Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-23-2021, 09:45 AM   #1
erinheit451

Drives: 2016 SS Camaro
Troubleshooting MyLink Display

I'm troubleshooting the Mylink system on my 2016 SS. After a phase of glitching where the audio intermittently cut out, radio controls on the steering wheel stopped working, then slow screen boot up over 2 days the system is now just a black screen. Audio doesn't work. (No even the blinker sound or other chimes).

The backup camera does work. So the LCD is working when prompted by that system. I'm trying to determine if this is a head unit issue or HMI issue

Troubleshooting steps so far:
1. Disconnected battery for 10 mins and reconnected
2. Pulled and put back in the F16 fuse from the trunk box
3. Disconnected battery for 8 hours
4. Checked head unit's wires for loose connections

Next planned steps:
1. Replacing the F16 fuse. (It looks intact but might as well)
2. Remove the under glove box panel and inspect the HMI unit for loose wires or obvious problems

Assuming none of that works. Is my next steps to replace the HMI unit?
And if that works, does that mean I trip to the dealer to reflash the HMI to match my car's VIN?

This is my first post, thanks in advance for your input.
erinheit451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:02 PM   #2
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
the head unit is just a display and touch screen. No other real logic goes on there. It connects to the hmi module under the dash.

the hmi is where mylink lives so if it's not working (and it sounds like it's not) then that's what needs replacing and that requires a dealership or gen5diy (which is expensive). Both are going to be expensive for you though because i doubt you're under warranty still and this module is not cheap and you have no chance of pulling one from a junkyard and using it instead.

But definitely check the wires (and try loading everything up with the USB cable disconnected that goes to the arm rest).

i wouldn't rule out the usb hub you have in the center console arm rest area going bad and causing electrical issues with the hmi module (and hopefully not something permanent). That's was known back in the day for some people to short out and even melt.

obviously, disconnect anything you have plugged in anywhere before any of this trouble shooting. But you'll probably be on the hook for a new hmi. (likely close to a grand)
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, display, lcd, mylink, stereo