Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 06-03-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
Daniel_94kg

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Krypton Green
Supercharged Camaro or Supercharged Coyote? - Which is better?

For those interested. I have owned a supercharged S550 Mustang and now the Supercharged Camaro SS 1LE. Here's my unbiased opinion on which platform works better with just bolting on a supercharger to a stock engine.

Daniel_94kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:36 AM   #2
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Nice car man! Good, honest video.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:23 PM   #3
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Can you type out an answer rather than trying to promote and advertise your YouTube channel on the forum (even though you are not a forum sponsor).. thx

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
slowlypullin

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Good video.
slowlypullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:45 PM   #5
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Dude, if you spent $6k on a supercharger, you can spend a few hundred bucks on a camera that doesn't go in and out of focus. Otherwise interesting opinion.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:30 AM   #6
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP great video!! Much more info than typing. You are so on target with that opinion IMO.

I had a '13 SS M6 1LE I twin turboed which with well over 600 to the wheels could only do an 11.4. CA6 bolton SS A8s would smoke that car. I spent over $10K on that beast. Then I went full bolton on my CA6 M6 SS and was about to bolt on a Paxton. $6k just buys the supercharger. So once you add injectors, a tune, and a front seal replacement, you are up around $8K. And if you want to go bigger you run out of fuel quickly.

So I sold my SS and put that $8K+ towards a ZL1. And sadly went A10 to avoid the built-in GM SS/ZL1 M6 bog. But I am an A10 convert. I do miss my own shifting sometimes but this auto is a better all around fast car and cruiser. And I can play with the paddles if I get too bored. They will bury me in it.

Have you run your 1LE at the track yet? I am curious how that turned out. The M6 bog for sure held me back to low 11.8s in my SS.

On the Mustang side I have a good friend who had Paxtoned 3 Coyotes all Autos, a '13 (490 whp), a '15 (630 whp), and a '17 (600 whp). Same setup each time except the '13 was low boost. Each one had the Paxton, injectors, tune, and DRs. That's it. Each one was supercharged for $6K or a little less (+tires).

His best times:

'13 - 10.8
'15 - 10.6 (explosive 1-2 shift so he sold it. LOL)
'17 - low 10.3 in good Atco air

Right now the '17 is for sale, mid $30k with less than 5K miles I think. Anyone want a fast Coyote to go with your Camaro? My friend wants an '18. He has more $$ than sense just like me.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:11 PM   #7
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
As far as HP and TQ is concerned, you can get way more out of a Coyote engine than out of these LT1 engines. Even the Gen 1 Coyotes take better to boost than the current LT1 does. But the Camaros have better suspension, brakes, axles, etc. So if you took both cars and boosted them and did nothing else, you'd probably get more out of the Camaro than the GT.

If I were buying one of these cars with the intention to throw a blower on it, I'd probably get the Mustang and build it all the way. Because seeing as how the Gen 3 Coyotes are in the upper 700s on boost, that's kinda hard to turn down. But that is the thing between both cars. Ford builds an impressive engine/trans but then surrounds it with crappy stuff. GM builds a great car but then stuffs a very limited (comparatively) engine in it. Ford needs to build the entire car better. GM needs to put a better cam, heads, and put some stronger pistons and rods in the engine. But I would guess that these cars would both skyrocket in price if all that was to happen.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #8
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
As far as HP and TQ is concerned, you can get way more out of a Coyote engine than out of these LT1 engines. Even the Gen 1 Coyotes take better to boost than the current LT1 does. But the Camaros have better suspension, brakes, axles, etc. So if you took both cars and boosted them and did nothing else, you'd probably get more out of the Camaro than the GT.

If I were buying one of these cars with the intention to throw a blower on it, I'd probably get the Mustang and build it all the way. Because seeing as how the Gen 3 Coyotes are in the upper 700s on boost, that's kinda hard to turn down. But that is the thing between both cars. Ford builds an impressive engine/trans but then surrounds it with crappy stuff. GM builds a great car but then stuffs a very limited (comparatively) engine in it. Ford needs to build the entire car better. GM needs to put a better cam, heads, and put some stronger pistons and rods in the engine. But I would guess that these cars would both skyrocket in price if all that was to happen.
Nailed it. ^

But either stock engine can be built to mostly be reliable into the nines in the 1/4. But you will be spending more on the SS as the OP pointed out.

IMO once your car runs 9s you have built a race car as most tracks will kick you out if you run that fast without a cage and more.

To me at some point more power has diminishing returns and most certainly is unusable and dangerous on the street. But still fun.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:56 AM   #9
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Nailed it. ^

But either stock engine can be built to mostly be reliable into the nines in the 1/4. But you will be spending more on the SS as the OP pointed out.

IMO once your car runs 9s you have built a race car as most tracks will kick you out if you run that fast without a cage and more.

To me at some point more power has diminishing returns and most certainly is unusable and dangerous on the street. But still fun.
I'd also throw in that once you approach 9s you should have a roll bar installed in the car along with other safety equipment. Its not something you wished you had done once its too late. Running 135-140 mph in a 1/4 anything can happen and you are in the wall, into another car, or worse yet flying through the air.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #10
torqueaddict

Quote:

The jury is still out on how impressive the gen3 Coyote is. Sure, they make good power, but for how long? Right now, they've got some quality issues that involve valve, long and short block replacements. Hopefully it's just a bump in the road that Ford is going to take care of.

As for the tranny, I assume you meant the automatic. Because the MT82 is a little better than crap compared to the TR6060.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:36 PM   #11
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
The jury is still out on how impressive the gen3 Coyote is. Sure, they make good power, but for how long? Right now, they've got some quality issues that involve valve, long and short block replacements. Hopefully it's just a bump in the road that Ford is going to take care of.

As for the tranny, I assume you meant the automatic. Because the MT82 is a little better than crap compared to the TR6060.
I haven't seen a whole lot of issues with the MT82 trans. I hear people complain about it...just like I hear people complain about the SS 8 sp trans. But I'm not sure how founded those complaints really are. Buddy of mine is pushing over 800 RWHP on his 15 GT...boost, cams, LTs, GT350 IM, etc all on the stock shortblock and M6 trans. No issues soo far. The Gen 3 Coyote tho, I'm not sure how reliable they are but I think time will prove that they can handle a lot. I think it might be more that these guys are super excited about the 18s that they're pushing them further than they should. But we'll see all in due time. What I've seen so far is that they're hitting over 800 RWHP on boost with nothing else done.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:20 AM   #12
torqueaddict

Quote:
I haven't seen a whole lot of issues with the MT82 trans. I hear people complain about it...just like I hear people complain about the SS 8 sp trans. But I'm not sure how founded those complaints really are. Buddy of mine is pushing over 800 RWHP on his 15 GT...boost, cams, LTs, GT350 IM, etc all on the stock shortblock and M6 trans. No issues soo far. The Gen 3 Coyote tho, I'm not sure how reliable they are but I think time will prove that they can handle a lot. I think it might be more that these guys are super excited about the 18s that they're pushing them further than they should. But we'll see all in due time. What I've seen so far is that they're hitting over 800 RWHP on boost with nothing else done.
The ongoing problems with the MT82s are plastered all over the web. Grinding and lockout issues seem to be the norm. Now with the 2018s, they are still grinding, but breaking shift forks due to a design change. There will always be owners that luck out a get one that works as it should. Still, there's a reason Ford put a TR6060 in the GT500.

The Camaro's A8 deserves the bad rep regarding the shudder. No argument there. They may have done something on the 2018s to help, but it's too early to tell. Hopefully, they got it right with the A10.

Regardless of engine though, if I'm going to to spend thousands to boost, I'd do it right - build it from the bottom up. Playing Russian Roulette with the engine can end up costing the same or more in the long run, IMO.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #13
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
I coworker has a 6spd '18 GT. Very smooth and positive shifts, he enjoys it. I got to drive it, zero detectable issues.

I'm not sure if the TR6060 would be able to consistently handle a 7400rpm redline shift.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:08 PM   #14
torqueaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke.Malvo View Post
I coworker has a 6spd '18 GT. Very smooth and positive shifts, he enjoys it. I got to drive it, zero detectable issues.

I'm not sure if the TR6060 would be able to consistently handle a 7400rpm redline shift.

The TR6060 is a stronger tranny, period. That's why there are so many mustang owners swapping the MT82s for the TR6060, especially when modding.

It's not even debatable. Are there MT82s holding good power and without issues? Sure. But there are quite a few that aren't, even the newest ones. I understand that no tranny is perfect (you will see TR6060 issues talked about as well), however, there are just too many complaints and broken MT82s for it to be normal.

Glad your coworker lucked out.

Here's a first hand look at some of the issues:

This guy would sleep with his Mustang if it was possible, and even he brought it up: