Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-08-2019, 05:08 PM   #1
HyperspaceTurd

Drives: 17 1SS 6MT, 09 Tacoma TRD Sport
Do your nannies turn themselves ON, suddenly, on course ever?[UPDATED W/VIDZ]

I have done around 100 time attack runs (the series I do is basically a combo of track and auto-x) with my 1SS and it has happened to me twice. IT happened to me on my second to last run yesterday. VERY annoying and the video does not show me brushing the nanny button or anything that might seem like I did it unconsciously. I'm usually very conscious of it because I'm significantly faster with everything disabled.

Do I need a software update or something like that? Is there some kind of "OH CRAP" state you can induce with aggressive driving? I think I have an earlier production 2017 model.

I'm running 305 RE71Rs on all four corners so the car does have a lot of grip.

Last edited by HyperspaceTurd; 04-09-2019 at 09:30 PM.
HyperspaceTurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:14 PM   #2
Slaloms

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
If cruise control is still turned on, even if speed not set, pushing any related button on steering wheel will turn stability control back on.

This should be the only explanation unless something is wrong with your particular vehicle.
Slaloms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:33 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
nope never happen to me but my first track day my knee pad came off and kept hitting the stupid rev match paddle on the wheels...wish those were in a different spot
Old 04-08-2019, 10:30 PM   #4
HyperspaceTurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaloms View Post
If cruise control is still turned on, even if speed not set, pushing any related button on steering wheel will turn stability control back on.

This should be the only explanation unless something is wrong with your particular vehicle.

OOOH!

Noice catch man! I was using cruise heavily on the way to the event...
Old 04-09-2019, 06:21 AM   #5
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaloms View Post

Would have never guessed that ↑↑↑ Got to be useful information just to have, so thanks.

My first thought would have been that the ABS had kicked in earlier in the run.

Norm
Old 04-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #6
HyperspaceTurd

Big thanks to Slaloms. Reviewing video I had my palm over the button cluster on the left side of the wheel where the set +/- buttons are during the beginning of the offending run. Subsequent run I shuffled my hands a little differently and all was clear, nannies stayed off. Sure as hell seems like Slaloms nailed it.

I'm really glad I asked here instead of worrying about some emerging intermittent electrical fault. The worst kind...
Old 04-09-2019, 09:07 PM   #7
HyperspaceTurd

Here's run 3 where my hand hits a CC button I THINK-look at my hands on turn 1, the first long right sweeper after the start:
https://youtu.be/E6wH5jUm4a4

Here's run 4 where all is gravy, look at the hands on turn 1:
https://youtu.be/kJL2jYvkLJ8

Sorry about the blown out quality! I'll post a vid from dash cam soon that shows the course real good on run 4.

Run 4 from dash cam. Now y'all can see where I'm going lol
https://youtu.be/-ffzVRKXLR4

Last edited by HyperspaceTurd; 04-09-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:39 PM   #8
rexinthecity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
I've been researching this since Monday actually.

I had mine come on during a track day at Cresson. My car was in track mode with TC and stabilitrak off. I was fine the first two laps but after that I started getting service stabilitrak/tc errors and after a few more laps a lot of beeping to go along with it. I would also hear a grinding/rubbing noise in tight turns after it came back on. If I back off on the steering wheel a bit the noise would go away. I'm wondering if it was stabilitrak trying to correct things?

Really glad I came across this post. Everything I'd found so far was related to stabilitrak in GM trucks turning itself back on once you drive over 35mph.

I don't normally use cruise control so I don't think it was on but I'm definitely going to check that out when I get the car back together.
rexinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #9
2fullgarage
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2018 SS Vert
I ran a tight course in Atlanta 2 weeks ago (summit Motorama). On Saturday no errors on the dash. Sunday Stabilitrak, ABS and traction control lights would kick on my late day runs. Errors cleared on their own but I cleared with a cheap reader anyway.

Yesterday I ran SCCA tight course at Daytona and got service stabillitrack on 2 of the turns.

Me and the guys contribute it to the stock GY F1s have had enough and the computer can't correct (27k and some tread but they have been abused)

2fullgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #10
Stanimal

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
nope never happen to me but my first track day my knee pad came off and kept hitting the stupid rev match paddle on the wheels...wish those were in a different spot
Sorry, but I am having a hell of a time trying to picture that scenario!
Stanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #11
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanimal View Post
Sorry, but I am having a hell of a time trying to picture that scenario!
At first I was like you scratching my head but then I realized that its two separate things. His pad fell off and then he also kept hitting the paddles with something else.
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #12
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexinthecity View Post
I've been researching this since Monday actually.

I had mine come on during a track day at Cresson. My car was in track mode with TC and stabilitrak off. I was fine the first two laps but after that I started getting service stabilitrak/tc errors and after a few more laps a lot of beeping to go along with it. I would also hear a grinding/rubbing noise in tight turns after it came back on. If I back off on the steering wheel a bit the noise would go away. I'm wondering if it was stabilitrak trying to correct things?

Really glad I came across this post. Everything I'd found so far was related to stabilitrak in GM trucks turning itself back on once you drive over 35mph.

I don't normally use cruise control so I don't think it was on but I'm definitely going to check that out when I get the car back together.
This wouldn't be related to cruise control re-enable. If you're getting service messages and lights popping up, head to the dealer to get the DTCs read. There is something else on the car that is failing and causing TC/ESC to turn back on. There are lots of failures that can cause ESC/TC to turn back on, so there's no good way to troubleshoot without reading DTCs unless you know of something else that's broken already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fullgarage View Post
I ran a tight course in Atlanta 2 weeks ago (summit Motorama). On Saturday no errors on the dash. Sunday Stabilitrak, ABS and traction control lights would kick on my late day runs. Errors cleared on their own but I cleared with a cheap reader anyway.

Yesterday I ran SCCA tight course at Daytona and got service stabillitrack on 2 of the turns.

Me and the guys contribute it to the stock GY F1s have had enough and the computer can't correct (27k and some tread but they have been abused)
Having lights and messages pop up like that is a sign that something is wrong with a vehicle like a damaged sensor or complete lack of response from one of the control systems. Bald/old tires, while not great from a performance perspective, will still give some level of wheel speed control and shouldn't set messages like this on their own. Cheap OBD scanners won't pick up or clear any codes for this system, either. You'll want to go to a dealer or shop with a scanner that can read DTCs from the electronic brake control module. Even though the lights went away, the code history should still be there to make sure you don't have some sort of intermittent electrical failure.