Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 11-11-2018, 10:21 PM   #15
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
Off topic: is there a list of all the changes/differences on the 2019 MyLink?
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:45 AM   #16
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
Infotainment bus in the 2019’s have switched from MOST to EthernetAVB. This is a huge architectural change. I wouldn’t count on a way to upgrade.
Whether it is MOST or AVB (over Ethernet, which is just another name for QoS) doesn't matter to the question of installing the new Infotainment3 onto a MyLink2.5 module. The protocol changes only extend to the interface at the back of the unit, and this doesn't impact the application software layer.

If the MyLink2.5 HMI's and radios are similar in computational architecture and specifications (CPU, memory, storage, etc) to the units running Infotainment3, then the software is technically backwards compatible.

Ethernet for transmission is cheaper to deploy for the order of magnitude of greater components automakers are trying to stick onto the bus. Your cars are becoming their own IoT networks now with hundreds or modules wanting bus access. Fiber channel is superior for its' speed, bandwidth and diversity of channels; but its' costly. MOST can run on multiple transmission technologies, but they are ditching it for two reasons -- 1 is that they are building a bigger bus on ethernet for the cost savings to serve all these new systems being added and 2 is because MOST is no longer the walled garden it once was.

Also, just going to call this now -- automakers are going to get so cheap that they are going to run aluminum core cabling instead of copper to save 500$/vehicle and the recalls from that mistake are going to make the Takata airbag scandal look like a bargain. Cladded aluminum wiring fails in even the most optimal of environments. A vehicle sitting out in the elements is far from ideal.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:27 AM   #17
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
You realize alot of houses are powered with aluminum cable,that are outside the house, and exposed to the elements? There is nothing wrong with aluminum except that you need more of it to conduct the same amount of power, aka bigger sized wire, because it has more resistance than copper.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:25 AM   #18
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
You realize alot of houses are powered with aluminum cable,that are outside the house, and exposed to the elements? There is nothing wrong with aluminum except that you need more of it to conduct the same amount of power, aka bigger sized wire, because it has more resistance than copper.
For just power transmission of analog devices sure you can use straight aluminum at a higher gauge -- but the SNR is crap and isn't suitable for sensitive signaling. That is why in ethernet aluminum twisted pair is copper coated (called CCA, copper clad aluminum). Stick a UPS backup with digital AVR on a fully aluminum circuit and it will trigger protection far more often due to the frequent fluttering of the input voltage. If you use aluminum to run power to outlets outside the home (exterior plugs without sealed caps, screen room outlets, power to a shed), the quality is crap and they break down faster over time compared to pure copper wiring. CCA service life for buried runs, if placed in conduit is pretty good, but pure copper is still king for transmission quality, especially on sensitive equipment.

A CCA wire uses the copper coating for signaling and the aluminum core provides gauge for power transmission. It can do one or the other just fine, but sucks at doing both. Ever had a USB cable fail to charge and do data transfer at the same time between your phone and car or computer? That is why. The cable was made with CCA or aluminum instead of copper. Trying to run PoE devices over CCA triggers random faults as well. Monitoring long term stats between redundant interfaces on the same two pieces of network gear, one with copper and one with CCA, you'll notice the CCA interface logs jitter more often and has a higher worst case score historically. It's due to aluminum and CCA being more prone to interference.

When aluminum is used for large power delivery, such as pole based utility power to your home, you'll find that the fuses on the pole mounted transformers blow more often during heavy ionization if large isolators on the wire and shielding on the fuses are not used. But when a utility is being cheap, they would rather not deploy that extra expense everywhere and just roll a truck stocked with lower cost fuses to run out there when it does happen. If only utilities were required to provide the same SLA to all customers.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:02 AM   #19
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
Using aluminum to power a house is perfectly fine. It doesn't hurt the life of the transformer, if it did, it wouldn't be worth doing because of all the costs or repairing transformers, sending iu tr emergency teams, etc. ALL wire needs to be protected by a jacket or it oxidizes and corrodes, therefore not conducting as much electricity. They also use aluminum for ground mounted transformers as well, and those things arent cheap. Copper is king you are fight, but cars aren't houses, they arent meant to last nearly as long. Copper wire life underground is 40 years, aluminum is around 30, and that's underground, with moisture constantly all around it, but since it is in a jacket it doesn't matter. Now wire that's above ground, exposed to open air and possibly a little moisture is gonna last just as long if not much longer. The open free air helps reduce the temperature in the wires, which cause more electricity to flow. As Long as their isnt a ton of higher voltage running next to them, google calls it the proximity effect but I've always just called it leaching. To be fair, I dont know much about the analog smaller devices, but I'm learning schematics as I'm starting to work on well pumps and vfd drives drives. Completely un related I know, but look into vfd drives (variable frequency drive), it's the way of the future for almost everything electrically driven by a motor. You seem like you might be interested in stuff like that. I've been doing electrical for 17 years now and love talking about it, hah.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #20
2ssANT

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTsUp? View Post
Hey all, I noticed the 2019's got a very nice refresh to both the MyLink and digital dash software and, well, I want it. Is this something my dealer or I could update my 2018 1SS to, or are there new hardware requirements?
You can you have to change the module out
Old 10-23-2021, 05:50 PM   #21
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
And I dont know of any manufacture that offers hardware/software updates to roll new features out backwards to older vehicles. I know Ford doesnt, Audi doesnt and most other manufactures dont.
Um, Tesla. The car that gets better over time.

https://www.tesla.com/support/infotainment

https://youtu.be/3aPd_VMO-m4

Last edited by Plasar; 10-23-2021 at 06:06 PM.
Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:49 PM   #22
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasar View Post
Um, Tesla. The car that gets better over time.

https://www.tesla.com/support/infotainment

https://youtu.be/3aPd_VMO-m4
Not cheap, but at least it's available. This is something Tesla is doing well, and I welcome this kind of upset, because over time incumbents have become very complacent.
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, digital, mylink update, refresh 2019, software