Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
air1kdf

Drives: his 45th SS everywhere
My wife said I can get it but...

My wife said I can trade up for the Camaro (2 months ago), but there are 2 stipulations.
  1. I had to swear that I wouldn't modify it until after it's paid off.
  2. It had to be brand new, like I have to unwrap it like a present off the truck new. Like nobody else is allowed to have farted in the seats, new.
So I ordered a 45th 2SS in September, and it will be here any day now. I just can't wait.

Now I'm starting to think about #1 here, and what exactly that means. For example everything that I have, and have ever had, has aftermarket exhaust. She loves muscle cars. She ALWAYS comments on a nice sounding exhaust note. And she also loves the smile I get when I roll down my windows and hammer it under every tunnel/underpass.

So what are my chances for getting an exception? Any thoughts or suggestions? I know I need to chill and get the car first, just preemptive thinking on my part right now.
air1kdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Synner

Drives: cars
Buy it, install it, ask to be forgiven.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
woolfman72

Drives: Black 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
or have them do it before you pick it up and she will NEVER know!
Old 11-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
KirkB
Don't Believe the Truth

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 1LS
Take her to a get together. Let her see, feel and smell the benefits of mods.

I was out to purchase a 2012 cruze Eco @ 42 mpg. Jokingly told the wife I could get a camaro for just a few K more. We both love camaros and neither of us have ever owned one. She told me I had to get the camaro. So I did. Conservatively purchased a 1LS with the intent to spend my "savings" on rims, intake, exhaust and stereo. Not more than a day after purchasing the camaro I was shopping for rims. Much to my surprise, this annoyed her ... Hmmmm. Well I did it anyway and have since blackened the tail light trim and bowties. She is slowly coming back around. She just needs more encouragement. They always do.

Based on your statement, I'd bet she gives you the exception when she hears an SS with modified intake and exhaust. If not, let me know and I'll approve it
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
SSdude

Drives: Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by air1kdf View Post
She loves muscle cars. She ALWAYS comments on a nice sounding exhaust note. And she also loves the smile I get when I roll down my windows and hammer it under every tunnel/underpass.
You're already halfway there..
Old 11-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
dcarlos55

Drives: 2017 HBM A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Never forget that forgiveness is easier to attain than permission. Florists and jewelers usually help with the forgiveness part.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Tell her that is like giving a kid a bowl of ice cream and telling him he can't eat it. Besides, bolt on parts don't count.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
My Flowmasters will be here Tuesday! Even my wife agrees that the exhaust note that comes stock with the SS is pretty wimpy for a muscle car. You shouldn't have a problem getting yours to agree to a new one. Also, you are not voiding the power train warranty so that may be one of her concerns.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
Nmbr1gmfan

Drives: Fast
In some states denied mods are grounds for divorce.

Last edited by Nmbr1gmfan; 11-19-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Nmbr1gmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #11
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarlos55 View Post
Never forget that forgiveness is easier to attain than permission. Florists and jewelers usually help with the forgiveness part.

A good life lesson:

Diamonds ... That'll shut her up !!!
Old 11-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #12
air1kdf

Drives: his 45th SS everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
Take her to a get together. Let her see, feel and smell the benefits of mods.

Based on your statement, I'd bet she gives you the exception when she hears an SS with modified intake and exhaust. If not, let me know and I'll approve it
Great idea, there is a local car show near here all the time. I bet there is somebody on this forum that goes to it. In Louisville towards Mt. Washington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSdude View Post
You're already halfway there..
I think so too

Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
Tell her that is like giving a kid a bowl of ice cream and telling him he can't eat it. Besides, bolt on parts don't count.
This is a definite no no. There are lots of things I can't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodj View Post
My Flowmasters will be here Tuesday! Even my wife agrees that the exhaust note that comes stock with the SS is pretty wimpy for a muscle car. You shouldn't have a problem getting yours to agree to a new one. Also, you are not voiding the power train warranty so that may be one of her concerns.
I'll point this out to her. Thanks.

I'm not a big fan of asking for forgiveness. If she's not happy, nobody's happy.

I just need to present a good case for it.

So I'm thinking get the car, hit up every car show, comment on all great exhaust sounds, tell her her hearing is awesome if she points it out. Ask her what her preference is to the exhaust note. Maybe even make a game out of pointing out exhaust notes (tons of cool cars here).
air1kdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
I have a wife and respect her decisions also. But seriously, who's car is it and who wears the pants in your house? MAN up and just do it, and don't even tell her about an exhaust. Do you tell her what she can and can't get?
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
Rage
TRI-COUNTY CAMARO... FTW!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 Cyber Grey
Just do the mods without telling her..... pay cash....no paper trail. When she asks why does it sound louder, tell her shes crazy, and that its always sounded like that. I really dont think she will notice the cold air intake either
CAI inc. cold air intake, LG G6x3 cam, Patriot Gold Extreme Dual springs, Titanium retainers and locks, LG SuperPro 1 7/8 Long Tube headers with full 3" exhaust, DynoMax VT mufflers, SLP 4" tips, Moroso catch can, Race Ready electronic exhaust cut outs, Full painted Razzi body kit, Headlight Armor Smoke taillight and marker blackouts, T-Rex aluminum upper and lower grille, Polished aluminum front and rear bowties. Professionally installed and Dyno Tuned by HorsePower Sales, Pompano Beach FL.
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote