Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 08-27-2021, 12:57 PM   #1
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Experience with track armory/painters tape

Hey guys, figured I’d post here since I’m sure this group has the most people who track their cars. I will be doing my first track day in October. I have heard that people used track armour to protect their cars while tracking. I was wondering if people here could let me know about their experiences with that product? The reason I’m asking is because I wanted to make sure it’s clear coat safe. After reading some reviews on Amazon, I’m scared now because I saw more than a handful of reviews where the clear coat got peeled off when the user took off the track armour. I wanted to see if people on this forum experienced that as well?

Does anyone know if painters tape will be fully clear coat safe? I once left some on an apartment window and I had some residue left but I think that was because it was on the window for 1+ year versus 1 day. Thanks for the help!
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:01 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i use it every time but i dont do my whole car just normally my side quarter areas my car is ceramic coated and never had any issues with it
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2021, 01:41 PM   #3
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Painters tape is safe, but one tip from my experience... if you have a wrapped hood, don't put the painters tape on it. I had my HPDE number made from painters tape on my factory vinyl wrapped hood for a 3 day event. It left a visible mark that I've finally gotten off but it took a while and several different products. And you don't really want to be scrubbing that area hard since you could damage the vinyl.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:56 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

and fyi i dont leave mine on its temporary tape so put it on day of of day before and take it off after
Old 08-27-2021, 03:00 PM   #5
m6-lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
and fyi i dont leave mine on its temporary tape so put it on day of of day before and take it off after
This is what I’m thinking happened to those people who got clear coat damage. They left it on for 1+ day. No one said they did but I would bet that’s what happened.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:10 PM   #6
kropscamaro16

same with temporary track day #s i see people leave them on for months and months i mean if i had 2 track days in same month maybe but i remove them after every day they are temporary lol
Old 08-27-2021, 08:26 PM   #7
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
If you really want to cut down on damage to the rear quarters, prevent the rocks from getting there in the first place with something like the rocker extension shown in the picture below. These were inspired by the GT500 extensions. Haven't seen a Camaro specific version yet, but this would be simple enough to make using some UHMW plastic sheet.

Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:37 PM   #8
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
If you really want to cut down on damage to the rear quarters, prevent the rocks from getting there in the first place with something like the rocker extension shown in the picture below. These were inspired by the GT500 extensions. Haven't seen a Camaro specific version yet, but this would be simple enough to make using some UHMW plastic sheet.

Looks like that design would work nicely with the zl1addons rock guards.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:43 PM   #9
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
I have the nose PPF'd with Xpel.

But since our projector headlights are stupid expensive, I use painters tape to help them.
Attached Images

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 04:50 PM   #10
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Painter's tape is not necessary thick enough to protect you from all rock chips. Temporary stuff like track armor looks bad in pictures and takes too much time to apply on a complex front bumper like the Camaro's if you track more than a few times per year. Best to cough up the money for a pro to do an Xpel wrap beforehand or just plan to eventually replace or repaint the front bumper if you track a lot and manage with touchup paint.

My unprotected front bumper has tons of rock chips from the track if you look up close but it looks fine from a few feet away.

I would recommend windshield protection film like Stek too especially if you have HUD unless you have low cost glass replacement on your insurance. OEM Camaro SS 1LE windshield replacements are around $900 installed if you have PDR and HUD. HUD may not look as good on aftermarket windshields. My windshield now has 2 cracks, several bullseye rock marks, and tons of very small chips/pitting which is only visible in direct sunlight after 20+ track days and a lot of street driving.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:22 PM   #11
m6-lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Painter's tape is not necessary thick enough to protect you from all rock chips. Temporary stuff like track armor looks bad in pictures and takes too much time to apply on a complex front bumper like the Camaro's if you track more than a few times per year. Best to cough up the money for a pro to do an Xpel wrap beforehand or just plan to eventually replace or repaint the front bumper if you track a lot and manage with touchup paint
I bought my car with 40k on it so the areas that get sand blasted are already filled with rock chips. At this point I don’t really want to ppf over areas that are already messed up. I just want to keep any new chips down on track days. When I eventually upgrade to a 1le or ZL1 I will buy lower mileage next time and ppf the car the week I buy it in the future.