Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-10-2018, 06:23 PM   #1
Peelam

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS, Jet Black, M6
M6 Fluid Change Question

I was just wondering from those of you that have changed the fluid in your SS M6(MM6) Transmissions. Did you only change what was in the transmission itself or did you flush the cooler too?

I changed the fluid a couple weeks ago to see if it would help with the 2nd gear crunchiness but have been reading now that with the cooler the capacity is higher. I just wondering since i used RP Syncromax what the remaining fluid in the cooler might do and if i should have flushed it as well?

The RP seemed to have helped for a bit but i'm still getting the crunching even after the transmission has warmed up, not as bad but still there.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:13 PM   #2
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
I just changed the fluid in the transmission.... put in the D4 redline synthetic fluid. It didn't change the way it performed at all.. Most on here will say it helped, was not my experience though ... The only way I found to prevent the grind was to move the shifter to neutral between 3rd and 4th then go to 2nd. it works seamlessly, and I've gotten used to shifting this way.
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
breakskeet
Kevin

Drives: 2018 Callaway Camaro ZL1 1LE
Just changed fluid for the first time yesterday. 1600 miles on car. Used RP Syncromax and did not flush cooler. I can definitely notice smoother shifting with less "notchiness". Never had any "crunchiness". That sounds like a trip to the dealer may be warranted.
breakskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #4
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
I had a notchy time with my transmission as well. When you go to swap the fluid, run a couple qts of cheap ATF through the transmission to rinse it out a little. Worked like a charm for me. I ended up going with the ATF from amsoil.

Also, if your car was not perfectly level during your first fluid change, double check the fluid level.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
I agree with the above comments...I would only add to make sure you do not overfill.

Use the the 1/8" mechanics wire or the 6oz trick. Don't fill until it runs out of the fill port and call it good.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #6
Peelam

I'm fairly certain that i did not overfill it, will double check to be sure. I filled it until it just started to weep out the fill hole, then pulled out around 6oz or so. If it is overfilled can't be more than a couple ounces.

It was was doing the same thing shifting 1-2 and sometimes 2-3 before changing the fluid, that's why i changed it. It's better when its warmed up but still happens sometimes. I've been reading about what i think are similar quirks with this transmission. Also when you all say notchiness and i say crunchyness we are talking about the same thing. It more like a grinding through the shifter, but not a real gear grind(I know what that is). I hate to think its the syncros but that's what i'm starting to believe. I bought it used as a Certified Pre-owned back at the end of June, so no telling how the previous owner drove it.

Should i change it back to the GM stuff before taking it in for warranty?
Old 11-12-2018, 07:39 PM   #7
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Is royal purple the same color? How would they know what fluid you put in it. Dont tell them.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:00 PM   #8
Peelam

Nope it's purple hence Royal Purple.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #9
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
I only changed the fluid in the transmission (unbolted rear crossmember and supported trans).

As others have stated, the service manual stresses not to overfill the MM6. Here's a quote from the manual:

"IMPORTANT:
Transmission fluid level setting must be followed exactly as written or the
transmission may be overfilled or under filled. For fluid recommendations, Refer to Adhesives, Fluids, Lubricants, and Sealers (MM6)

Transmission fluid level MUST be 3.2 mm (1/8 inch) below (1) the fill plug. This can be done by one of the following methods:

1. Bend mechanics wire to 3.2 mm (1/8 inch) to check fluid level. Add or remove fluid as necessary.
2. Fill transmission until level with the bottom of the fill plug hole, then remove 240 ml (8 ounces) of fluid."

See the attachment in this post called "manual trans flush.pdf": https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500494

I also referenced this thread when I did mine: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492814

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote