#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-01-2021, 03:05 PM   #15
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I have no desire for a manual GT4, a big part of choosing the PDK was the improved 0-60 and I love me a good dual clutch over a manual.

I am getting mine at MSRP, I negotiated my deal and put a deposit down before all this craziness started, luckily. The GT4 purchase has been 9 mths in the making so far. delivery is in Nov.
The dual clutch is great. If only GM could have made the Camaro launch system better then the Camaro could have more consistent 0 to 60 times.

Glad you didn't pay over MSRP since that is what nearly every Porsche dealer does and even Porsche know they have owners who only want the badge and could care less how much they pay over.

Enjoy it when it comes in.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:09 PM   #16
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Thanks man.

It will be my first P car and first mid-engine car.

I am coming from an SS 1LE to the GT4, not from the ZLE. Most track times for the SS 1LE and manual GT4 are very close, with the GT4 slightly ahead. With the PDK version, it will be a bit quicker both straight line and in the corners. I knew going in that I was not going to gain much over the SS 1LE, but my motivation wasn't added performance. The SS 1LE is amazing and I am happy with its performance ( I do not track).

I just want the SS 1LE performance in a more upscale, lighter, smaller, dual clutch, and mid-engine package. That is my motivation for the move.
You're buying a 718 GT4 and you aren't going to track it? That is literally the only reason I would buy a GT4 :-)

A new GT4 is $105k+ with PDK as the only option. A base 911 comes with PDK at $101K and a 911S is $117k. I would get the base 911 with Sport Chrono, I've read that it does 0-60 in low to mid 3 seconds and it's a 911. I love the look of the 992.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:24 PM   #17
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
You're buying a 718 GT4 and you aren't going to track it? That is literally the only reason I would buy a GT4 :-)

A new GT4 is $105k+ with PDK as the only option. A base 911 comes with PDK at $101K and a 911S is $117k. I would get the base 911 with Sport Chrono, I've read that it does 0-60 in low to mid 3 seconds and it's a 911. I love the look of the 992.
The exterior of the 992 is gorgeous, however the interior IMO is a step in the wrong direction. It's more luxury now than sport and I am not a fan of the Bic shaver looking gear selector.

While your numbers seem good on paper, as I would want it specced, the price difference is quite a bit more. You have to move to the S model to get the best handling options... PTV and RWS. The base Carrara is too soft for me.

The Carrara S as I would want it specced (and similar to how I specced my GT4) is closer to $150K.

Also, I want the mid engine platform. In the corners, the mid-engine layout is better than the rear-engine.

Regarding tracking, not really my thing to spend over $100K on a car and trash it at the track. Tracking is not a cheap endeavor and flying is my expensive hobby, can't afford 2 expensive hobbies.

You don't need a track to enjoy the benefits of the GT4, canyon/mountain roads will do just fine. I can appreciate the abilities of a car without needing to take it to the track. I didn't track my SS 1LE either. There are those that say there is no need for the 1LE package if you do not plan to track. I completely disagree, I use all the SS 1LE is capable of when the circumstances allow and appreciate everything the 1LE package gives you. Hitting 1.2 G's on a cloverleaf is quite fun.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:32 PM   #18
dfxrte

Drives: 22 ZL1 M6
Quote:
The exterior of the 992 is gorgeous, however the interior IMO is a step in the wrong direction. It's more luxury now than sport and I am not a fan of the Bic shaver looking gear selector.

While your numbers seem good on paper, as I would want it specced, the price difference is quite a bit more. You have to move to the S model to get the best handling options... PTV and RWS. The base Carrara is too soft for me.

The Carrara S as I would want it specced (and similar to how I specced my GT4) is closer to $150K.

Also, I want the mid engine platform. In the corners, the mid-engine layout is better than the rear-engine.

Regarding tracking, not really my thing to spend over $100K on a car and trash it at the track. Tracking is not a cheap endeavor and flying is my expensive hobby, can't afford 2 expensive hobbies.

You don't need a track to enjoy the benefits of the GT4, canyon/mountain roads will do just fine. I can appreciate the abilities of a car without needing to take it to the track. I didn't track my SS 1LE either. There are those that say there is no need for the 1LE package if you do not plan to track. I completely disagree, I use all the SS 1LE is capable of when the circumstances allow and appreciate everything the 1LE package gives you. Hitting 1.2 G's on a cloverleaf is quite fun.

Ppl are gonna hate regardless, fact of the matter is the GT4 is an insanely fun car, especially as a daily driver. You can drive the piss out of it and get every inch of the power onto the pavement. ZL1 you also can do the same with a proper set of tires. Both are amazingly fun cars on the track and as a daily.

GT4 as a daily MIGHT be more fun for the pure driving experience, similarly to how an m4 performs vs the SS on street. All these cars are great at what they do, by the looks of your signature you've had a lot of awesome driving cars and a true enthusiast!

enjoy that GT4, it was 2nd on my list but ultimately went with the ZL1

edit: I will add though M6 > PDK (for me at least) pdk mighty impressive though
dfxrte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:08 PM   #19
SFV1LE

Quote:

Tracking a car does not trash it, where did you get this impression? I see you had several great track cars like E90 M3, C6 Z06 and F80 M3 with Ohlins, have you had much track experience with these or other cars?

I've tracked my 2018 ZLE 17 days total, with a big gap during COVID, and 9 days since November 2020. My car has under 14k miles and looks much better than most cars with that many street miles, it has PPF on the front clip, I use extra track-day PPF at events, and I take good care of it. Still no rattles and never had a code. I have replaced the windshield, that's it.

In my experience you're definitely not using all these cars are capable of if you're pulling high Gs on the street, off/onramps, etc... it's not physically possible without being on a serious track where your R comps reach 200+ F and become gooey, your car is pulling those 1.2 Gs in 100+ MPH turns and drifting repeatedly on corner exit, tearing down straights at 140 MPH+, braking from triple digits until your calipers glow orange, etc. Only then are you experiencing the full capability, it's a at least 50% more extreme than the most aggressive street or canyon driving. The ZL1 handles it no problem without getting trashed at all, it's built like a warplane to handle the extreme duty. Unless you don't take care of your car, which is true on the street as well.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:26 PM   #20
TRZ06

Quote:
Tracking a car does not trash it, where did you get this impression? I see you had several great track cars like E90 M3, C6 Z06 and F80 M3 with Ohlins, have you had much track experience with these or other cars?

I've tracked my 2018 ZLE 17 days total, with a big gap during COVID, and 9 days since November 2020. My car has under 14k miles and looks much better than most cars with that many street miles, it has PPF on the front clip, I use extra track-day PPF at events, and I take good care of it. Still no rattles and never had a code. I have replaced the windshield, that's it.

In my experience you're definitely not using all these cars are capable of if you're pulling high Gs on the street, off/onramps, etc... it's not physically possible without being on a serious track where your R comps reach 200+ F and become gooey, your car is pulling those 1.2 Gs in 100+ MPH turns and drifting repeatedly on corner exit, tearing down straights at 140 MPH+, braking from triple digits until your calipers glow orange, etc. Only then are you experiencing the full capability, it's a at least 50% more extreme than the most aggressive street or canyon driving. The ZL1 handles it no problem without getting trashed at all, it's built like a warplane to handle the extreme duty. Unless you don't take care of your car, which is true on the street as well.
I do not deny that track driving would be more fun, but as I said, its expensive and not really my thing. I am ok with not using 100% of my cars, I still get plenty of joys that driving a track focused car give you on the street. The stiffer bushing sets, the tighter handling, higher limits, these are all things I can appreciate every time I drive my cars.

Aviation uses a good chunk of my disposal income. Flying aerobatics is even more fun than track driving. Pulling 4 G's in a loop, doing hammerhead stalls, etc. gives me all the adrenaline rush I need.

I do plan to do the Porsche Experience Center Day when I go to pick up my car though, since I am getting in at a So. Cal. dealer. It includes 90 mins of track time in the GT4, but using their cars, not mine.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 08-01-2021, 06:29 PM   #21
TRZ06

Here is my spec...
Attached Images

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 08-01-2021, 06:52 PM   #22
SFV1LE

Quote:
Here is my spec...
You do aerobatics? Wow that must be amazing, you have a dedicated aerobatics plane?

My other expensive hobby is skiing and I try to get 15-20 days a year, so I understand what you’re saying. I only have time and money for one at a time, from Jan-Feb I usually don’t go to the track.

I like that spec, looks great.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:59 PM   #23
TRZ06

Quote:
You do aerobatics? Wow that must be amazing, you have a dedicated aerobatics plane?

My other expensive hobby is skiing and I try to get 15-20 days a year, so I understand what you’re saying. I only have time and money for one at a time, from Jan-Feb I usually don’t go to the track.

I like that spec, looks great.
Thanks, I am super excited. Nov. can't come fast enough.

Nah, too expensive to maintain, I rent from my flying club.

One of the perks of living in CA is the aviation scene. There are a few schools/club that offer aerobatic flight training and then once you are signed off for solo, you can rent their planes and go do them on your own.

The club I rent from have 2 Pitts, 1 Extra 300, and a couple of Citabra's. Then I do regular flying in Cessna 172's as well when I just want to take a day trip somewhere.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 08-02-2021, 01:38 PM   #24
dfxrte

Drives: 22 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Here is my spec...

sexy
dfxrte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:02 PM   #25
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Thanks, I am super excited. Nov. can't come fast enough.

Nah, too expensive to maintain, I rent from my flying club.

One of the perks of living in CA is the aviation scene. There are a few schools/club that offer aerobatic flight training and then once you are signed off for solo, you can rent their planes and go do them on your own.

The club I rent from have 2 Pitts, 1 Extra 300, and a couple of Citabra's. Then I do regular flying in Cessna 172's as well when I just want to take a day trip somewhere.
PDK won’t disappoint! As soon as you do your first launch control you are going to be hooked.
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:09 PM   #26
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Aviation uses a good chunk of my disposal income. Flying aerobatics is even more fun than track driving. Pulling 4 G's in a loop, doing hammerhead stalls, etc. gives me all the adrenaline rush I need.
Where do you fly out of? I agree, Aviation takes the cake over cars, but cars are still fun...

My "work" office... (Gulfstream G600)

My fun "Toy"... (2020 2SS)

Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:43 AM   #27
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
How does the interior space/seats of the PDK compare to the ZL1?
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:45 AM   #28
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
How does the interior space/seats of the PDK compare to the ZL1?
PDK is the transmission, so I guess it depends on which model you are talking about
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote