Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 07-21-2021, 08:44 PM   #1
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Help me decide what tires to buy

Finally got around driving the ZL1 in a good mountain drive. The GY Supercar 3 are simply amazing. Never ever once did i feel the car was going to slide or even heard the tires make noises or flex on turns. I have had Hankooks in the past and the simply are not the good. I have them on my C6 and you can hear/feel the tire slide when push hard. It feels unsafe at time.

So the question is what to buy for my upcoming ZLE wheels? I hear great reviews on continental and Michelin PS4. The price different is somewhat significant so which one should I choose? How are the continental compared to the GY Supercar 3? How are the Michelin PS4 compared to the GY?

Should I just stick to the GY and get a new set in the 29" size? From what I see, one can get about 8k to possibly 10k miles on a set. I won't daily drive the car but might take long cruises from time to time. Maybe 2 to 3 times a year if so.. car probably will no see more than 4k miles a year. How bad as the GY on the rain or colder weather?
Old 07-22-2021, 06:48 AM   #2
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Ive had both on my 1LE the SC3 and the ExtremeContact Sport. the SC3 hydroplanes and is flat out dangerous in the rain or standing water. The ECS is much better in rain. The SC3 was fantastic hot/dry conditions. The ECS feels like (to me) a soft sidewall and it rolls over and/or takes a second for it to bite, feels like the front end has a push in it with this tire. I've not been yet able to delve in to the front end alignment, I have at last check was all green (in spec, but not max camber setting) in the 1LE alignment table. I want to try the track alignment.
I really like the ECS it better, and worse, than the SC3.

I do not track these tires, this is my subjective opinions of running them hard on the street and back country roads.

I would rather have the SC3 on the car now.

The PS4 was more $$$ than I wanted to spend at the time and I can't give an opinion on them.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:30 AM   #3
Wuiquen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
Ive had both on my 1LE the SC3 and the ExtremeContact Sport. the SC3 hydroplanes and is flat out dangerous in the rain or standing water. The ECS is much better in rain. The SC3 was fantastic hot/dry conditions. The ECS feels like (to me) a soft sidewall and it rolls over and/or takes a second for it to bite, feels like the front end has a push in it with this tire. I've not been yet able to delve in to the front end alignment, I have at last check was all green (in spec, but not max camber setting) in the 1LE alignment table. I want to try the track alignment.
I really like the ECS it better, and worse, than the SC3.

I do not track these tires, this is my subjective opinions of running them hard on the street and back country roads.

I would rather have the SC3 on the car now.

The PS4 was more $$$ than I wanted to spend at the time and I can't give an opinion on them.
Thanks.. yeah I think that's kinda soft feeling is what I was talking about that i don't like compare to the SC3. The SC3 feels solid but I guess the wet capabilities could be a problem
Old 07-22-2021, 10:26 AM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
if you dont track it and its a daily or even weekend fun car michelin ps4s are great
Old 07-22-2021, 12:12 PM   #5
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I was a little disappointed in the ECS in that it has this "sport plus technology" that they parade as a stiffer sidewall and I'm just not impressed. That SC3 would just turn in and go and I can't stand the push that the car has on the front end now.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:28 PM   #6
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
For street driving, MPS4S is king, Conti ECS is a close second. Everything else is a compromise.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:37 PM   #7
Wuiquen

ok so got it. either PS4 or ECS for the street. So how do the ECS compare to the PS4?
Old 07-26-2021, 12:37 AM   #8
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Check out the reviews on Tirerack. I've always seen it as the PS4S are in a league of their own, and the ECS and older PSS are about the same.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:27 AM   #9
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
How bad as the GY on the rain or colder weather?
The GYSC3s are amazing fair weather tires. Unbeatable for the money on warm dry surfaces. They start to lose grip below 60F, and in the rain they will try to kill you.

MPS4S are great all-rounders and have excellent grip in the rain. So much so you'll think you're on dry pavement. But you'll pay for that wet performace.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:21 AM   #10
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
The GYSC3s are amazing fair weather tires... and in the rain they will try to kill you.
There's a great recommendation if ever I saw one.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote