Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-20-2018, 06:19 AM   #1
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
Car and driver lightning lap 2018

Sorry guys, stang gt pp2 beat the ss 1le by 1 second.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...inglap2018cars

Zr1 = wow
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:36 AM   #2
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
But you have to read the whole thing at Car & Driver:
"But with no differential cooler, the rear axle overheated every time we took the Mustang out, often in as few as three hot laps, and even with easy laps staggered between them."

The time is great, even though it was lapped on another day. But the overheat problems of the PP2 that are confirmed earlier in other reviews are really a huge letdown. Ford already had the same problem with the GT350 until they added the additional cooling to the standard equipment with MY2017.

It just seems like Ford is not capable of or is not wanting to build a real track car
Old 09-20-2018, 06:52 AM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Wow! The Hellcat beat the AMG C63 by two seconds. Guess it won't kill you driving off into a turn like Internet keyboard wizards would have you believe. That ZR1 is bad ass.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:03 AM   #4
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai View Post
But you have to read the whole thing at Car & Driver:
"But with no differential cooler, the rear axle overheated every time we took the Mustang out, often in as few as three hot laps, and even with easy laps staggered between them."

The time is great, even though it was lapped on another day. But the overheat problems of the PP2 that are confirmed earlier in other reviews are really a huge letdown. Ford already had the same problem with the GT350 until they added the additional cooling to the standard equipment with MY2017.

It just seems like Ford is not capable of or is not wanting to build a real track car
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No but they built a really fast GT which nobody in this forum ever expected to be able to run faster laps than a 1LE. The 1LE has enjoyed a monster tire/grip advantage for the past 5-6 years, that is no longer the case.

As to the cooling issue, it is valid and Ford should address in in next years model. Adding a differencial cooler shouldn't really be an issue now as the PP2 will not pose a threat to the improved GT350.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:14 AM   #5
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Drives: 2013 GB GT
Good showing for the PP2 , terrible showing for the FGT. Seems about right for the ZR1... on faster tracks where it can make use of it's aero it will be a monster, while on tighter tracks you will be fighting the keep the rear end in check too much.

I'm skeptical Ford will add coolers to the PP2, because it would just make it to competitive with the 350.

Interesting quote for a car with a poor chassis, numb steering, and single pot rear brakes. apparently you can make up for 4000yrs of chassis development in 6 months in 2018...

"The Performance Package Level 2 kit builds from the ground up, starting with a set of Michelin’s track-magic Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires—same size at each corner—that stick to the pavement like duct tape. The Mustang hammers through Turn 1 at 1.13 g’s, cornering harder than the McLaren 720S, Porsche 911 GT3, and Ford’s own supercar. It turns in instantly, steers with perfect clarity, and changes direction with the kind of neutral balance you wouldn’t expect from a front-engined car. Magnetorheological dampers rein in body motions. Six-piston Brembos gnaw on upsized front rotors for indefatigable braking. In taming VIR, the Mustang GT PPL2 trades American brashness for the world-class manners of a Porsche GT car."

Last edited by FastCarFanBoy; 09-20-2018 at 07:49 AM.
FastCarFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:19 AM   #6
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No but they built a really fast GT which nobody in this forum ever expected to be able to run faster laps than a 1LE. The 1LE has enjoyed a monster tire/grip advantage for the past 5-6 years, that is no longer the case.

As to the cooling issue, it is valid and Ford should address in in next years model. Adding a differencial cooler shouldn't really be an issue now as the PP2 will not pose a threat to the improved GT350.
I still don't. Unless I missed a same day test, mark me down on the skeptical list.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:42 AM   #7
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Well the entire Ford camp has been saying it has to be same day same track for it to be legit. So we'll just have to wait. I still put my money that the SS 1LE on the same day and same track will spank the GT.

And even if it doesn't, THE GT HAD ALL THIS TIME TO CATCH UP. Congrats, you FINALLY beat the SS 1LE. It just took all these years, a huge makeover, a bunch of engineers working off the clock, and a price hike to do it. And it still wasn't done on the same day. Sorry newmoon. I am not impressed by even one bit even if it does manage to pull off a victory. Because with Ford, the only time they can win is when going against something GM has had out for years already.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:10 AM   #8
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Excuse 1... Not same day.

I figured we should start a list.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:15 AM   #9
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
The zr1 beat fords limited edition 3x more expensive ford gt by 6 seconds lmao. That’s pretty embarrassing
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:18 AM   #10
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
The zr1 beat fords limited edition 3x more expensive ford gt by 6 seconds lmao. That’s pretty embarrassing
Werd
Old 09-20-2018, 08:23 AM   #11
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
lol. There is always going to be "excuses" in every comparison for the loser.

I give the PP2 the credit for winning and being able to run faster for 1 single lap. Congrats to Ford.

"So just put a dif cooler on it and call it a day?" Right. OK. Well then. Lets put those tires on the Camaro 1LE and see what happens.

and thus, here begins an endless pointless debate.

Same day, same tires, same setup and equipment. Then lets race em! But it will never happen b/c that's just what the factory offers, so we have to compare them with what they offer. In their current offerings, the Mustang is faster by a hair for a lap or two...then the track proven 1LE leads the way and never looks back.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:31 AM   #12
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
lol. There is always going to be "excuses" in every comparison for the loser.

I give the PP2 the credit for winning and being able to run faster for 1 single lap. Congrats to Ford.

"So just put a dif cooler on it and call it a day?" Right. OK. Well then. Lets put those tires on the Camaro 1LE and see what happens.

and thus, here begins an endless pointless debate.

Same day, same tires, same setup and equipment. Then lets race em! But it will never happen b/c that's just what the factory offers, so we have to compare them with what they offer. In their current offerings, the Mustang is faster by a hair for a lap or two...then the track proven 1LE leads the way and never looks back.
Fair point here ^ The way the cars are offered as from the factory we now have two results. One for Laguna Seca and one for VIR. At Laguna, the 1LE was still faster, at VIR the PP2 was faster. Conclusion is that Ford offers a car now that won't get its ass handed to it on a silver platter like before. 1LE is still obviously the more track ready package. That should be about the end of any debating/arguing etc etc. Side note, I still think Ford screwed up not offering coolers on it. Mostly now because in two reviews it has overheated, and that is a bad look IMO.

And the ZR1 doing ZR1 things just beating the piss out of everything!
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:31 AM   #13
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCarFanBoy View Post
Excuse 1... Not same day.

I figured we should start a list.
Add the above tires excuse to your list.
Amazing ha
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #14
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Add the above tires excuse to your list.
Amazing ha
I don't think they will make the tire excuse. He was just pointing out that there will be those who say just add coolers to the PP2...opening Pandora's Box