Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-10-2018, 07:33 PM   #29
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeryl View Post

I rode motorcycles for many years and people would not believe the trash that is on the road (Highways/interstates). And the shoulders... The paved portion on the right side of the fog line is full of what we called alligators that you had to be very careful if you had to pull off to the side...

Yep. I would not pull over onto the shoulder on a motorcycle unless it was a serious emergency. Intersections/stop lines are also littered with sharp stuff.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:47 PM   #30
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-J View Post
I am not sure about that. I got a screw in my tire, run flat, and the pressure dropped twice and I had to drive on it. Got it plugged a few days later when I was off. Drove on it without issue after the repair. What took it out this time was construction debis in the street.One could be plugged and one replaced because the metal was wide and big. Run flats actually served their purpose and were just as good as a can of fix-a-flat that may or may not work. I have had that stuff break at the nozzle or not flow out the can properly more times than I can count. Run flats in my opinion perform better and more consistent but some are just scared to trust it. Neither will work if the side wall is shredded so I really don't see the purpose of going that route.
Thought plugging a run flat was a no go...
Old 12-10-2018, 09:15 PM   #31
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C 1SS 1LE View Post
Thought plugging a run flat was a no go...

You can plug it one time if it's not near the edge of the tread. I did that on one of mine at Discount Tire when I picked up a screw. There's some info online about the repair policies for run flats from the various manufacturers.

When I got the Continentals, I put the plug kit and 12v air pump in the trunk.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:55 AM   #32
TopCatGr

Drives: 2017 LS 3.6L HyperBlue
Lightbulb Another FULL SIZE spare tire option

Hey folks,

I, too, was rather surprised to find no spare tire, just the repair kit! I read this thread and others about the $$Modern Spare option, or run flats, etc. Due to the weight of the car, the low stance, and the chance of getting stuck out in bumsuck country, I wanted a FULL SIZED spare that wouldn't break the bank. Here's my solution complete with images and video for illustration/proof of concept.

I have a plain 2017 LS V6 model, but as was mentioned with the Modern Spare for the SS with extra large/wide Brembo calipers, this can still be viable option with an inexpensive spacer, they have universal styles 1" or thinner for around $22.00 on eBay. Here's an item, and links to seller as well for FYI.

Universal wheel spacer
https://www.ebay.com/usr/speedway_mo...p2047675.l2559
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-B.../381324126726?

Okay, let's get started. I learned that the early model Camaro Steel rims have same lug spacing/center opening and are only 7.5" wide. The Rim was $67.00 on Ebay Shipped.

Found that a 215/55R-18 tire will be about 9" wide mounted, and the same height ~27" as OEM. I got a used one for $50.00, you can find some no name generic NEW ones around $60-70 as well!

But you can see it's no where as wide as OEM, but still several inches wider than the ~5" Modern Spare!

The Next problem is the JACK. Saw the inflatable ones for 4x4's and thought they would be better, fit under the frame easier especially when 1 tire is flat. They have them in 4 ton and lighter 3 ton models. I got the 3 ton type for about $87.00 off eBay. It's supposed to be able to inflate with the Exhaust, but the scavenging cone is the same diameter as the single tip on mine, tried plugging the other tip with rags, but the volume was just too little,or was leaking around mating edge, thought about cutting it down so it might fit more snugly INSIDE the cone of the exhaust tip, but just didn't bother.

The kit also provides a schrader valve tip for use with a compressor, I was at my house, so I used my large compressor, but it should work with a small cig lighter/access powered mini compressor, just will take a little while!

The other thing was WHERE to position it under the frame. There is a frame member behind the front wheel, just need to push it far enough under the frame, I first had too much sticking out around the body and the jack bag tried to squeeze out the side some. Repositioned and reinflated and worked fine.

The rear tire lift point is more problematic, because there are several insulation mounting pins/bolts sticking out/downward and could puncture the jack bag.

So, I think the better place would be under the axle/swingarm section just inward of the rear tire.

I used a large tire T-wrench, it needs to have a 7/8" size to fit the lug nuts.

Here's a short video clip showing the jack/bag inflated enough to lift the front wheel off the ground.
:link in case embed doesn't work.

https://i.imgur.com/IWhCEdA.mp4

Here's the spare mounted on the axle, plenty of clearance of OEM calipers.

Video of same:
https://i.imgur.com/yBxxj6f.mp4

Finally, showing that this 9" wide wheel/tire will fit into the trunk opening, and inside and still not take up too much space, jack bad fits inside of wheel recess, wrench on side, that's my emergency tool kit bungeed down.

Okay, that's it, just showing another option for those that really want a full sized spare for piece of mind, YMMV.

T.C.
TopCatGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 03:28 AM   #33
Pickles

Drives: Audi RS3
Yes, I like the look of that, BUT, if you're replacing the rear rim & 305 tire, will that 305 tire & original rim fit into the boot?....I've heard not, in which case, what can happen to the original wheel, how will you take it with you after putting on the spare?.....I've also read on this site that the original ZL1 rear wheel & tire cannot be placed in the rear seat for temporary storage as it will not fit between the B pillar & fronf seat. Any thoughts?
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 04:30 AM   #34
cariboocreek

Drives: 2023 Corvette C8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCatGr View Post
Hey folks,

I, too, was rather surprised to find no spare tire, just the repair kit! I read this thread and others about the $$Modern Spare option, or run flats, etc. Due to the weight of the car, the low stance, and the chance of getting stuck out in bumsuck country, I wanted a FULL SIZED spare that wouldn't break the bank. Here's my solution complete with images and video for illustration/proof of concept.

I have a plain 2017 LS V6 model, but as was mentioned with the Modern Spare for the SS with extra large/wide Brembo calipers, this can still be viable option with an inexpensive spacer, they have universal styles 1" or thinner for around $22.00 on eBay. Here's an item, and links to seller as well for FYI.

Universal wheel spacer
https://www.ebay.com/usr/speedway_mo...p2047675.l2559
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-B.../381324126726?

Okay, let's get started. I learned that the early model Camaro Steel rims have same lug spacing/center opening and are only 7.5" wide. The Rim was $67.00 on Ebay Shipped.

Found that a 215/55R-18 tire will be about 9" wide mounted, and the same height ~27" as OEM. I got a used one for $50.00, you can find some no name generic NEW ones around $60-70 as well!

But you can see it's no where as wide as OEM, but still several inches wider than the ~5" Modern Spare!

The Next problem is the JACK. Saw the inflatable ones for 4x4's and thought they would be better, fit under the frame easier especially when 1 tire is flat. They have them in 4 ton and lighter 3 ton models. I got the 3 ton type for about $87.00 off eBay. It's supposed to be able to inflate with the Exhaust, but the scavenging cone is the same diameter as the single tip on mine, tried plugging the other tip with rags, but the volume was just too little,or was leaking around mating edge, thought about cutting it down so it might fit more snugly INSIDE the cone of the exhaust tip, but just didn't bother.

The kit also provides a schrader valve tip for use with a compressor, I was at my house, so I used my large compressor, but it should work with a small cig lighter/access powered mini compressor, just will take a little while!

The other thing was WHERE to position it under the frame. There is a frame member behind the front wheel, just need to push it far enough under the frame, I first had too much sticking out around the body and the jack bag tried to squeeze out the side some. Repositioned and reinflated and worked fine.

The rear tire lift point is more problematic, because there are several insulation mounting pins/bolts sticking out/downward and could puncture the jack bag.

So, I think the better place would be under the axle/swingarm section just inward of the rear tire.

I used a large tire T-wrench, it needs to have a 7/8" size to fit the lug nuts.

Here's a short video clip showing the jack/bag inflated enough to lift the front wheel off the ground.
:link in case embed doesn't work.

https://i.imgur.com/IWhCEdA.mp4

Here's the spare mounted on the axle, plenty of clearance of OEM calipers.

Video of same:
https://i.imgur.com/yBxxj6f.mp4

Finally, showing that this 9" wide wheel/tire will fit into the trunk opening, and inside and still not take up too much space, jack bad fits inside of wheel recess, wrench on side, that's my emergency tool kit bungeed down.

Okay, that's it, just showing another option for those that really want a full sized spare for piece of mind, YMMV.

T.C.
Lol. Now do a convertible.

A valid credit card, cell phone, and tow hook is all you really need.

Run flat tires simply suck.
2019 Camaro SS Convertible
2019 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible
2013 Corvette Grand Sport
2013 Challenger SRT 392
1995 Camaro Z28
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 05:33 AM   #35
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Nothing... A cell phone for a tow if ever needed. I used to have AAA RV because I ride motorcycle too, but I did the math a while back and I've paid well over what I'd pay for any Tow in premiums... So what's the point? I dropped the AAA and if I need a tow I'll just get the tow and get what I can reimbursed via my auto insurance.

If you never use the trunk the spare tire thing isn't a bad idea, but a huge part of the way the wife and I use the Camaro is destination golf. Toss both sets of clubs in the car, drive to a destination for golf for the day and drive home. No way you are doing that with any spare tire. Already have to put the back seat down for the clubs. The fix a Flat kits I suppose ain't a bad idea, but it really depends on what kind of flat you get if those will even work. I guess I just decide not to worry about it and get a tow if ever needed.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 05:39 AM   #36
Jus Cruisin
Old Gearhead

Drives: 2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate
I've had cars without spares for years. Street rods, pro street muscle cars, Corvettes... Tire plug kit and a 12v compressor. I'll put up with the run flats on this Camaro for the time being but non-runflats will be the replacement tires and then the Viair compressor and plug kit will be in the trunk, er rear glove box.
Old 11-07-2022, 08:04 AM   #37
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605309
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:06 AM   #38
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Cell phone and $2 add-on to my insurance for tow coverage. Tow hook and spring spacers are in the foam trunk tray.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 12:10 PM   #39
truckrglenn

Drives: Chevy camaro
Been trying to get rid of my spare tire for years. It's a losing battle.
Old 11-07-2022, 12:26 PM   #40
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
I have a 12V air compressor and tire plug kit in my trunk. I also have roadside assistance thru 3 different companies if it's more serious than a leak. In my last 500,000 miles of driving I've needed a spare once but I've had dozens of leaks patched. The one time I needed a spare, it was my fault for not seeing the tire was flat before driving it.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .3000: 6/29/22
TPW : 8/15/22 . . . . . . 3800: 8/16/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22
ETA : 9/13/22. . . . . . . 5000: 9/08/22 . . . . . .6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ December 2023
Total MPG Average: 23.2 @ 34mph average over 20k+ mi.
Best MPG: 30.5 @ 51mph average over 220 mi.

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 01:39 PM   #41
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
I just pray it never happens. But if it does I will either baby it to a tire store if I’m close enough, or just park it and bring the wheel / tire to a tire store & back via Uber.

I did stub a tire once but it was a slow leak and I just put air in it until I got to a place where I could have it replaced.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 04:50 PM   #42
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
fingers crossed. the car has the factory flat repair still in there.