Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #57
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
GM doesn’t need to put the LT5 tp beat the 500. They can add a 2300 SC and better fuel system and make easily 730 so that the camaro doesn’t top the ZR1. The extra cost for GM would be minimal like an extra 7k, since they are just replacing the 1700 SC for a 2300 and the current fuel system for a more efficient one. They would have to sell it at a premium like 80k bc at 75k no one would buy the ZLE anymore. Even if they sold it at 85k I would be in line to buy.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:02 AM   #58
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Surely the LT4 isnt maxed out. A larger blower on an LT4 would be easier and cheaper than dumping in the LT5 I am sure. Maybe GM can't get the needed reliability that route or something? I am not sure, but for a novice like me that seems way more plausible than an LT5 Camaro.
The LT4 is pretty well balanced engine from the factory. While the block and internals are good to ~1000hp or so (50% design factor of safety). The rest of what we would normally consider typical "bolt-on" replaceable components don't have more than ~10-20% headroom. You can't pick up much more than 50hp by upgrading just one bolt-on component. There's no single magic button or weak link, so to speak. You gotta get 'em all, Ash.

The LT5 is a LT4 with a larger blower. And it comes with all the other necessary components to make the bigger blower work (heads, cam, intake/TB, exhaust, and most important: fuel). LT5 also has an upgraded crank (probably to keep the same 50% FOS headroom for long term reliability). And likewise if you put a Maggie or Eforce 2650 blower on the LT4 you'll be upgrading most the rest of the hardware to make it work: H/C/I/E and most important: F at least.

Since multiple fuels (meth) aren't feasible from the factory, GM went with the PFI rails on the LT5 due to DI injector size/squirt/cost limitations.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #59
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I’m interested to see if the Ford engine will be durable and hold up in the long run!
Old 07-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #60
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I’m interested to see if the Ford engine will be durable and hold up in the long run!
Yeah hopefully ford has all the piston slap, ticking, etc. issues fixed by now.

I'm interested to see if enough GT500s will actually make it out into the market in sufficient numbers instead of being sucked up into the Staluppi/Hendrick et. al. museum collections to actually get reasonable statistics for whether they're reliable at all...
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #61
sv340

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
GM is a car company. It's not like they can't do what it takes to install the LT5 in a . . . car.

I don't want to see GM take it on the chin again and not meet/beat the GT500's power rating (bragging rights and all).

So the Camaro has a solid 3 years left. Do you think they will just leave the ZL1 as is?
I don't see them changing out engines on a car that doesn't sell real well, that is slated to end in three years and if it isn't already in the works would take at least a year to make it happen resulting in a max of 2 years of sales. They own the high end side of the sports car market from a performance standpoint (perhaps not the drag strip portion of it short of the COPO). I don't see them putting another explanation point on the end of that sentence. GM has shown they have no problem letting the Gen 6 ride as is into the sunset if not the entire Camaro program itself. They would not sell enough of the repowered cars to recover the cost, likely not even close. Done well it would make for a great collector car at some point. Now maybe if they duct tapes some 9V batteries to it somewhere, that would get some beancounter attention.
sv340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:43 AM   #62
MikeEM1

Drives: Tracks: 18' ZL1 1LE
Look at the past for answers. LS9 was only used in C6 ZR1. It will probably be the same for LT5 C7 ZR1. Just my thoughts.
AWE Track w/PLP
APR GTC300 wing / Singular Endplates
ASC Splitter / PA tunnels
MFR Engineering Custom Diffuser
Race Louvers Fender Vents
APEX SM10 & ARC8

For sale: 2018 OEM ZL1 1LE Wing

12' Nissan GT-R SOLD
MikeEM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #63
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
The LT4 is pretty well balanced engine from the factory. While the block and internals are good to ~1000hp or so (50% design factor of safety). The rest of what we would normally consider typical "bolt-on" replaceable components don't have more than ~10-20% headroom. You can't pick up much more than 50hp by upgrading just one bolt-on component. There's no single magic button or weak link, so to speak. You gotta get 'em all, Ash.

The LT5 is a LT4 with a larger blower. And it comes with all the other necessary components to make the bigger blower work (heads, cam, intake/TB, exhaust, and most important: fuel). LT5 also has an upgraded crank (probably to keep the same 50% FOS headroom for long term reliability). And likewise if you put a Maggie or Eforce 2650 blower on the LT4 you'll be upgrading most the rest of the hardware to make it work: H/C/I/E and most important: F at least.

Since multiple fuels (meth) aren't feasible from the factory, GM went with the PFI rails on the LT5 due to DI injector size/squirt/cost limitations.

Thank you for the much needed education!!
Old 07-05-2019, 11:51 AM   #64
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
They already have the emissions certification for the LT5. Putting it in the engine bay of the Camaro is not a big deal. They may have to stamp a different hood for the car but big whoop, that's what manufacturers do. They can easily built a stronger differential (just a matter of sourcing from a supplier) and the A10 is stout enough to handle the power. This is not rocket science guys.
I can't figure why some don't like the idea of a better power train and a car which isn't particularly designed to go in circles. They will sell every single LT5 Camaro they can build as soon as they are built. A couple Demon type TV commercials and it is done.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:51 AM   #65
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yes I too think the LT5 will be an exclusive engine to the Corvette ZR1. Chevy might be using it for future engine developments for the other GM car and truck lines like in the past years.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #66
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
They already have the emissions certification for the LT5. Putting it in the engine bay of the Camaro is not a big deal. They may have to stamp a different hood for the car but big whoop, that's what manufacturers do. They can easily built a stronger differential (just a matter of sourcing from a supplier) and the A10 is stout enough to handle the power. This is not rocket science guys.
I can't figure why some don't like the idea of a better power train and a car which isn't particularly designed to go in circles. They will sell every single LT5 Camaro they can build as soon as they are built.
I don't think anyone is against it or has said they don't like the idea. Any nahsayers just don't think it is plausible, me included, but we ALL like the idea I thought anyway haha.

An LT5 Camaro would be the most expensive Camaro ever, and I believe GM is too scared after the Z28, and as has been mentioned, GM seems content leaving the Camaro as is for this generation.

I think all the naysayers hopw we are wrong, and an LT5 Camaro becomes a reality. I agree, everyone built would sell.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:15 PM   #67
vy427

Drives: '21 ZL1 A10 Convertible
If GM drops the LT5 in the ZL1, they’ll have quite a few pissed off ZR1 owners. Having that special engine (however closely related) is a large part of the ZR1’s allure and plays a significant role in justifying all that extra money. A bumped-up LT4 would help close the gap to the GT500, while not ruffling any feathers.
vy427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:53 PM   #68
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
As I mentioned before, I was doubtful that GM would do something like this. But mainly because I thought they would not have enough time to make it work. That was when the 7th Gen was thought to be coming out for 2021/2022 MY. Now that the 7th Gen has been put on hold for now and the 6th Gen will be around until about 2023/2024, I do think they have the time to get this out on the streets. I'm not saying it will be an overnight thing. And I'm not saying it will be an exact "LT5". I'm saying they have plenty of time to get this going and it COULD be a LT5...or it could be some variant of the LT5. Maybe a lower output version that puts out 710, 725, something around there. We all know the Camaro does not need the same HP as the GT500 to match it. Anyway a 710-730 HP version of the LT5 or even a higher output LT4 in a ZL1 for $70K MSRP would be a great deal. And maybe in a limited production with even less ZLEs.

Also I do think it would sell since people will see it as the last Camaro. There are plenty of us ZL1 owners who would trade in for this if it were priced low compared to the RE and GT500. I know I said I would not be buying another Camaro. But if this thing was a reality and if it offered a slightly different style that visually set it apart from even the ZL1 and if it offered some really good options then I would buy it. I'd keep my current ZL1 tho.

So despite all the numbers, I do think it is a possibility even if it does not come to fruition. A 700+ HP figure for less than $74K would attract many buyers even from the Ford camp. I think it is quite possible even if it does not really happen.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:18 PM   #69
JD2018_ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
GM doesn’t need to put the LT5 tp beat the 500. They can add a 2300 SC and better fuel system and make easily 730 so that the camaro doesn’t top the ZR1. The extra cost for GM would be minimal like an extra 7k, since they are just replacing the 1700 SC for a 2300 and the current fuel system for a more efficient one. They would have to sell it at a premium like 80k bc at 75k no one would buy the ZLE anymore. Even if they sold it at 85k I would be in line to buy.
Isn’t that what the lt5 is? A larger blower, a upgraded fuel system(port injection and DI)
JD2018_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:29 PM   #70
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
I can't figure why some don't like the idea of a better power train and a car which isn't particularly designed to go in circles. They will sell every single LT5 Camaro they can build as soon as they are built. A couple Demon type TV commercials and it is done.
I honestly don’t think the 6th Gen Camaro is the right market for this mentality at all. It’s not a muscle car, despite how many times it’s been inappropriately dubbed as one. To that end, if I was in the market for a car that was a straight line performer, which heaven forbid that ever happens, I wouldn’t consider a Camaro of any generation, let alone the 6th.

I don’t understand the need to keep up with the Jones’s when it comes to horsepower in a factory application, especially when the conversation of the current Dodge lineup of cars are brought up. I do not see the Challenger and Charger as direct competition for the Camaro, nor the Mustang. The Mustang is the last standing Pony car, where the Camaro used to reside. The Challenger and Charger are more appropriately muscle cars and embody that persona completely—big, heavy cars, straight line prowess, sub par turning. The Camaro is now a sports car and to that end, the last thing that catches my attention about its performance metrics, are it’s straight line numbers.

To the point at hand, if GM were to drop an LT5 into this generation of Camaro, there absolutely has to be a narrative that follows it. Just saying that it’s a new and improved ZL1 would trigger a ton of previous ZL1 owners and piss off even more ZR1 owners. As previously mentioned, historically the ZR1 engine has not found its way into the Camaro. Now sure, they could update the supercharger now that the C7 is dead and that might offer them some more room to close the gap. I think if they found a way to shave a few pounds off of the car and also added a 2300 blower, per se, then you could satisfy both camps of people who want more power (just because of bragging rights) and still maintain your track prowess.

I think GM did a lot of brand reshaping to move this car away from the old mullet-mobile image that they had previously and into a more respectable category. It would be a damn shame if they decided to add something like an LT5 to the car, or even a new supercharger, just to make some straight line only bs.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote