Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-30-2020, 01:14 AM   #1
Maro_89

Drives: High HP V8
Those who have went from a Hellcat to a ZL1 or ZL1 1LE

Curious to know if any of you guys had a Hellcat and traded it in for the ZL1 or ZL1 1LE and why? Any reason you liked the ZL1s better than the Hellcat? Also which of these three cars has more of a fun factor/ more entertaining to drive on the street?
Maro_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:44 AM   #2
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
One dimensional boat vs true sports car

/thread
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:17 AM   #3
Flowtie1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
What zx-10r said
Flowtie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:31 AM   #4
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
He is asking to those that made the switch. I see this thread will end in a far far away area than the original question.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:19 AM   #5
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
I own both.
They are totally different cars. Hard to compare them with each other, they are built with two different purposes in mind. I thought I was going to end up selling one of them at some point but after the first six months of owning both I realized they are two totally different machines.

They both bring their own version of fun in the street.

The Hellcat's raw power, and ability to go sideways at any moment brings it's own brand of fun. Myself and anyone who gets in the passenger seat (usually my girlfriend) giggle like school girls whenever I blip the throttle. The sounds it makes (blower whine and exhaust) makes the car incredibly fun to drive on the local streets.

The ZL1 1LE doesn't feel as raw as the Hellcat in the local streets. You have to get the Camaro up to speed and into some twisty back roads and it will deliver. But, it will deliver with a slightly different brand of fun than the Hellcat. It's not the giddy schoolgirl giggling the Hellcat brings. ZL1 1LE delivers more of an awe-inducing, serious brand of fun. Meaning, more like a "wow, I can't believe this car can do that", that will bring it's own giggling and fun.

In my opinion, on local town roads the Hellcat is more fun to drive. You don't need high speeds or a lot of room to get that thing to act stupid (in a good way). If you don't live anywhere near twisty back roads, the Hellcat is the beast for you.

On local town rods the Camaro always leaves me wanting more, it's too quiet and too refined. In order for the Camaro to come alive it needs to be at speeds on a twisty back road. In that scenario the Hellcat takes a lot of effort to drive hard which in turn detracts from the fun factor.

BUT, if you realize that the Hellcat is not supposed to be hugging tight corners and you are ok with that and drive it accordingly, the twisty back roads can be fun as well.

Luckily for me where I currently live (on the border of Northern NJ and Upstate NY) I have my pick of either local, main street type roads (tons of fun with the Hellcat) and twisty mountainous terrain (tons of fun with the Camaro).

I love both of them and I'm truly lucky to be able to have both. My mood for the day is the deciding factor for which car I drive.

By the way the 350R falls somewhere in between the two.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:19 AM   #6
Alain

ff

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Old 05-30-2020, 11:48 AM   #7
ZX-10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
On local town rods the Camaro [is] too quiet and too refined. In order for the Camaro to come alive it needs to be at speeds on a twisty back road.
thanks for the confirmation
Old 05-30-2020, 12:51 PM   #8
Pantherzl1

Drives: 2019 Camaro zl1
The camaro from factory is much much louder then the hellcat. It also feels faster as I own both. It doesn’t lose traction like the hellcat which I guess little girls find amusing. One feels like a minivan and the other feels like a sports car. Also in my tests the Camaro Zl1 is faster in every single way (dig,Roll,track). The only thing better about the hellcat is the ability to make love to women in the back seat.
Pantherzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:50 PM   #9
Alain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherzl1 View Post
The camaro from factory is much much louder then the hellcat. It also feels faster as I own both. It doesn’t lose traction like the hellcat which I guess little girls find amusing. One feels like a minivan and the other feels like a sports car. Also in my tests the Camaro Zl1 is faster in every single way (dig,Roll,track). The only thing better about the hellcat is the ability to make love to women in the back seat.
you must have bought a 392 with Hellcat badges on it when you bought your Hellcat.

little girls do find it amusing, I forgot to mention that in my original post, thanks for reminding me.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

Old 05-30-2020, 06:21 PM   #10
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
In most drag videos on youtube, the Hellcat is the slower car in a dig and roll up until like 140+. It's obviously the slower car around corners too. I can see the appeal of the Hellcat, but the Camaro is a bonafide sportscar.
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:52 PM   #11
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I own both.
They are totally different cars. Hard to compare them with each other, they are built with two different purposes in mind. I thought I was going to end up selling one of them at some point but after the first six months of owning both I realized they are two totally different machines.

The Hellcat's raw power, and ability to go sideways at any moment brings it's own brand of fun. Myself and anyone who gets in the passenger seat (usually my girlfriend) giggle like school girls whenever I blip the throttle. The sounds it makes (blower whine and exhaust) makes the car incredibly fun to drive on the local streets.

The ZL1 1LE doesn't feel as raw as the Hellcat in the local streets. You have to get the Camaro up to speed and into some twisty back roads and it will deliver. But, it will deliver with a slightly different brand of fun than the Hellcat. It's not the giddy schoolgirl giggling the Hellcat brings. ZL1 1LE delivers more of an awe-inducing, serious brand of fun. Meaning, more like a "wow, I can't believe this car can do that", that will bring it's own giggling and fun.

In my opinion, on local town roads the Hellcat is more fun to drive. You don't need high speeds or a lot of room to get that thing to act stupid (in a good way). If you don't live anywhere near twisty back roads, the Hellcat is the beast for you.

On local town rods the Camaro always leaves me wanting more, it's too quiet and too refined. In order for the Camaro to come alive it needs to be at speeds on a twisty back road. In that scenario the Hellcat takes a lot of effort to drive hard which in turn detracts from the fun factor.

BUT, if you realize that the Hellcat is not supposed to be hugging tight corners and you are ok with that and drive it accordingly, the twisty back roads can be fun as well.

Luckily for me where I currently live (on the border of Northern NJ and Upstate NY) I have my pick of either local, main street type roads (tons of fun with the Hellcat) and twisty mountainous terrain (tons of fun with the Camaro).

I love both of them and I'm truly lucky to be able to have both. My mood for the day is the deciding factor for which car I drive.

Nice post, great write up.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:20 PM   #12
Maro_89

Drives: High HP V8
Quote:
I own both.

Great post thank you for sharing! They both are definitely different cars. So it seems like the Hellcat is the one that’s more entertaining and fun on the street. That’s cool that you live in an area with twisty roads I wish we had that lol. Since I live in South Florida it’s mostly straight roadways and highways with high speed limits and limited curves.

I truly do want a raw muscle sounding car and they both have their pros and cons but I like the fact that the ZL1 is the more balanced car. The ZL1 doesn’t sound too bad but I would probably have to change the exhaust on it to have more of a muscle sound, on startups it sounds a little raspy for my taste. If I could I would have both cars. Not having enough seat time in these cars makes it difficult as I’m sure they would speak to you more eventually to choose which is best suited for the individual.
Maro_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:54 PM   #13
ABM Camaro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 Camaro
Makes me want a Redeye even more now

V6 Camaro bolt ons and E85
Tuned by Tampa Tuning
ABM Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:16 PM   #14
ZX-10R

Never understood the appeal of super heavy boat cars that only go fast in a straight line - it's kind of mindless. Then again, people ride heavy choppers with extended forks. The same people are almost always out of shape and and couldn't do anything with a sportbike anyway

More power I can understand, but a ZL1 can get to 700+ rwhp fairly easily. If you need more than that on the street you're probably more of a dreamer than a realist