Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #127
Blackzl1Cam

Drives: 2019 BLACK ZL1
So i have read every post her and enjoyed all of them. Let me rephrase the question with senero. I too am wanting to buy a m6 ZL1 .I am 50 and havent had a camaro in a long time. I live in western Kansas so no big city driving unless i go to Denver or Wichita.
#1) you are on a 2 lane highway and come up on a car to pass in a m6. You have to wait till the on coming car passes so you down shift and then when it passes you hit it and pass the slow car in fort and get the thrill from the power. Does the a10 give you that same feeling?
#2) you are entering the ramp onto the interstate with a slow car in front and heavy traffic coming so you hold steady in a gear till you get to the interstate and punch it and fly by him and beat the traffic to stay out in front?
#3) your at the lite and a riceburner with it noisemaker pulls up next to you and want to see what you have, your telling me in a m6 I just need to hold the brake or put it in neutral, then floor it real quick to get in into track mode shifting to smoke him off the line? Then if in a m6 i will be fighting the power / bog in first gear to get out in front right away to show this riceburner up?
I too want the feel and control of a m6, mine would be a daily driver also. But i do want to show off the balls the ZL1 has without embarrassing myself. The a10 sounds so attractive but unfortunately i have to drive to a big city to even see a zl1, let alone get the dealer to let me drive one. So i am doing research myself to buy used from a private party. I get it is all on how i feel , but those are the kinda things i think about when driving and having fun.
Blackzl1Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #128
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
All I can tell you is get the ZL1 that you want that makes you happy and puts a big smile on your face when you are out driving and rowing thru the gears!��
Old 12-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #129
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackzl1Cam View Post
So i have read every post her and enjoyed all of them. Let me rephrase the question with senero. I too am wanting to buy a m6 ZL1 .I am 50 and havent had a camaro in a long time. I live in western Kansas so no big city driving unless i go to Denver or Wichita.
#1) you are on a 2 lane highway and come up on a car to pass in a m6. You have to wait till the on coming car passes so you down shift and then when it passes you hit it and pass the slow car in fort and get the thrill from the power. Does the a10 give you that same feeling?
Yes, you can hard-tap the accelerator once, and the car will enter performance shift mode and down shift to a lower gear that keeps revs high. Also, you can down shift as you please with the steering wheel paddles.

Quote:
#2) you are entering the ramp onto the interstate with a slow car in front and heavy traffic coming so you hold steady in a gear till you get to the interstate and punch it and fly by him and beat the traffic to stay out in front?
Yes, same as above - but even if you don't go into performance shift mode, you will have 650HP/TQ.

Quote:
#3) your at the lite and a riceburner with it noisemaker pulls up next to you and want to see what you have, your telling me in a m6 I just need to hold the brake or put it in neutral, then floor it real quick to get in into track mode shifting to smoke him off the line? Then if in a m6 i will be fighting the power / bog in first gear to get out in front right away to show this riceburner up?
I too want the feel and control of a m6, mine would be a daily driver also. But i do want to show off the balls the ZL1 has without embarrassing myself. The a10 sounds so attractive but unfortunately i have to drive to a big city to even see a zl1, let alone get the dealer to let me drive one. So i am doing research myself to buy used from a private party. I get it is all on how i feel , but those are the kinda things i think about when driving and having fun.
I believe you meant to write A10 to start your sentence. No need to go into neutral on the A10, just accelerate a bit and press the brakes... then, let go off brakes as you accelerate. Ricer will likely be in your rear view.

The perceived bog in the M6 can be minimized with some mods (throttle body, intake, TB controller, etc) and some have reported that it can be eliminated with the proper tune.
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:54 PM   #130
RSV4_Racer25

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
#1 and #2 - With the A10 if you desire you can quickly press the throttle to the floor and let off it will place you in performance shift mode for about 5-8 seconds giving you time to allow oncoming cars to get out of the way. Your RPM's will be in the optimal curve for acceleration. Honestly though it takes milliseconds to downshift. I haven't lost any time in "Mexico" launching on 3 honks from a roll.

#3 - With the A10 from a stop, there is no bog IMO. I have cut 1.74 60ft on stock tires, completely 100% stock at the drag strip (11.4 @ 126 was my best run - 2100DA). This may be an issue on the street though because it is not prepped. You will spin, however I have got a 3.4 0-60 on the car's performance tracking within the infotainment unit on a nice 90 deg day with new supercar 3's on a paved road.

I come from the import scene with a 2015 STI with 450whp on an upgraded turbo and FMIC which is a manual trans only car (12.0 @ 119 mph). I love manual's more than automatics but I purchased an A10 ZL1 with no regrets. I don't feel as I lost any connection with the car on the drag strip or road course.
RSV4_Racer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:45 PM   #131
VADER332

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE / 2014 Ford Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Recent automatic transmission, specially DCTs are faster to shift than any human is able to shift a manual transmission.
If you like to shift your own, you would miss it if you upgrade to an automatic transmission, that happened to me, and went back to manual.

Automatic=faster at the track
Manual T= more driving involvement feeling
Well said. I had an E46 M3, SMG pump went up. I converted it to a 6 speed manual, loved it. Sold that for a A8 Camaro 2SS. I missed the M6 so I traded the 2SS in on the ZL1 1LE M6. Neither car was a DD, I still love to drive stick so I will probable have at least one manual car until they stop making them.
VADER332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #132
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSV4_Racer25 View Post
I come from the import scene with a 2015 STI with 450whp on an upgraded turbo and FMIC which is a manual trans only car (12.0 @ 119 mph). I love manual's more than automatics but I purchased an A10 ZL1 with no regrets. I don't feel as I lost any connection with the car on the drag strip or road course.
..and then there are posts like this.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:04 AM   #133
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
I previously only owned manual cars, then somehow I ended up owning both GM performance automatics at the same time. I will say this, which doesn't help anybody make a decision I know, there are many pros and cons for each.

As we all know, the automatics do EVERYTHING better than the manuals except for engagement. Think about that though. Waiting in traffic, in line for cars and coffee, racing a Mustang/Hellcat in Mexico, etc. the automatic does better. The manuals are a lot of fun and the active rev match adds to the fun factor if you care to use it. You truly cannot go wrong and do not mistake the A10 for any other slush box available on the market before it.

There are times I wish my Z06 and ZL1 were manuals, sure. But I can't help but like how brutally fast the ZL1 is when paired with the A10 and how awesome it drives. It thinks for you, downshifts instantaneously, etc. Both transmissions have their place, but if you can only pick one, I would go A10 again.

Perfect solution: Get a A10 ZL1 and a project car that's a stick to scratch the manual itch.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #134
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
I think it would be almost impossible to reach below 9s passes in a M6. Watch the netfix show fastest car season 2 and chic in an old 97 body mustang w a manual loses the last race by fender to a Mclaren 720s. So it gives me hope that a m6 can be fast with the right setup. if your going for the argument of the BOG it can be tuned out like mine.

As far as most road courses the car stays in 3rd 90% of the time on the track i use.

Another factor is when it comes to modding I'd say it be the cheaper route vs trans tuning, stalls, and rebuilding.

either setup is great its just what you prefer!

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #135
ZLJeffrey

Drives: '19 ZL1 A10, '09 CTS-V, '09 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
You truly cannot go wrong and do not mistake the A10 for any other slush box available on the market before it.

There are times I wish my Z06 and ZL1 were manuals, sure. But I can't help but like how brutally fast the ZL1 is when paired with the A10 and how awesome it drives.
I strongly agree, the A10 is awesome!

What do you think of the A8 in your Z06?
ZLJeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:22 AM   #136
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLJeffrey View Post
I strongly agree, the A10 is awesome.

What do you think of the A8 in your Z06?
It possesses much of the same qualities as the A10, but the A10 does everything just a little bit better. Reacts a bit quicker, shifts a bit sharper with the paddles, etc. but still people hate on the A8 way too much. It's more than adequate; in fact, if nobody had ever driven the A10 transmission, it likely would still be the best torque converter auto out there. That said, the M7 in the Z06 with its lack of bog and extra gear means that my ruling is: Z06 = M7, ZL1 = A10.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:06 AM   #137
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
There are times I wish my Z06 and ZL1 were manuals, sure. But I can't help but like how brutally fast the ZL1 is when paired with the A10 and how awesome it drives. It thinks for you, downshifts instantaneously, etc. Both transmissions have their place, but if you can only pick one, I would go A10 again.

Perfect solution: Get a A10 ZL1 and a project car that's a stick to scratch the manual itch.
When that Mustang pulls up next to you, and hits the pedal. You already know that by the time you down shift, the whole thing will be over.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #138
ZLJeffrey

Quote:
It possesses much of the same qualities as the A10, but the A10 does everything just a little bit better. Reacts a bit quicker, shifts a bit sharper with the paddles, etc. but still people hate on the A8 way too much. It's more than adequate; in fact, if nobody had ever driven the A10 transmission, it likely would still be the best torque converter auto out there. That said, the M7 in the Z06 with its lack of bog and extra gear means that my ruling is: Z06 = M7, ZL1 = A10.
Your A8 does not shudder?
Old 12-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #139
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLJeffrey View Post
Your A8 does not shudder?
No sir. Granted, I've only got about 1400 miles on her.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #140
ZLJeffrey

Quote:
No sir. Granted, I've only got about 1400 miles on her.
Here's hoping it never does!

I had a '16 CTS-V A8 which was totaled with about 15k miles on it. It had shudder. I thought about replacing it with either a new CTS-V or ZL1 and picked the ZL1 because of the A10. I didn't want to spend almost $100k rolling the dice on another A8.

BTW, love your posts and stable of cars!