Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 12-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #15
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolbreezeNJ View Post
It is a fact that the base stock of oils are mostly the same as there is less then a handful of companies that make them. These are refineries and not craft brewers of beers.

Curiously if you look at the approved list there is not a single Amsoil oil on that list which just tells you they didn't test against that spec but I suspect many of us think quite highly of Amsoil. The approved Gen2 list is actually expansive which again probably says that the changes are minimal. Then you can also see between say Quaker State and Mobil 1 there is a 25% price difference which further tells me this Gen2 testing is chasing this stuff down a rat hole. IF GM is so concerned about valves then why don't they give us dual injection like Ford or Toyota?

I was simply trying to point out that reasonably priced oil can be found easily and you can see that by going to gmdexos.com and look at their approved list. I'm a Mobil1 guy so I'll go with that and for 5 quarts it isn't more then a few bucks more but I remain unconvinced that it will do crap as to the longevity of my engine or help with pre-detonation from the turbo charger that isn't in my engine.
Ok, I'll put it this way, M1 ESP is more expensive because it uses a different, more expensive base stock vs the other M1 oils. IMO, it's worth paying for.

Amsoil and other oils may not be DEXOS approved simply because they don't want to pay for the certification.

GM may not be doing dual injection because they feel like it's not necessary. We don't have any evidence of the LT1 requiring cleaning thus far.
DaveC113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #16
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Find a quality 5w-30 dexos oil and get regular oil analysis if you want to go a step further. Some people are "looking down" on others who dont use the new 0w-40 esp that, might i add, isnt even at dealers yet for the mass public. My dealer didn't even know they were switching over.

Regular, ongoing oil and filter changes is the most important...

I like:
Penzoil ultra platinum
Mobil 1
Amsoil
Valvoline

And oil filters would be
Royal purple
Mobil 1
BOSS
PF64
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:25 PM   #17
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares05050 View Post
Find a quality 5w-30 dexos oil and get regular oil analysis if you want to go a step further. Some people are "looking down" on others who dont use the new 0w-40 esp that, might i add, isnt even at dealers yet for the mass public. My dealer didn't even know they were switching over.

Regular, ongoing oil and filter changes is the most important...

I like:
Penzoil ultra platinum
Mobil 1
Amsoil
Valvoline

And oil filters would be
Royal purple
Mobil 1
BOSS
PF64
You do get the ESP oil is designed to produce less intake valve deposits, something you seem very concerned about?

I'm not "looking down" at people that don't use the #1 recommended oil for our cars, that's going way too far. But I definitely don't understand spending money on a performance vehicle then trying to save a few bucks on oil changes or tires. Do whatever floats your boat, catch cans, different oil than is recommended, IDGAF.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #18
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
I honestly don't get the "valve deposit" issue. The bad valve deposits are from a dirty intake tract where at certain temps the oil gets "baked" onto the valves. So without a lot of detail GM says this Gen2 helps that. "That" is what more specifically? Then you guys say this 0-40W does a better job at "that". Again what is "that"? I have yet to see any detailed tests so why would I believe these claims? Don't take me as argumentative but instead one who likes facts , number and data and not just marketing speak. I am an engineer who went into sales and marketing so I know how things get twisted and mis-represented.

I did my own checking on Mobil 1 ESP and it does say it is the only oil recommended for the Corvette but what Corvette? I can't find anything on exceptional valve deposit protection but ESP seems to stand for, "Emission Systems Protection" and if you do a little further reading it can be used in diesel vehicles with Diesel Particulate Filters, (DPF) , eg. Mercedes or VW or BMW or Chevy Cruze diesel vehicles. Other Mobil 1 oils cannot be used in diesel DPF motors unless you consider the "Turbo Diesel Formula" which I run in the winter.

Then I found a 2017 & 2018 Corvette Owners Manual online in PDF form from the Chevy site. Both said use Dexos 1 5W-30 and curiously enough it didn't even state the Gen2 oil that is showed in my 2018 Camaro Manual. The Corvette manual goes on to further say for track events use Mobil 1 15W-50 yet i don't see any mention of the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 oil anywhere in either a Corvette or Camaro Owners Manual.

So my work says this ESP OW-40 is something that somebody cooked up and then just got parroted around this forum . If others have some convincing data to the contrary then I'm all ears and eyes.

Last edited by CoolbreezeNJ; 12-08-2018 at 11:52 AM.
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #19
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolbreezeNJ View Post
I honestly don't get the "valve deposit" issue. The bad valve deposits are from a dirty intake tract where at certain temps the oil gets "baked" onto the valves. So without a lot of detail GM says this Gen2 helps that. "That" is what more specifically? Then you guys say this 0-40W does a better job at "that". Again what is "that"? I have yet to see any detailed tests so why would I believe these claims? Don't take me as argumentative but instead one who likes facts , number and data and not just marketing speak. I am an engineer who went into sales and marketing so I know how things get twisted and mis-represented.
I'm no oil expert but AFAIK the ESP oil has lower volatility, so less oil evaporates and makes it through the PCV system. This results in less deposits as well as lower chances for the oil mist to cause LSPI, or low speed preignition.

Also, GM engineers claim it flows better at low temps and some other stuff.

You're an engineer, if you're interested you can research it and come to your own conclusions. Factual information on the oil is out there, it's not my job to make a presentation on why the new oil is a better choice.

If that means I don't "Win" I'm fine with that. As I told WhoCares, do whatever floats your boat, it's your car, IDGAF.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #20
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Well I will use the oil my engine was built for and that is 5W30! Now if in the future it is discontinued then I will use the grade that GM recommends. I still use 5W30 in my 2005 Silverado 1500 truck with a 4.8 liter V8 and haven’t had any problems yet and it’s 14 years old. I do understand though what DaveC is saying about the new oil but I will continue using 5W30 in both of my Chevies.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:39 PM   #21
Whocares05050

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
You do get the ESP oil is designed to produce less intake valve deposits, something you seem very concerned about?

I'm not "looking down" at people that don't use the #1 recommended oil for our cars, that's going way too far. But I definitely don't understand spending money on a performance vehicle then trying to save a few bucks on oil changes or tires. Do whatever floats your boat, catch cans, different oil than is recommended, IDGAF.
Did I call you out by name? Or do you just have a guilty conciuous?

What chevy came out with and recommended the new oil is actually targeted to the corvette owners. What does your owners manual say? 5w-30? Did you personally get a notice from chevy stating the change over oil? Dod you get an email or mailing?

No. The care was designed for 5w-30 and now they now say they have a new oil that works as well and for the track you can even use a 5w-40.

Do you get regular oil analysis? Cause i do. Im quoting you here you said "different oil than recommended"

Go read your owners manual and let us know what it says....
Old 12-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #22
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares05050 View Post
Did I call you out by name? Or do you just have a guilty conciuous?

What chevy came out with and recommended the new oil is actually targeted to the corvette owners. What does your owners manual say? 5w-30? Did you personally get a notice from chevy stating the change over oil? Dod you get an email or mailing?

No. The care was designed for 5w-30 and now they now say they have a new oil that works as well and for the track you can even use a 5w-40.

Do you get regular oil analysis? Cause i do. Im quoting you here you said "different oil than recommended"

Go read your owners manual and let us know what it says....

Let me be very clear. You're an idiot.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #23
Whocares05050

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Let me be very clear. You're an idiot.
Im the idiot? But you are using oil outside what is layed out in your owners manual? I guess when presented by facts you just shut down and resort to 3rd grade tactics 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

What a dumbass
Old 12-09-2018, 02:48 PM   #24
Airfuel

Drives: '19 2SS M6.
From my owners manual.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2018, 02:50 PM   #25
Airfuel

From the Mobil one site:

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us...ne%20pager.pdf
Old 12-09-2018, 07:41 PM   #26
Whocares05050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfuel View Post
Thats exactly what i said. It was geared towards corvette owners and the oil just started coming out a month ago?

All 2018 and earlier owners manuals say 5w-30. Either is just fine and wont hurt it in any way. Pick whichever one you are comfortable with. Getting an oil analysis to me tells me much more than guessing as well. Chevy cant void someones warranty for using 5w30 when their owners manuals clearly state to do so. Think about all the owners who dont go on forums and use only their owners manuals.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #27
Airfuel

Same motor. Getting thick in here!?
Old 12-09-2018, 09:36 PM   #28
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfuel View Post
Same motor. Getting thick in here!?
Yeah it is the same engine from 2016 to 2019, but GM keeps changing the oil recommendation! 2016-17 recommendation was Dexos1 synthetic blend. Then Dexos1 full synthetic 5W-30 was recommended for 2018 - except for track use, where 0W-40 or 5W-40 Dexos2 was recommended. Now the 2019 recommendation is 0W-40 Dexos2...

Maybe GM keeps changing the recommendations because they're constantly analyzing results and learning how the engine responds to different oils over time? Wouldn't the 2019 recommendation be good for all 6th gen 6.2L engines?
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote