Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-19-2021, 07:23 PM   #1
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
Looking for a retained accessory power source

First let me describe the situation.

I am planning to remove the kick panel in the passenger footwell in order to connect an accessory to the radio control module. I need this accessory to remain on for as long as the radio is on after I shut down the engine. I am trying to find a retained accessory power source, which is a wire that retains power after engine shutdown for about 10 mins or until a door is opened.

Can someone point me towards a wire, preferably in the passenger footwell that provides retained accessory power? Ideally I would like to tap on one of the wires on the harness plugs that connect to the radio control module, as I believe that one of them should definitely be a retained accessory power source. Anyone knows which wire I can use?

Thank you in advance folks. I really appreciate any input and help provided.

Last edited by MakCamaro; 06-21-2021 at 03:15 AM.
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:54 AM   #2
MakCamaro
Makis

Is there really no one who can provide some info on the above? I went through the service manual and I couldn't get an answer either, as it seems that the radio isn't powered directly through a retained accessory power wire, but through "serial signals" from the BCM. I understand that there is also some other pieces of Human Interface Equipment screwed or clipped onto the kick panel, so maybe I could use a wire from one of those?

I would really appreciate some help from someone with relevant experience.

Last edited by MakCamaro; 06-21-2021 at 03:13 AM.
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:04 AM   #3
yelloiroc

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
I tagged the Power Outlet wire in the center console. It was too difficult to meter other wires as the RAP kept almost every circuit alive which made it hard to determine if the power was switched or constant.
yelloiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:01 AM   #4
MakCamaro
Makis

Thanks yelloiroc. I found an older thread and I searched the service manual and it seems that pin 12 (GY/VT wire) on the black connector on the driver's side under the steering column is the retained accessory power relay coil control. Therefore I suppose that this wire could also be what I am looking for?
Old 06-21-2021, 12:54 PM   #5
yelloiroc

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Not super sure on that one. The fused circuit might be low amperage. the 12-volt acc. in the console has a decent amperage. Shouldn't be too brutal in a manual car. My automatic was tricky with getting the shifter are apart but I was able to tag the wire with the shifter still intact. If you shift the car into drive it should allow you enough access to the cable but you will need to unplug the connector blind.
yelloiroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 04:40 PM   #6
MakCamaro
Makis

Thank you for the advice yelloiroc. Actually I checked both:

- Fuse #18 in the front fuse box that powers the Transmission Shift Lever Position Indicator (GY/VT wire, pin #12 on the black connector on the driver's side under the steering column)

- Fuse CB2 in the rear fuse box that powers a) the Accessory Power Receptacle on the center console, b) the Mobile Device Wireless Charger Module and c) the Keyless Entry Control Module

Both fuses are 15A. I suppose I can use any of these two wires as a retained accessory power source, without causing an issue.