#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-08-2019, 09:50 PM   #71
Firehead640
DEVLMAN

Drives: White 2018 ZL1
I'll chime in.

So I ordered a CF wing from WeaponX about 4 months ago. Seemed like a decent price, and was told(via their site) it was better or equal to OEM. No problem, lets do it!

Well, the wing arrived yesterday. Came packaged well, and looked pretty protected from any damage it could sustain during shipping.I had expected it that day, so I called my buddy up and he drove over. We ripped the OEM ZL1 spoiler off(he accidentally melted/discolored some paint with the heatgun on a stanchion while removing adhesive ) No problem, moving on.

Lined the wing up ready to drop in and "uh oh" the studs don't line up with the holes. A couple pictures below:

Well shit. I got the bolts to flex a bit and we were able to get it in, but it was tiiiiight. A lot of brute force was involved. Slapped the nuts on and slowly tightened everything down. Next problem! The toes of the stanchions don't rest on top of the trunk lid. Pictures below:

Pictures don't do it justice, simple because the lighting isn't very good. In the daylight you can clearly see the gap between the trunk lid and the toes.

I've already reached out to WeaponX, and it looks like they are set on helping me get it fixed. Their sales guy agreed that this is unacceptable, and that for the price of the product I should get a correctly fitting product. If we can't, I'm not sure what I'll end up doing in the end. The whole thing was a nightmare to get it on, and it looks like shit up close now that it is on. Half hour job turned into like 4 hours while we played with it to see if we can get it on without damaging anything. Fitment issues make me fear performance/stability issues with the wing itself, and I'm concerned about any damage to my vehicle as a result of the wing flexing or worse, ripping off somehow. I'll keep you guys updated, I'm not too keen on waiting 4 more months to get a corrected product.

Disclaimer: this isn't a post to rip on WeaponX or whoever manufactured the wing, but rather to be informative.

Last edited by Firehead640; 12-08-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Firehead640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:55 AM   #72
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehead640 View Post
I'll chime in.

So I ordered a CF wing from WeaponX about 4 months ago. Seemed like a decent price, and was told(via their site) it was better or equal to OEM. No problem, lets do it!

Well, the wing arrived yesterday. Came packaged well, and looked pretty protected from any damage it could sustain during shipping.I had expected it that day, so I called my buddy up and he drove over. We ripped the OEM ZL1 spoiler off(he accidentally melted/discolored some paint with the heatgun on a stanchion while removing adhesive ) No problem, moving on.

Lined the wing up ready to drop in and "uh oh" the studs don't line up with the holes. A couple pictures below:

Well shit. I got the bolts to flex a bit and we were able to get it in, but it was tiiiiight. A lot of brute force was involved. Slapped the nuts on and slowly tightened everything down. Next problem! The toes of the stanchions don't rest on top of the trunk lid. Pictures below:

Pictures don't do it justice, simple because the lighting isn't very good. In the daylight you can clearly see the gap between the trunk lid and the toes.

I've already reached out to WeaponX, and it looks like they are set on helping me get it fixed. Their sales guy agreed that this is unacceptable, and that for the price of the product I should get a correctly fitting product. If we can't, I'm not sure what I'll end up doing in the end. The whole thing was a nightmare to get it on, and it looks like shit up close now that it is on. Half hour job turned into like 4 hours while we played with it to see if we can get it on without damaging anything. Fitment issues make me fear performance/stability issues with the wing itself, and I'm concerned about any damage to my vehicle as a result of the wing flexing or worse, ripping off somehow. I'll keep you guys updated, I'm not too keen on waiting 4 more months to get a corrected product.

Disclaimer: this isn't a post to rip on WeaponX or whoever manufactured the wing, but rather to be informative.
Questions...

Do you think if the wing was further up or back would there be a gap in the stanchions?

I know where this wing comes from and I'm slow to pull the trigger. I would be doing a carbon trunk lid at the same time with no holes so I would have the options of probably moving it a tad back or fwd.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:26 AM   #73
Firehead640
DEVLMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
Questions...

Do you think if the wing was further up or back would there be a gap in the stanchions?

I know where this wing comes from and I'm slow to pull the trigger. I would be doing a carbon trunk lid at the same time with no holes so I would have the options of probably moving it a tad back or fwd.
I don't think so. I looked at it again this morning prior to leaving for work, contemplating opening the holes a little to allow it to slide to the rear. It looks as if there is a slight angle away from the trunk lid. It would close the gap a little, sure, but in the end there would still be significant space between the two.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:50 AM   #74
Firecaptain

Drives: '22 Summit White ZL1 A10
Isn't Weapon X the logo that is on the factory 1LE wings?
What about the gummy gasket material that the factory uses, would that take up some of that gap Firehead640?

Last edited by Firecaptain; 12-09-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Firecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #75
Firecaptain

Firehead640 were the stanchions attached or removable?
Old 12-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #76
Firehead640
DEVLMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecaptain View Post
Firehead640 were the stanchions attached or removable?

No. It is all one piece.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:06 PM   #77
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Wow.....it doesn't seem like anyone can get an aftermarket "big wing" right. And for the money......it should fit like a glove! Kinda wonder who is doing the quality control on these items. C7Carbon, WeaponX, etc, etc, etc, they all seem to be missing the boat. Don't understand why they are not using someone's ZL1 to test fit their product and get it right before going to market.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #78
PROMETHEUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecaptain View Post
Isn't Weapon X the logo that is on the factory 1LE wings?
What about the gummy gasket material that the factory uses, would that take up some of that gap Firehead640?

No, that is not WeaponX logo on the OEM wing.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:05 PM   #79
Firehead640
DEVLMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
Wow.....it doesn't seem like anyone can get an aftermarket "big wing" right. And for the money......it should fit like a glove! Kinda wonder who is doing the quality control on these items. C7Carbon, WeaponX, etc, etc, etc, they all seem to be missing the boat. Don't understand why they are not using someone's ZL1 to test fit their product and get it right before going to market.

Well, the question is here is just consistent quality. They claim to have mounted to other ZL1s no problem. That might be true, but if they don't spit out each one with everything the same, you are bound to have a few that end up off. Maybe the owner of the one they mounted to isn't as picky as me? I don't know.

But yes, you'd think that given the pricing of these items, the guys would be nailing it on the head each time.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:05 PM   #80
anukula

Drives: Camaro 2ss
Quote:
that tells me that they probably lost his order!

Are you happy with it, Anukula? Tell us about the product, your opinion of fit and finish and some pics, please!
Yes, I didn’t have any issues with it and fits perfect. Think this is third iteration and they changed lot of stuff.

I got taller stanchions and probably why my wing arrived quickly than others. However, I think smaller stanchions would be better for my taste. Talked to c7 and they said they can make a replacement for me.
anukula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:14 AM   #81
Firecaptain

This is why I thought that......

Quote:
No, that is not WeaponX logo on the OEM wing.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #82
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
X is for Xtreme

"The mammoth rear wing of the 2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE sports prominent "X" decals. It's to signify, say Chevrolet engineers, that this is the most extreme interpretation of the sixth-generation pony car. For enthusiasts who measure a car's worth by how well it romps around a racetrack, you may agree that those "X" stickers are warranted given the ZL1 1LE's Nürburgring lap time of 7:16.04."
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/review...o-zl1-preview/
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #83
PROMETHEUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehead640 View Post
Well, the question is here is just consistent quality. They claim to have mounted to other ZL1s no problem. That might be true, but if they don't spit out each one with everything the same, you are bound to have a few that end up off. Maybe the owner of the one they mounted to isn't as picky as me? I don't know.

But yes, you'd think that given the pricing of these items, the guys would be nailing it on the head each time.
GM seems to be able to get it right! I am sure WeaponX will make it right, but it is the principal of making it right/correct the first time.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:12 PM   #84
Firehead640
DEVLMAN

Quote:
GM seems to be able to get it right! I am sure WeaponX will make it right, but it is the principal of making it right/correct the first time.
I don't doubt that for a second. So far they've been attentive. I provided sufficient pictures, and I think they fully understand the issue. I can rest easy knowing that they didn't immediately blame the install on me, or expect me to know some random information. It'd be one thing if their site claimed I'd have to potentially do body work like I have seen in other places. Should be a drop in solution, and it seems as though they agree with me so far.

I should hear something tomorrow about corrective action, keep you guys updated.