Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-27-2018, 10:52 PM   #1
NM-ZR1

Lots of low mileage 2017/18 ZL1's available, Why?

I initially was going to purchase a CTS-V Coupe because of it collectable status. Instead after looking at a number of very rough one's I stumbled across a really clean and like new 2017 ZL1 with only 3k on the clock. After the test drive I was hooked, No comparison between the LSA and the LT4, I was in love with the performance and handling of this beast.

It was priced right, beautiful and so I pulled the trigger. Though the ZL1 will probably not have a desired collectability of the CTS-V Coupe its much more fun to drive and has a killer look. Plus it doesn't have the LSA's supercharger issues. (though that's not a big deal either)

I thought it was strange though at any one time there might be less then 10 CTS-V coupes around the US there would be 40plus ZL1's with little or very low mileage even though the productions numbers are not that far off.

This brings me to the next question, Why? Is it because it is so specialized that its not a good daily driver? Or maybe because of the high insurance? Perhaps its the affordability. Do people just get tired of them? I would be interested in hearing everyone's take on this. These are really great cars and I don't understand it.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:57 PM   #2
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
I actually think people find the car to much to handle. I also think people overextend themselves and have to give them up.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:36 AM   #3
Chris Edwards

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I also think people discover the impracticality and flaws of the car and they get fed up and trade them in on a truck or something more efficient. After 5000 miles on my C7 I was fed up with the rough ride, road noise, shuddering A8 trans, intermittent a/c, noisy rear diff, and lackluster "cooled" seats... I couldn't wait to unload that pos.
Chris Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:48 AM   #4
Michael2000

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Edwards View Post
I also think people discover the impracticality and flaws of the car and they get fed up and trade them in on a truck or something more efficient. After 5000 miles on my C7 I was fed up with the rough ride, road noise, shuddering A8 trans, intermittent a/c, noisy rear diff, and lackluster "cooled" seats... I couldn't wait to unload that pos.

Is the ZL1 quieter on road noise?
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:05 AM   #5
Chris Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post
Is the ZL1 quieter on road noise?
No, they are both loud. But the Camaro is easier to get in and out of, the ride is slightly better, the transmission is way better.
Chris Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:08 AM   #6
PorkchopExpress

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Garnet Red
I am someone that recently unloaded my 2018 ZL1 after 2,000 miles of driving.

At the end of the day, I just didn't love the car, and it was too impractical. It was like driving a giant angry penis around all of the time set on 11. Which is usually cool, except for the times I couldn't see out of the gun slots, which is always.

I daily drove mine, and it just got ridiculous. Trying to find parking spots in Seattle that I could squeeze in and out of with the long doors, having to open the door to operate ticket machines (and I have ape arms), having to brush up on my geometry to avoid scraping the 12 foot front end on a 2" gradient change, folding my children into origami shapes in a vain attempt to stuff them in the things they call rear seats (I have a family car, just thought it would be cool to go on a trip in the camaro... nope).

But I think the biggest thing that got me, however, was the fact that it cost me $295 for a "pre-track" inspection and oil change in order to keep my warranty on the car. Sure, I get it, it's pretty awesome to have a car that I can daily drive, then take to the track, and still retain a bad ass warranty. But track days suddenly became very expensive, not to mention the time stuck at the dealership waiting for the work to be complete. I had done a pretty complete TCO (total cost of ownership), but didn't factor that into my budget. While I could afford it, I didn't think it was worth it.

At the end of the day, a bunch of first world problems in an otherwise bad ass track machine. But on the road, it was just a bit boring and too much effort. But again, I didn't really have a lot of love for it. I am sure you guys know how it is... When you know it's the one, you can put up with a lot of bullshit. For me, it just wasn't the one, and it took me 2,000 miles to realize it.
PorkchopExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 04:17 AM   #7
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
I guess it's where you live too. I live in Houston and daily the f**k out of my Zl1 and my C7Z both of which are considered non dd cars. I also am single, no kids, and drive a whole lot so a boring car for me is out of the question. Practical in my opinion are what most run away from lol and it's the few of us that dribe these things on a regular basis even (like me modded). The cool factor comes in but the average Joe picks one up and tries it as a daily then after the newness wears off and he see's just how ridiculous it really is in real life dumps it off for something else.

Case in point- A few months ago I was dailying my g8 gxp manual (super rare car) this was before the Zl1and got popped for a street racing charge. It was my 1st time in hot water so I totally freaked out and put it up for sale the next day (I was in jail for 18 hours). I even posted my Z06 too but thankfully nobody bit on buying. My plan was to buy a new Denali diesel 2500, lift it put some 35's and a tune and call it good (no more mexico, no more fast cars ever). My g8 being it was a gxp manual sold in under a week and I instantly regretted it! I bought a brand new 2017 (leftover ) Accord V6 touring sedan didn't touch the vette and was good........ for about 2 months and absolutely hated life. I sold my Accord touring with under 3k miles and bought the Zl1 lol. My case was reversed but I think most ppl who dump them off early are like me but the other way around like I was with the Honda.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:32 AM   #8
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Only people that have sold theirs can answer. As for me and my house we will have fast cars.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:40 AM   #9
1roadking

Drives: 2017 ZL1 silver A10
I am the opposite! I bought my 2017 ZL1 as a 2nd car June of last year and drive it way more then I thought I would lol. I just bought a 2018 Raptor and was going to sell the car and go back to 1, but after not driving it for a month I missed it so much I couldn’t sell it. Once you get use to the driving position and visibility it’s actuall super easy to drive and all sporty cars are going to be a pain in the ass at ATM and ticket machines, I actually find the ground clearance great as well, I live on a dirt road and also have to drive over speed bumps and have never touched down. The car is not a family car and as long as you understand that you are gonna be one happy dude. It’s the only toy I have ever had that I’m completely satisfied with. It’s just edgy enough to be bad ass and refined enough in touring mode to be enjoyable at any pace.
1roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:42 AM   #10
Zap city

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE, MN6, SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkchopExpress View Post
It was like driving a giant angry penis around all of the time set on 11.
Excellence right there. GM should quote this in their marketing materials LMAO.
Zap city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:46 AM   #11
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
I actually think people find the car to much to handle. I also think people overextend themselves and have to give them up.
I agree on the first part here. That LT4 is a lot more than a lot of people can handle.
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:51 AM   #12
SammyDog

Drives: 2018 Zl1 Vert A10
I would not have bought the car if it was to be a daily driver. I know that some folks do it and they are fine with it. Others may have realized that it is not ideal for that. The ZL1 is way more specialized than say a Mustang GT (I've had 2 and my son 1).

The Zl1 is comfortable enough, but here in Florida in summer the streets can get flooded at a moment's notice. The rims of the ZL1 are way too exposed for driving and parking around town (potholes, parking bumpers out of place...). Most parking lots are optimized for compact cars and like someone pointed out, the doors are large. The cost of the tires and their short lifespan, anyway...And there is the frustration of having this much power for just trudging along in traffic.

A truck is my daily driver. It got me out of troubles many times when there was a foot of water on the road, and was even OK after I hit a curb once or twice - it happens.

It is a great week-end toy however. I plan to keep mine forever and pass it on.
SammyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #13
mdmoore23

Only good excuse I could see is financial reasons or thinking it would be good a daily driver and quickly finding out otherwise. I've hopped around on cars a lot over the last 7 years or so. I went from 03 Cobra to 08 Z06 to 13 GT500 to C7 Z51 to BMW 428i to 16 Challenger Hellcat to my current ZL1. I have a little over 6k miles on the ZL1. That's more than I put on any of those cars before I got rid of them. This car is in a league of it's own right now as far as price vs. performance. And being that I am traditionally one of those people, this is saying a lot. But really, most of the sports cars that show back up on the used market usually have relatively low miles.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #14
Apex_Missing_Ape

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkchopExpress View Post
It was like driving a giant angry penis around all of the time set on 11.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap city View Post
Excellence right there. GM should quote this in their marketing materials LMAO.
haha I got a kick out of that, too, and immediately thought of Idiocracy:
Attached Images

Apex_Missing_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote