old 10-20-2023, 11:45 PM   #6
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rooster- View Post
I subscribe to the belief that top all-seasons, like the Pilot Sport A/S 4, are better for daily driving and mountain runs when temps fall below about 60 degrees. Here in upstate SC, that’s what I plan to run in OEM SS 1LE sizes from about Oct to April. I also don’t think the 200TW tires are appropriate for daily driving in the southeast, given the rains we can get.
Are you sh*tting me? I mean, if you need a winter tire...for winter, by all means. But PS4S are great tires, even below 60 degrees. Definitely not worth sacrificing handling all the time with an A/S tire. You live in SC for god's sake. Life is too short to run an A/S tire in the summer.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 07:44 AM   #7
CTRifecta

Yes, especially if you are a novice track driver + how capable the camaro is.
Vehicle Built (per chevy chat bot) - 10/10/23
Window sticker available online - 11/4/23
Arrived at dealership - 11/10/23
CTRifecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 09:58 PM   #8
-Rooster-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Are you sh*tting me? I mean, if you need a winter tire...for winter, by all means. But PS4S are great tires, even below 60 degrees. Definitely not worth sacrificing handling all the time with an A/S tire. You live in SC for god's sake. Life is too short to run an A/S tire in the summer.
Consider that you underestimate how good the top-tier A/S tires are. Winter here near the mountains is pretty much a ton of rain and sub-60 temps. Wet and cold is a summer tire’s kryptonite. Of course a summer tire would be better when consistently over 55-60 degrees. Hence my dilemma and the reason for the thread.
Old 10-23-2023, 12:31 AM   #9
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Consider that you underestimate how good the top-tier A/S tires are. Winter here near the mountains is pretty much a ton of rain and sub-60 temps. Wet and cold is a summer tire’s kryptonite. Of course a summer tire would be better when consistently over 55-60 degrees. Hence my dilemma and the reason for the thread.
PS4S are exceptionally good in those conditions.

The number of people in the South US convinced they have to run A/S tires is appalling.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 05:54 AM   #10
-Rooster-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
PS4S are exceptionally good in those conditions.

The number of people in the South US convinced they have to run A/S tires is appalling.
Are you suggesting I run them in 30-45 degree temps for daily driving and mountain runs? And in the rain at those temps? No thanks.

My ‘16 SS came off of the OEM Bridgestones in cool weather and went to a set of A/S3+. It was immediately improved. The 1LE just came off of SC3s in 60-70 degree weather, and grip has only dropped a little in actual street use. By the mid-50s, I expect the A/S4 to have better grip. I’m speaking from personal experience. And I drive like a hoon, so they’ve been tested.

Those tires aren’t the PS4S. But the concept is the same, unless they have figured out a summer tire compound that doesn’t get hard when it’s cold.
Old 10-23-2023, 06:25 AM   #11
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Are you suggesting I run them in 30-45 degree temps for daily driving and mountain runs? And in the rain at those temps? No thanks.

My ‘16 SS came off of the OEM Bridgestones in cool weather and went to a set of A/S3+. It was immediately improved. The 1LE just came off of SC3s in 60-70 degree weather, and grip has only dropped a little in actual street use. By the mid-50s, I expect the A/S4 to have better grip. I’m speaking from personal experience. And I drive like a hoon, so they’ve been tested.

Those tires aren’t the PS4S. But the concept is the same, unless they have figured out a summer tire compound that doesn’t get hard when it’s cold.
James is 100% correct. The PS4S and the ECS are both very, very special tires. They are so good in cool and wet conditions that many of us use them for rain tires in autocross and track competition that requires 200+ treadwear tires. The have nothing in common with the Bridgestones you referenced, or any other "summer" tire. They are truly "three-season" tires, and they are vastly better on a 45F and/or wet day than any all-season tire. This isn't opinion, this is fact: the data is out there. I have first-hand experience with the PS4S on a track day where temps hovered in the high 30s dry and then the rain came down and the temp stuck at 40F. Basically, unless there is snow or ice or the temps get into the low 20s, these two tires are the best performance option.
Old 10-23-2023, 06:27 AM   #12
VaporPressure

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE
I've run the ECS (on a ZLE) at a few track days when I was in the slower groups. They held up fine and were a decent tire at that pace. The car itself was able to keep me as fast as anyone in the intermediate groups. Decent grip, good breakaway characteristics, and durable. Daily use in weather was acceptable. Once I was in advanced, my anecdotal experience was that old ECS tires were 10 seconds off pace compared to takeoff slicks on a 2+ minute track. Started to chunk at that point, after many daily miles and probably 4-5 track days.
VaporPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 06:52 AM   #13
-Rooster-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
James is 100% correct. The PS4S and the ECS are both very, very special tires. They are so good in cool and wet conditions that many of us use them for rain tires in autocross and track competition that requires 200+ treadwear tires. The have nothing in common with the Bridgestones you referenced, or any other "summer" tire. They are truly "three-season" tires, and they are vastly better on a 45F and/or wet day than any all-season tire. This isn't opinion, this is fact: the data is out there. I have first-hand experience with the PS4S on a track day where temps hovered in the high 30s dry and then the rain came down and the temp stuck at 40F. Basically, unless there is snow or ice or the temps get into the low 20s, these two tires are the best performance option.
Sweet, thanks for the intel. To be fair, track days keep heat in the tires, so a 35-degree track day isn’t a 35-degree drive to Asheville, but 40F and wet is very, very impressive.

That’s probably what I’ll end up with to start, and then I can use them into the colder months and let them gain my trust. If that happens, the A/S4 would get replaced with track-specific rubber once they are worn out.
Old 10-23-2023, 06:53 AM   #14
-Rooster-

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPressure View Post
I've run the ECS (on a ZLE) at a few track days when I was in the slower groups. They held up fine and were a decent tire at that pace. The car itself was able to keep me as fast as anyone in the intermediate groups. Decent grip, good breakaway characteristics, and durable. Daily use in weather was acceptable. Once I was in advanced, my anecdotal experience was that old ECS tires were 10 seconds off pace compared to takeoff slicks on a 2+ minute track. Started to chunk at that point, after many daily miles and probably 4-5 track days.
Perfect. And without a blower and the ZLE’s aero, I’ll be that little bit easier on them.