Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-27-2018, 09:18 PM   #15
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
The torque converter shudder is very obvious and would not be mistaken for the NPP rattle or the AFV.

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this as this has been a long and painful process for me leaving me without my car for almost 4 of the 20 months that I have owned it. Currently the car has approx. 4,500 miles on it and they have done the following.

Trans reflash. No effect but they sent me home anyway.

Trans Flush 3X, Reflash. Better for the drive home. As soon as I was able to get the trans up to temp the issue returned.

[B]New Converter, Reflash - Better for a while. No shudder but trans stopped shifting about 100 miles later.

Replace Transmission, Replace Torque Converter, Reflash and obviously fluid. All was well for about 1000 miles until the shudder returned.

Replaced Torque Converter again. Refilled transmission. Problem gone.

Replaced Transmission, Converter and new fluid Again
. Erratic shifting around 2500 miles. Found metal flakes in the transmission. Looked like glitter in the transmission. Attributed this to the last failed converter. All was well for almost 1500 miles.

Fast forward to last Saturday. Pulled the car out to go to lunch and found a huge puddle of transmission fluid under the car. Towed to dealer. Said trans line is cracked and needs to be replaced. Part should be here in a few days.

Was really hoping that is was another trans issue as I would have a case for lemon law here in IL.

This will be my last GM vehicle. I went through issues with my 5th Gen. and hoped that the 6th Gen would be better. I was wrong. Turns out they can build a worse car than the 5th gen.
Thats some bull crap you had to go through man.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:26 PM   #16
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkmangc View Post
Looking at a newer 2ss or even a little older C7. With A8. But damn this really scares me from buying a huge headache. Wonder how common this is with the A8. On this and other forums it sounds really common. Is it covered under the longer powertrain warranty?
Newer cars.. not common at all.
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:43 AM   #17
init4fun

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
Thats some bull crap you had to go through man.
Agreed but it seems to be the norm if you want to drive anything from GM. I use to love my Camaro. While it is still fun to drive I can honestly say that it's more of a headache than it's worth. When others tell me they want one I simply tell them to buy anything else and pull the repair tickets out as proof.
init4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:49 AM   #18
Capisce

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
12.5K miles on a '16 and the shudder just started for me. So disappointing
Old 08-28-2018, 01:29 PM   #19
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Safe to say a buyer can minimize risk by going with m6?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:37 PM   #20
baf2000

Drives: 2016 1ss
My car seems to have the exact trouble too ( #16-NA-175 ) .
In my research it seems this problem exists across all GM products with this trans. Shame on GM. Taking my Camaro into the Dealer so we shall see ...
baf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:03 PM   #21
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
After reading some posts on here and the Corvette Forum I decided to install the Range AFM disabler. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...er-butter.html
The device plugs into the OBDII port and prevents the A8 from going in and out of 4 cyc mode. I thought I was imagining that the transmission shifts better with the Range unit. I purchased it directly from Range to be sure I got the latest software version. My 1-2 shift is definitely better with the unit and the transmission is smoother and more responsive. I had the shutter and flush performed and just want to try and protect the Torque Converter as much as possible.
We should not have to deal with this crap but it is what it is.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:52 PM   #22
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
At what point can the communities of Silverado, Sierra, Colorado, Canyon, Corvette, Camaro, ATS-V, CTS-V (did I miss any) come together and form some kind of large case against GM on this horrible blunder???

At the VERY least, an extended warranty on the 8 speed is in order here.

I myself don't have many miles on my car, so I haven't gone through any bad issues with my A8, although I have had the shudder also (its pretty obvious when it happens...its like hitting side of the road rumble strips on an otherwise smooth road), but its pretty obvious this TC + the tune they are using is a mess.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #23
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
I believe Buick uses the A8 as well. Agree that GM should stand behind the Transmission issue and give a lifetime warranty on it.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #24
70chevelleSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1970 chevelle SS
good lord man. That is wild. That is the definition of a lemon right there. To the OP, The Consensus is the only really permanent fix is a new converter and then a trans tune.
70chevelleSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:15 AM   #25
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevelleSS View Post
good lord man. That is wild. That is the definition of a lemon right there. To the OP, The Consensus is the only really permanent fix is a new converter and then a trans tune.
I'm assuming an aftermarket trans tune.

This is what I've read also. A tune to zero out the slip.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:42 AM   #26
70chevelleSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

Yep. Tune out the slip, And I think locking the converter in the higher gears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2018, 08:50 AM   #27
70chevelleSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

For what it’s worth, I own an A8 2017SS That, thankfully has not given me much issue with the shuddering. I have driven an A8 ss 2016 that had an aftermarket trans tune and the difference is unbelievable. Felt like a completely different car. There is a ton of potential in the trans tune alone.

I’m considering an aftermarket trans tune for mine, or either trading in for a 6speed. I love the car, don’t love the transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2018, 09:46 AM   #28
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I sold my 16 A8 for a 18 M6 to get away from this. My TC was changed at 12k miles and still worked perfect at 20k miles. I just didn't want to risk it coming back and, honestly, missed driving a manual.

The other factor for me was that my 16 had the headliner replaced so the rear package shelf rattled badly after.

My fingers are crossed that the 18 will be without issues that require a dealer to touch it. Once a car has been taken apart it seems they are never quite the same.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote